In Praise of ABS

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have ridden bikes for almost 20 years. The NT is my first bike with ABS. I love it. I wish every bike had it.

If you are really good enough to stop faster than a bike equipped with ABS, then don't get a bike with it. Done deal. I doubt you are that good, on all the conditions you ride in. Several ex-racers I know swear by ABS and the newer racers ride bikes with even more of the electronic controls.

So, go ahead and get the bike you want.

And yes, some of us have bikes without ABS. I wish I could retrofit mine with ABS. Until then I will have to be satisfied with longer braking distances because of not knowing exactly what the pavement/dirt is like in front of me.

hondaaddict

Falcon,
I don't know if people intentional get lazy. I think it just happen unconscious when they feel safe. Studies showed as the safety features increases, people risk taking also increases. This is why the rate of auto accident keep increasing, despite advances like ABS, better brakes, and better handling. You'll see people tail gate more, run red light more, and in general drive a little more careless and reckless. People will get hurt or die, no matter, because people will unconscious take a certain level of risk. This is reason why I don't want to buy ABS and I don't buy a fast sport bike. It's like technology is egging you on to go a little faster, pass that car, tail gate a little more, run that red light, take that turn a little faster.

I agree with rider responsibility. Just don't force me to buy ABS. I hear about it so much, it's like ATGATT preaching sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I don't think this discussion is progressing.

It is all up to individual choice. You choose, you live with the consequences.

Bike
2011 Black NT700V
Agree.. It has become politics/religion.. Pick what works for you and stick with it..

At the risk of causing this to continue though, please only quote "studies show.." or "the facts are.." if you link to those studies/facts.. (not picking on anyone here - just a general request) .. Not doing so just starts a second "discussion" to erupt on top of the original topic..

Top Bottom