Increase HP of Your NT?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm with you, Mellow. I would encourage anyone to buy one and then run their own dyno test with and without it. In my old age, the NT's got plenty of power.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
A long time ago, a good pal who is very tech saavy bought & installed one of those devices on his wife's NT. A few months later he offered it to me but I politely declined. When I asked if the device made any noticeable difference he said, "Yes, the fuel economy really suffered!"

Such devices came into existence to solve a lean condition at a certain RPM on bikes with Fi but whether or not the rider could notice a lean condition is questionable - unless you happen to ride around at that exact RPM for miles and miles. Most of us ride right through that lean spot while going through the gears, fat, dumb, and happy! :)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
No such thing as simple plug & play tuning...
One would need to alter everything, the whole flow from air-box, manifolds, valve size/timing... down to the end-pipes...
An OEM setup and the resulting engine character are so far the best compromise, ensured to work reliable in all conditions, cold, warm, hot, acceleration, deceleration, in low-/mid-/high RPM, at altitude, at sea-level, in your driveway, down the road, up in the mountains, even with the sometimes bad fuel while abroad/found at discount stations, etc...

Bike
2010 NT700V
Joined over a year ago. First post is a link to an eBay auction. :unsure:

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s
Eeeeyyyyeahh...aside from the fact that the OP looks kinda-suspicious being a one-year member with only one post in which he may be trying to flog a product, the fact is that those late night TV HP-in-a-chip gizmos always have a catch:
  • overheating;
  • unbelievably high fuel consumption;
  • completely bad emissions performance;
  • ear-splitting noise issues;
  • engine-destroyingly ineffective air filtration;
  • the need to ALSO buy a whole whackload of other hardware to actually "unleash" the horsepower hiding within the beast;
  • serious driveability issues.
The fact is that all of the OEMs have no (i.e. none, zero, nada, squat) incentive to "hide" horsepower in their products or reduce torque or increase fuel consumption. Those are the key product characteristics on which they compete and either sell or do not sell their wares.

I have worked with nearly all of the automakers (which includes at least two who make motorcycles) and I have observed that they strive make the best products they can for the money - with the best possible torque and horsepower ratings that are consistent with:
  • reliable starting;
  • good driveability;
  • reasonable fuel economy;
  • usable power band and RPM range;
  • legal noise and exhaust emissions;
  • sturdy durability.
I am not saying that they always get it exactly right, but they have squads of expert engineers, zillions of R&D and testing dollars (or yen or euros) and acres of product development facilities and dynamometer test cells that they use in the relentless hunt to build the most competitive products they can.

The chance of some half-baked shade-tree mechanic or boy-genius in his grandma's basement coming up with something that is markedly better than stock - is...to be charitable, remote in the extreme.

We're talkin' like a snowball's chance in a blast furnace.

My $0.02...

Pete

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Before fuel injection, there was a story that lasted for decades about a magic carburetor that gave incredible fuel mileage. Supposedly the oil companies had bought it to keep demand for gasoline at its high price. From time to time someone would come forward with the story that they had either found the carburetor or rediscovered its secret.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Electronic trickery sends the incorrect signals back to the ECU and it dumps more fuel into the combustion chambers. More power it seems for a short while.

Poor Fuel Economy, carbon build-up in the combustion chambers, and in the exhaust system. These are just the start of a long list of issues awaiting you down the road. Reliability and longevity will also suffer.

If this engine could output more power and be within the Federal Emissions Standards, Honda would have done it to get that little extra. Most modern Fuel Injected vehicles has multiple modes with different mapping profiles that give different levels of performance.

The day of pulling off all the Emissions Equipment to get your Corvette to produce 180 HP over the 150 HP with the equipment are over. Many states have smog inspections. All the factory-installed or later model needs to be present to pass the physical inspection and pass the actual emissions test.

Do not buy into that junk. Simply click on the next item of interest.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...the old "200 m.p.g. carburetor" story. I'm sure that the carburetor is around here somewhere, in my workshop..."

I believe it was called the Fish Carburetor and I never saw one in person but saw the ads in ancient magazines when I was a kid.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I would venture a guess that some power gains are possible via aftermarket mods but where that increase occurs may be in
area of the RPM band rarely used and with that gain may come some negatives.

Merry Christmas to everyone and please stay safe! :)

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I would venture a guess that some power gains are possible via aftermarket mods but where that increase occurs may be in
area of the RPM band rarely used and with that gain may come some negatives.

Merry Christmas to everyone and please stay safe! :)
Who remembers the ads about "burning water in your car!"
Or spinners you install in a carb throat?

The truth is that with any given engine like the NT...UNLESS you fisically change/ alter parts, there is only a fixed amount of HP you an get from it from 0-redline rpm. There is even an equation for that.

Top Bottom