Installing a Marinco 12V receptacle.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Not sure I've seen anyone else install a 12V receptacle quite like I did so I thought I'd post this in case anyone else could benefit from it. I've liked the idea of using a Marinco receptacle since David recommended using them in one of his YouTube Videos. Marinco makes high quality marine grade receptacles. I bought mine from Amazon. I know this receptacle placement will not work for some NT owners. Take it for what it's worth. I know Honda recommends placing the receptacle in the left fairing pocket (what they call the Cowl Pocket); I never liked that idea. For me this will work better. This install took me a couple of hours. Seemed like the most difficult part was routing the wires; with all the body parts that had to be removed/reinstalled.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Curious Mike
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Karl, the primary use will be to charge my cell phone that I keep in a tank bag. Also have an air pump that I hope I don't have to use; I have "Ride On" in my tires.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Karl, the primary use will be to charge my cell phone that I keep in a tank bag. Also have an air pump that I hope I don't have to use; I have "Ride On" in my tires.
Hope you never have to use the pump, good luck.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Nice installation; really nice installation pictures. You could be our photo-illustrator for "How To" articles.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I know Honda recommends placing the receptacle in the left fairing pocket (what they call the Cowl Pocket); I never liked that idea.
When my dealer installed my heated hand grips, I was pleased to see that I got a power outlet, too. Of course, it is in the left fairing pocket, and it's a cigarette lighter plug mounted in the front wall of the pocket about half way up from the bottom. So if I used, it the left fairing pocket would be absolutely useless. Your installation will be much more useful.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Mike,
Nice installation. I am thinking of getting a piece of plastic that matches the black on our bikes, and cover the "Speaker Grille" on the left side. That will give me room to mount two waterproof Marine switches for my auxiliary lights and an SAE Plug for extraneous stuff. On the right side, I plan to do the same thing and maybe flush mount a GPS

OP
OP
Curious Mike
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Nice installation; really nice installation pictures.
Thanks, Phil.

Mike,
Nice installation. I am thinking of getting a piece of plastic that matches the black on our bikes, and cover the "Speaker Grille" on the left side. That will give me room to mount two waterproof Marine switches for my auxiliary lights and an SAE Plug for extraneous stuff. On the right side, I plan to do the same thing and maybe flush mount a GPS
That will look real nice. I haven't seen anyone mount anything in those speaker grille areas yet. I'll be interested to see how it looks when you're done.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Mike,
I really see no purpose for those grills. A sound system seems to be a waste especially when one can use an I-pod and headphones in the helmet. It looks like bonus extra dashboard space to me.

thefieldworker

Thanks for the advicee and the wonderful pictures. Did you put a fuse in the line to the battery?

OP
OP
Curious Mike
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thanks for the advicee and the wonderful pictures. Did you put a fuse in the line to the battery?
I did not. Thought about it; but didn't do it.

It would be a good idea to add an in-line fuse on the hot wire at the battery.

FYI - The Marineco plug comes with an internal 10A fuse.

thefieldworker

Looks like a winner - I'll need to get one and see if I can figure out a way to sit it pretty in the speaker grill, as mentioned by someone earlier.

Top Bottom