Im exploring Dual Sport tyres on a NT700. Any thoughts, experiences...regrets?

Horizon

Im exploring Dual Sport tyres on a NT700. Anyone have any thoughts, recommendations, opinions or experiences?

While touring somewhere like Tasmania I would like the freedom of hitting some slightly dirtier roads if they call to me but Im unsure if this is unwise or if dual sport tyres would even make much difference....or, if dual sports would make the rest of the tarmac less safe of comfortable. I will be fully loaded and two up also.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If you do that, you'd better raise the front fender as clearance is already tight so any mud packed into the cleats of a true dual-sport tires could bring the bike to a halt.

I've ridden many BMW singles and twins on foreign trips and the tour company guys always rave about Michelin Tourance tires for their mileage and durability and I can attest to their grip on both dirt & blacktop. No, they're not like having a real off-road "knobby" but good enough considering the bike onto which they're fitted. I don't have a clue as to what sizes are available for the Tourance.

androu

Im exploring Dual Sport tyres on a NT700. Anyone have any thoughts, recommendations, opinions or experiences?

While touring somewhere like Tasmania I would like the freedom of hitting some slightly dirtier roads if they call to me but Im unsure if this is unwise or if dual sport tyres would even make much difference....or, if dual sports would make the rest of the tarmac less safe of comfortable. I will be fully loaded and two up also.

I've considered this as well, as there are a lot of dirt/gravel roads to explore where I live. The choices are pretty limited if you want to stay with the original (OEM) size, but you may be able to fit a slighter wider or taller tire with no real ill effects. If you try it. let us know how it works out.

OP
OP

Horizon

Clearance is worth keeping in mind as you say DirtFlier, most of my touring is done two up fully loaded and pushing 460kg so mud is perhaps not wise path to take....but one can always get caught off guard.... I like those odds

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Metzler makes the Tourance and it doesn't come in a 17" size. I can't remember seeing a dual-sport front tire in anything smaller than a 19" wheel size. But I'm going to be following this thread!

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
My concern would be suspention componants. A dirt road can be bumpy, pot holed, etc... Even being slow and carefull I would think street bike fork seals may not hold up well, especially 2 up and loaded down. Not sure about the rear shock durability. I do know that my Kawasaki front fork seals only last 2 -3 years with my dirt driveway only being close to a mile long and that bike only gets 3000 miles a year on a good year. Fork tubes are in good shape on that bike, but the seals seem to start leaking sooner than I would hope and I think it is due to my subdivisions dirt road.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I am not certain of size compatibility , but the AK80 is a very fine dual sport tire, I have seen them on BMW R---R series bieeks, but don't have specificts ETC

I will be watching for updates on this subject as I am also interested. I have had the PR-3's in gravel and on wet grass / dirt, and they were a weak OK, but even with a off road background I had to be on the careful side and really watch what I was doing and where I was going .

Phil I understand why you and most likley Rick will be watching this for information with your epic ride. for the northern tier part of your ride a good dual sport set would be veryh highly recomended.

Eldon

Bob

My concern would be suspention componants. A dirt road can be bumpy, pot holed, etc... Even being slow and carefull I would think street bike fork seals may not hold up well, especially 2 up and loaded down. Not sure about the rear shock durability. I do know that my Kawasaki front fork seals only last 2 -3 years with my dirt driveway only being close to a mile long and that bike only gets 3000 miles a year on a good year. Fork tubes are in good shape on that bike, but the seals seem to start leaking sooner than I would hope and I think it is due to my subdivisions dirt road.
This earlier thread looked at putting some Triumph Gaitors on the front forks to provide some seal protection.

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?1126-Installing-Triumph-fork-gaitors

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I had a Vstrom before the NT700 and I had Michelin Anakee 2 tyres on that bike and I was very happy on the road, highway or dirt roads (but I never travelled on dirt trails)

I just checked the Michelin website and the rear tyre that fits the Vstrom also fits the NT700 so you could use an Anakee 2 on the rear. They do not make a front tyre in the correct size for the NT700V.

