Installing a Kisan Headlight Modulator

There is a separate thread from 2011 on headlight modulators; some folks don't like them, but I am one of the believers. I try to install a modulator on all my bikes. I don't leave it on all the time, but when I am approaching an intersection or see a car waiting that might pull out or turn in front of me, I flip on the high beam to activate the modulator strobe. To me, the strobe catches the eye and also conveys the message that I am coming through. You could just flip the high beams on and off without a modulator, but to me there is a chance the other driver won't notice or think you are signaling them to go ahead. The strobe has an "emergency vehicle" look to it that is less ambiguous.

My post is not intended to debate the issue, but to point out the problem with installing the recommended Kisan unit on the NT. Kisan recommends the P115W-DHL, which has two headlight intermediate plugs connected to a separate blue modulator control unit by about four inches of wires.. Problem is, when you use the plugs between the headlight bulbs and the NT headlight plug, you can't fit the round rubber covers over the back of the lights. The plugs stick out too far. And also, there is not much clearance between the back of the headlight plugs and the other cables and wires in that part of the NT. I tried it and did not like the arrangement.

So I decided to hard wire the modulator unit into the Honda wiring harness. This is possible because the NT has a separate mini-harness for the headlights and the position light. I had to take a bunch of plastic off to disconnect the mini harness and pull the position light. But once out, it was not difficult to cut and solder the Honda wires to wires to the Kisan modulator. I had looked closely at the Kisan wiring to the plugs to figure out which wires were input and output to which headlights, and which was ground. Then I cut the plugs off and wired the modulator into the Honda harness using the Kisan wires. Used heat shrink tubing over the soldered connections and taped the whole thing up to look fairly nice. Once mounted back in the bike, I used plastic ties to secure the modulator unit in a position behind the instrument panel, and mounted the electric eye in a hole I drilled in one of the speaker grills. (I would choose a different location if I had it to do over again, but the grill location works.)

It all does seem to work. So far nothing has melted or shorted out.

I wish Kisan would acknowledge that the plugs don't fit the NT. And perhaps sell the modulator and electric eye without plugs for riders who want to (or have to) do their own wiring.

Top Bottom