I'm gonna love this if it ever gets jump started.

Igo

I'm an avid backpacker and have been almost as long as I've been riding motorcycles. I've long known that top self backpacking gear is perfectly top shelf motorcycle camping gear. If you want to camp from your motorcycle, buy here: http://www.rei.com/

Bike
Bonneville T120
When I did my MSF course it was at a Harley Davidson dealership. On our first break the instructor sent us in to look at bikes and merchandise. When we returned he said "Now you know that HD stands for Hundreds of Dollars".

OP
OP

Igo

I've covered a lot of realestate cheaply with backpacking gear on a motorcycle.

1TRAK

I've also bike camped for many years. The freedom of a bike, a tent and the open road is a feeling hard to describe. I'm partial to Eureka brand products, they've worked well and the prices are reasonable. Amazon and Overstock.com are great. RIDE SAFE!

OP
OP

Igo

Marmot, MSR, North Face, Kelty, Mountain Hardware, Sierra Designs. I use them all but watch closely for sales. Un-like motorcycle atire, I doubt I will need to by anything new for this motorcycle. In motorcycle clothing I've decided to get away from the "Biker" look and go more touring. Touring cloths are more efficient and I'm going feather-weight on most everything with this bike.

1TRAK

That's some great gear there. Lots of great touring gear out there, and this is the time of year for great deals. Olympia and Firstgear are excellent.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I have been very happy with my Olympia riding gear. I ridden in temps from a low of 25 to a high of 105 (110+ heat index). No issues so far. My first ever "rain ride" was a ride to eat from Houston to near San Antonio. It was December, could have used another layer, but after 7+ hours of riding in rain i was bone dry. I have not had a leak so far. The gear was reasonably priced, $270 jacket and $170 pants, which, since they come complete seemed good.

As always ATGATT

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

OP
OP

Igo

Well, living in Las Vegas I've got time to look at everything that is available for rain gear. Maybe as long as 3 years. HAHhahaha
I will certainly look at Olympia and thank you Chuck.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I've only been riding since summer of '08 so I don't often make recommendations. I assume every one has more experience. I put about half my gear budget into my helmet and half in the suit. Working out so far. I didn't get boots until I noticed that the shifter was scuffing my good hiking boots. No i never ride without boots. Saved my ankle once in a tip over.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Maybe we can meet at the Meteor Crater

OP
OP

Igo

I haven't been on a major motorcycle gear hunt for over 8 years when I outfitted or bought support for my last bike. I'm going to keep the wallet closed mostly until I am re-acquainted with what is out there today and how has equipment evolved. I have plenty of everything to do anything I want to do until I've learned more about how the market has evolved. Mostly I just have to convert some pieces from cruiser to tourer type so I don't look like a total putz on the new bike.
Now I already have every single piece of the very best motorcycle camping equipment there is. Good thing. I'm doing a 4000 mile 2 week trip next summer. A dream ride.
For now, I'll just watch and listen to you guys experiences and learn from that.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The "new" gear for me was getting a nice mesh jacket for the warmer months, that is a really nice improvement over my old gear.

OP
OP

Igo

I had the dealer toss in a new Tour Master Sonora jacket. I believe the mesh shell zips out. I hope so. I entend to start wearing something over mt T-shirts in the summer.

1TRAK

I entend to start wearing something over mt T-shirts in the summer.[/QUOTE] Most Excellent! One crash with my Olympia jacket convinced me it's ALWAYS worth the effort to wear one. Like that price on the Sonora Air Jacket.

RebelRanch

I love camping, maybe more than I love ridin'. Trouble is that I have to decide if'n I like bicycle riding too. We have almost all the camping gear for an extended trip and would love to hit the road someday. (First we'd have to trim down the livestock on the farm before we could do a big ride.) Weekends within the state are doable now because we have the time, being empty nesters, and the desire. I would like to switch over to a Hennessy Hammock from my old Eureka Timberline tent but I just can't give up on the tent simply because it's got a little age on it. Still works good.

I have a Tour Master coat that is really nice: three layers with a rain shell, a mesh/armor under coat, and I zip in liner. Works excellent. I also picked up a set of Frogg Toggs two piece rain suits that packs small and works great for fishing or riding.

Now let's see, where is that map....

OP
OP

Igo

You are 200 miles from the best camping in the Eastern US. Go for it. Motorcycle camping is top shelf living.

Since the topic of rain gear came up, I have to chime in with what I think is the best deal out there if you can go for a one-piece suit.

I've had a lot of good experiences dealing with New Enough. They recently changed their name to MotorcycleGear.com. I bought my Tour Master Elite II One Piece Rain Suit from them two years ago before they went on sale and even at full price ($80) it seemed like a great deal while I rode perfectly dry in big downpours. I especially like the hood that goes under the helmet and keeps the water from running down my back. They pack down reasonably small and make a great supplement to mesh gear when the temps drop unexpectedly. With a little practice, it's very easy to slip on over all my other gear without dancing too much on the side of the road.

Certain color combos are now on sale for just $40 and that's a great deal. If they have your size in a color that you can live with ( I suggest yellow - it's very good to be seen in the rain), go for it. Some day you'll thank me.

Top Bottom