I'll Beat Him to the Punch...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Eldon (EX-WINGER on the Forum) bought a red ESA FJR1300 yesterday. He blames it on Chuck.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
As I said before "The Times, They Are A Changing" Congratulation Eldon. Be very careful on the FeeGeR as it is very, ah how you say, "Spirited"

SAM_3984.jpg

SAM_3971.jpg

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I was watching youtube where guys were seeing how fast they could go on their FJR's. I think I saw one at 160 mph.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I was watching youtube where guys were seeing how fast they could go on their FJR's. I think I saw one at 160 mph.
Don't think I will ever see that on my speedo. 130 on my ST once was too fast for me. But I do like the Get Up and Go when passing another vehicle. Thought the ST1300 was fast, but this FJR is faster hands down. Just a little bit different than the NT700.:eek:

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I put on a riser plate about 1 inch up and back and also a C-Bailey 21" shied. I have the seat on the higher position to help with the knees a bit. I have the inseam to reach the ground. Pretty much the same I have done with the Wee, the ST, and the NT. Also have risers on my DR. When are you getting your Rick?:eek: PS: the seat and my Butt are getting along as of now. Rode the 950 miles back from Texas in two days and had no problems.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Warren, the best that Motorcycle Consumer News got out of a 2013 FJR was a smidge over 150 mph at a 9k redline. The ECU rev limits at 10K rpm, I think.

My impressions: the stock seat is pretty good. The stock windshield will not provide enough protection if you are 6 feet tall. The original owner of mine installed an MCL handlebar riser plate that moved the grips up an inch and back an inch. Works out perfectly for me. The cruise control is great. Haven't tested the ABS or the built in grip heaters.

The horn is anemic. The Gen III's ('13 on) only have one horn, not two, installed up front.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I've had my '13 FJR for a bit over a year, now. I installed basically the same farkles I put on the NT. In a couple of cases I moved specific farkles from the NT to the FJR.

The CC on the FJR did eliminate any need for a throttle lock. But I have found my cramp buster useful for those in-between times on the FJR.
The OEM heated handgrips also are nice.

FWIW, the average mileage computer is more accurate on the FJR. Generally about 1 MPG or so off.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I had a long report written and it went away when I hit a wrong key, too tired to doit all over again, I will try and answer Rick's question though. I have the helibar riser on my nt, this was after having the 1 up & 1 back on it which didn't do enoughfor me,My NT riding position is very close to that of GL1800 Wing same for the freeway pegs. I can ride this position for all day with no breaks otherthanfuel and bathroom stops, usurally at the same time. Riding the FJRhome and over the 100 miles I rode will say my arms , shoulders and back and hands were all talking to me so it will have to be fixed similar to the NT egros as it sets right now. I am not certain about the seat, but probably a Russel Sport saddle is in the works, lthough at this time it feels OK, much better than Hondas stock NT seat. Again Rick , I think you are enough taller than me that the stock FJR windshield will have to be replaced, I have a 6 over on my NT and I think the fjr will require about the same, I have been told that the Ca Science W/shield out of Sacramento is very good on this bike, I may ride down there and check them out if they will allow that to happen.

I will also say this bike is very quick and I have not done much more than 1/4th throttle on mine. I would compare it to my 07 Vette for power and acceleration, and I have not tested it either from dead stop, nor from 55 to90, 1/2 to 3/4 throttle is really all that is needed to come on like gangbusters, I have not attempted to run the Vette to its full potential, and probably never will utilize all that is available with the FMore later,

eldon

Last edited:

Silver Ranger

For me the setup out of the box was good. However I moved the bars to the back position. No risers. Added the Yamaha touring windscreen. Installed a Laam seat. Any problems I had with my knees on the NT are gone. I feel the FJR fits a taller rider much better than the NT. This winter I may add highway pegs so I can move my legs around more.

I have zero regrets with the trade from the NT to the FJR. Better wind protection, better handling, power windshield, removable bags, cruise control, and best off all drive mode. It's a smooth and confortabe ride in touring and it will put a smile on your face that will last all day in sport.

Rick I think you could go with a Russell, taller windshield and put the bars all the way back and would be as good or better than the NT.

Bike
Silver Ranger,

Is there a way to tell for sure where the bars are for position? I have studied the owners manual and it says very little. Where was yours set when it came out of the box? Rick is just enough taller and longer armed that you could be right on with your suggestions another inch of arm reach would be nice on mine as it sets. I certainly agree with you regarding all the other good positive things included with the new bike. I wanted to ride today once it warmed up, but I had honey dews to take care of and also had to go see my insurance agent!

Eldon

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Bah humbug!

I was looking at the Moto Guzzi Norge to replace my NT. Now I'm going to have to look at the FJR as well!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Even as biased as I am :) I think the FJR or Connie are much better rigs than the Norge. The Norge and R1200RT are similar, but, the beemers have always had such good fairings. The only down side I could see was insurance rates and speeding tickets. :)

Silver Ranger

Mine were set in the middle position. Latter today I go out and take a photo or two and some measurement for you with the bars all the way back.

If you have not done so yet join FJRforum.com. Lots of good info.

Silver Ranger

Mine were set in the middle position. Latter today I go out and take a photo or two and some measurement for you with the bars all the way back.

If you have not done so yet join FJRforum.com. Lots of good info.

Bike
I did another 100 mile ride today , went to dealers and added batt tender cord, and had bars moved to most rearward position put about 7o miles on them after that. It helped , but I am going to add risors , probably Heli , I think that will \make it suit me much better!

Eldon

Bike
Chuck, That looks about like the one heli brs has out for FJR. Did you have to change your brake line , or put a extension into it?

Eldon

Top Bottom