Inexpensive Original Battery

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
$81 for a Yuasa YTZ14S battery. The ebay seller only sells this battery, and has a good reputation.
My original battery still sounds strong starting, but it will be 5 years old by this fall. So at this price, I bought one.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Honda wants $170 for a stock battery?????
I asked the ebay guy what the code date of his/her batteries are...I think this winter my battery is spinning the engine a bit slow. What are the code dates of the OEM 2010 bikes normally reading?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dnktng
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I asked the ebay guy what the code date of his/her batteries are...I think this winter my battery is spinning the engine a bit slow. What are the code dates of the OEM 2010 bikes normally reading?
I asked for the date code also and he didn't respond....then saw 200+ positive reviews of the same battery and figured that someone would have given a bad review if he was selling 3 year old batteries that sat on a shelf...and then his stock started getting low so I jumped. The $81 price is too tempting as I've been searching for a bargain for several months on a Yuasa. I know there are less expensive batteries, but a Yuasa is guaranteed to fit, and the original may make it 5 years. If the NT had a kick starter like a proper motorcycle I would have opted for a cheaper battery.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Good points all. From Mellow's link we might guess these same pulled bats are middle 2012 vintage but that is a guess from that thread. I do not know enough about sealed lead acid bats to guess what 2 years storage does to them for the long haul. Aftermarket bats are about $60 plus shipping...haven't looked much into this but I had bats on the brain when I saw the thread. One thing is for sure....a computerized fuel injected bike needs a good battery to start, I would think.

I asked for the date code also and he didn't respond....then saw 200+ positive reviews of the same battery and figured that someone would have given a bad review if he was selling 3 year old batteries that sat on a shelf...and then his stock started getting low so I jumped. The $81 price is too tempting as I've been searching for a bargain for several months on a Yuasa. I know there are less expensive batteries, but a Yuasa is guaranteed to fit, and the original may make it 5 years. If the NT had a kick starter like a proper motorcycle I would have opted for a cheaper battery.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Most of the $60 aftermarket batteries like the Scorpion are made in China. Some have had good luck with them and others have not. The Yuasa replacement battery I bought this winter is made in Japan which made me feel that somewhat justified the higher price.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Ah, should have mentioned that I've kicked big singles and although not gone over the bars, had some interesting experiences due to minor lapses in concentration :).

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yeah, I know. I have an Everstart Maxx made in Taiwan that is dated 08 08 05 in my Connie. I cant remember when I put it in and I cant find my maintenance log entry for that ...I am usually better than that with records. I am going to replace it just because the sides seem to be caving in for some reason. I think I will put an analog voltmeter on my NT battery and hit the starter and see how far the voltage drops....
Most of the $60 aftermarket batteries like the Scorpion are made in China. Some have had good luck with them and others have not. The Yuasa replacement battery I bought this winter is made in Japan which made me feel that somewhat justified the higher price.

Bike
'10 nt700v red
Has anyone ever kick started a 60's Harley 74 ci? After doing it, I really don't know how a small man could ever start one. I'm sure they must have a technique, that I'm not aware of, to be able to start one.
John

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Batteries like tires you wish you can always get the information on when it was made. Even at local dealer you have a hard time getting the date of manufacture. Batteries unlike tires do not have new models coming out every few years. I do believe in changing batteries, tires and helmets at time intervals, all have a 5 year life at best, in my world. Yep I have friends with 10 year old helmets, and batteries older the 5 years, and tires with on 4K in 8 years.
No one wants to be stranded, so I change wear items early if I plan a long trip early.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Last wet battery I purchased was for my Kubota, not use a not anything but agm in my motorcycles in years. I think you are correct you're adding the electrolyte so it becomes a battery when you add that. h

Last edited:
Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
Mine was 4 years old and I replaced it with the same Yuasa $155 from Rocky Mountain ATV, free shipping special.
I was probably a little early with the preventive maintenance replacement but feel very comfortable with the new proven performer battery

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I agree with you. Little or no degredation during storage on the "U fill 'em" batteries. But the NT bat and its substututes are sealed, correct?

The $36 battery I bought off eBay had the electrolyte packaged separately and I had to fill the battery. So I assume it doesn't matter too much just when the battery was manufactured, with regard to it being "fresh enough".

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yeah, I saw one NT replacement generic bat on ebay...40 bucks delivered...wish Everstart made a replacement...don't see one on the web. .
I assume they are. I should have been more clear in my original post. I wasn't meaning to say this fill it yourself one that I bought would be a direct replacement for the NT, ( mine was a 12-something model#) but he does have the same battery # in stock mentioned in the original post. I didn't post the sellers info out of respect for the seller that Mellow mentioned that advertises on the ST forum. Time will tell if it's really a good deal, but the bike I put it in is not my daily commuter, just one I take short hops on and play around with. But the battery numbers and sizes the seller had were exact to Yuasa numbers and physical sizes so I felt for $36 including shipping, I'd give it a try. Im sure like everything else, it's a Chinese copy of a Yuasa and I understand if someone feels it's too risky to put in their beloved NT.

OP
OP
dnktng
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Got the battery and emailed Yuasa asking about the date code. Turns out that RS3048 = May 2013. So it's a slightly <year old & unused. I hope ebay seller evapar11120 is still selling batteries in 5 years. I think that was a bargain over Honda's price for the same battery.

Chris, just FYI, date code RW2048 is Jan 2013.

Top Bottom