Alternately you could look at the Pirelli Scorpion dual purpose tyre. They are available in the correct sizes for the NT700V and if I remember correctly they are a dual compound tyre so they should be good for Highways as well as dirt roads and country roads.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
That's an interesting idea, Chuck. How do you like the Shinkos? What size do you have on the Wee? I've always liked the look of that tire and thought it would be a good one to try out.
I really do like the Shinkos on the Wee. They hook up very good on the twisty pavement and I don't even slow down when the pavement ends and the road turns to a dirt road. They are very inexpensive and the jury is still out on the longevity. However for the price I can change them more often. I have almost 7000 miles on the front and expect the another 6 to 7 k. On the rear I have only 2600 miles I expect that I have about 5 to 6 k more on those. Both tires are the OEM size for the Wee. 150/70-17 Rear (69HTL) and 110/80-19 Front (59HTL). Neather, front or rear tire is showing signs of squaring off yet. I do ride them a bit hard in the mountain twisties when there is no gravel on the road. I payed $172 for the set from Keel Brothers out of Georgia. They do a lot of the ST Owners tire business. Good folks and good service/prices.

In Short. I will put them on again when the time comes.

OP
OP

Horizon

no1gtkid

I agree the Shinkos are good I used on my Shadow then went to Kendas, I have also used the Kendas on my CRF and I just installed the Anakee on my KLR. Since I mainly ride street and wanted 80/20 split.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I agree the Shinkos are good I used on my Shadow then went to Kendas, I have also used the Kendas on my CRF and I just installed the Anakee on my KLR. Since I mainly ride street and wanted 80/20 split.
I also have the Kendas 50/50 on my DR650. A bit squirrely on the pavement but they hook up real good on the dirt trails. When they wear out I am going to put Shinko 700s on the DR.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/15048/ITEM/Shinko-700-Series-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx

Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
I will be fully loaded and two up also.
That last sentence is the kicker!! Honestly I don't think you'll be very happy off tarmac with all the extra weight (even if you had nobbies). I have a strong background in the dirt and have had fun on dirt/gravel road at decent speeds with the NT, but it was just me and relatively no extra weight. Another time I went camping with about 60lbs (climbing gear) of gear on a nice gravel road and was crawling at 10-15mph. I imagine with a passenger I wouldn't have proceeded. I think if the NT had fully adjustable suspension it would be a different story. Feel free to prove me wrong, just be safe about it and know what you're getting into!

Btw the Triumph fork gators work/look great, highly recommended.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I am also interested in what happens here. One of the Guzzi guys swears by the kenda's. Most of his riding is on pavement, but, he has them for riding in snow as well as dirt. IIRC he gets about 10k per set.

CommuterNT

One of the most important aspect of dirt/ desert/ single track/ enduro/ fireroad type riding is tire air pressure. Pressure should be set as low as possible to allow complete traction but not so low as to allow rim damage/ tube damage or tire damage. Watch your adventure bike go from front and rear end washouts, with no traction to a dedicated enduro bike just by lowering the tire pressure. When you decide to return to the pavement for long periods, simply air the tires to the proper pressure. This is one of the things you learn first if you have raced in organized competition: Hard tires just spin and soft tires get traction.

Sam:)
What would you say would be a good pressure to drop the NT tires too? Or what percentage?

CommuterNT

Thanks Gandalf, that is very helpful information for the inexperienced. Again why I love this site and you guys and gals.

OP
OP

Horizon

That last sentence is the kicker!! Honestly I don't think you'll be very happy off tarmac with all the extra weight (even if you had nobbies). I have a strong background in the dirt and have had fun on dirt/gravel road at decent speeds with the NT, but it was just me and relatively no extra weight. Another time I went camping with about 60lbs (climbing gear) of gear on a nice gravel road and was crawling at 10-15mph. I imagine with a passenger I wouldn't have proceeded. I think if the NT had fully adjustable suspension it would be a different story. Feel free to prove me wrong, just be safe about it and know what you're getting into!

Btw the Triumph fork gators work/look great, highly recommended.
This is what I needed to hear, fully loaded and with my most precious cargo behind me I think I may cruise a short stint down a gravel road but anything beyond that distance or even a hint of moister and I would not be comfortable. That said, it seems its perhaps not worth the trouble of adding duals as the benefits would be minimal. I may explore it later though and I will report back if I do. I stumbled across a picture of an NT700 with duals on it but I have since lost it....wish I could find it on the net again.....

I just added some extra carrying capacity to my top box and it doubles as arm rests....I will put some pics up on another thread.

Top Bottom