Inflatable Jackets?!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Those have been around, at least in Japan, in the corded "vest" version for a few years. I just "know" I would forget to disconnect the cord getting off one day...:rolleyes1:

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I have the Hit-Air vest. It costs about $350.00. My vest has never deployed, either accidentally or otherwise. You have to remember to attach the tether to the bike, just like you have to remember to put down the sidestand before dismounting! So, human error can be a problem. The bag fully deploys in about 0.25 seconds, which may be too slow if an SUV violates your right of way! Brembo, the Italian brake company, has developed an air vest/jacket called the Brembo Life Jacket, which claims to fully deploy in 80 milliseconds which is .08 seconds, which is more than three times faster than the Hit-Air product. Trouble is that Brembo is currently not importing the Life Jacket into the USA. Price is 390 Euros or 523 US Dollars. You may be able to buy the Brembo from a European dealer or directly from Brembo.

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Yeah the video talks about the old tethered ones but the new tech is non-tethered apparently. I know I would definitely forget to unhook a tethered one getting off the bike...probably at the most inopportune time!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
The un-tethered models (Dainese etc) are much more $$$$ than the tethered ones. Other than professional racers, who is going to spend $1,500 of one of these?

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The un-tethered models (Dainese etc) are much more $$$$ than the tethered ones. Other than professional racers, who is going to spend $1,500 of one of these?
Why do we have power windows in our cars? was it so hard to do it manually... Time marches on if we join or not.

jspringator

I've got one of the tethered vests. It takes quite a tug to deploy them. I've forgotten and got a strong tug to remind me. Mine is supposed to deploy faster than some of the older ones.

CommuterNT

I wanted to resurrect this thread.
Anybody else have any other experiences with air bag jackets or vest? It's been over a year since the last post and wondering if anybody has bought one since and their experience. I've seen a few of the vests but would rather have a jacket so I don't have to put on and take off a separate item each time and for me that is a lot since I commute on a ferry so I'm putting on and taking off my jacket 4 on/off's a day.

Top Bottom