Installing Denali DM1s

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I'm about to install some Denali DM1s. I have located the accessory plug under the left side dash area. I'd like to use this to run the DM1s.

Does anyone know what else is fed off this circut????? I don't want to overload it. I'd like to use the switched wire to run the relay and the hot wire to run the lights via the relay. They draw only about 5 watts each (2) plus maybe a little for the lighted switch. So the current draw is pretty low.

At the same time I'm also re-locating my SAE plug that I use for my electric vest which is about 45 watts. I plan to put this on a 20 amp fused wire off the battery so I can also run my air pump off that if necessary or use it to charge the battery without opening up the bike. I'm not worried about killing the battery with my unswitched vest because I always remember to unplug it after I dismount and come to the end of the cord.

Any suggestions?

I'm mounting the lights off the mirror stem bolts by adding a 15mm spacer under the bolt and putting the "U" bracket on top of that. So I'm using a 40mm bolt to replace the 25mm mirror bolt. It is a neat, clean, and simple install, I just hope it doesn't cause some mirror vibration. I'll try to get pictures up when I'm done.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I ran my Denalis off the Fuzeblock I installed under the pillion.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Does anyone know what else is fed off this circut?????
Nothing else is on that circuit... it is designed to be used for the Honda heated grips and / or power point / cigarette lighter and GPS in Europe. It is a 10Amp fused circuit marked "Option" on the wiring diagram... It is Fuse Number 5 in the Fuse A box...

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Nothing else is on that circuit... it is designed to be used for the Honda heated grips and / or power point / cigarette lighter and GPS in Europe. It is a 10Amp fused circuit marked "Option" on the wiring diagram... It is Fuse Number 5 in the Fuse A box...
Thanks Wayne,

OK - so the 10 amp accessory (option) circut should easily handle the Denalis (1amp) and possibly a charger for cell phone or GPS. They sure didn't want the cover to fall off that 4-prong plug. Now I'm contemplating getting the harness that plugs into the "option" plug or just cutting it off and splicing my wires in with solder and shrink wrap. But first I'll be plowing snow for a few hours tomorrow AM.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Now I'm contemplating getting the harness that plugs into the "option" plug or just cutting it off and splicing my wires in with solder and shrink wrap.
Even if you buy the Honda "Accessory Wire Harness" you will still end up splicing wires so I wouldn't waste the $15 on one. I have pretty much quit soldering and went with Posi-Lock connectors for all my wiring on the bikes.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Plan B: I didn't use the accessory plug after all. Denali provided such a nice harness to run right from the battery so I used it. I also put another 16 ga wire from just after the 20 amp fuse on the Denali harness to the front of the bike for the SAE plug. I would have had to cut the Denali harness all apart to use the accessory plug circuit.

Now I'm waiting for the paint to dry on my mounts so I can install the lights. And I need to make a mounting bracket for the Denail switch and paint it too. It will be a few weeks yet before the bike will be on the road, there's still more winter left.

CommuterNT

Plan B: I didn't use the accessory plug after all. Denali provided such a nice harness to run right from the battery so I used it. I also put another 16 ga wire from just after the 20 amp fuse on the Denali harness to the front of the bike for the SAE plug. I would have had to cut the Denali harness all apart to use the accessory plug circuit.
Have you thought about using a fuse block? They allow you to run things as constant on or switched. Plus it makes it super simple to hook up any new electrical farkles as they come along. There are a couple of different ones out there and are discussed at length on here.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Have you thought about using a fuse block? They allow you to run things as constant on or switched. Plus it makes it super simple to hook up any new electrical farkles as they come along. There are a couple of different ones out there and are discussed at length on here.
Yes, I did. But I just don't have much on my motorcycle (or anywhere else for that matter). Just an electric vest and my Denalis. I can use the vest plug to charge my cell phone (which mostly doesn't work anyway) and GPS (which I don't ususlly use). I don't have any audio, bluetooth, camera, or heated grips. I agree that a Fuzeblock is the best way to go if hooking up multiple gadgets.

The cell phone is the worlds worst. I have found only one place west of Minneapolis where it works (Rexburg ID). The goofy thing can show 5 bars of service and display a "no phone" symbol at the same time. It will only allow me to make emergency calls (which I try to avoid). It just doesn't work from Arkansas to New Mexico to Montana to Minnesota. It does, however, work in TN, GA, SC, NC, WV, OH, IN, and IL. No one has ever explained that one. AT&T has "fixed" it 3 times. They say "buy a new phone". And I say why would I buy another one from someone who sold me this semi-functional thing. I'd prefer Verizion, but there is no service here.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
DM1s are installed. I think they will be great.
They are mounted on a home made bracket made of 10 ga steel and placed under the mirror mounts.
The switch mount is made of 14 ga steel and mounted under the clamp bolt.

Next project is to clean up and re-inforce the pannier latches.

Attachments

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
They look good. I'm interested in how much additional light they put out and how traffiic reacts. How about a report after you have used them awhile once the wx breaks?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Very nice installation, Jim! You ought to sell your bracket design to Twisted Throttle for a life-time supply of TT farkles. :)

I'll be curious to see if you get flashed -- I rarely do with the original Denalis on the fender mount. The few times I've been flashed were before I realized that my headlight was adjusted too high (not from the factory, but from when I "corrected" the factory aiming point six feet in front of the bike).

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I, too, am anxious to try them out. My theory is that because they're mounted higher I can aim them down a little more (OK, very little mmore) to aviod being flashed. They certainly aren't the brightest ones on the market but they look pretty bright in my garage. I need to test them on the road. The NT headlight by itself isn't bad once you get it adjusted properly, but I'm hoping for a little more visibality to the sides (where the deer hide in the ditch), and more conspicuity to oncoming cars.

The install probably isn't legal in some states because they aren't connedted to the headlight system, they're just on a switched circuit that is only on with the key. But there is no inspection to pass in WI.

Phil, as far as marketing them through TT, that would be great. Trouble is that they would only fit the NT and if I got a share of the profit from TT for all they sold I'd be able to get about a half a tank of gas in about 10 years.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
if I got a share of the profit from TT for all they sold I'd be able to get about a half a tank of gas in about 10 years.
Jim, given the price of gas, a half tank's worth might be a pretty good deal. :)

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
First test ride at night. Report

Wow! those things are amazing. Very bright. Good visibility down the road and along the ditch line.
No one flashed me when meeting cars.
They are so bright that I can barely tell when I flip on my high beam.
The don't overpower the turn signals - signal lights are still quite visible.
I couldn't be happier with the DM1s.

This was my first chance to get out at night. Actually it was about my first (OK second) trip down my driveway. Snow is finally melting now. Roads are full of sand and melt water running across in places. Caution is advised. You just have to be sure it is water and not ice. There is plenty of frost under the roads and when temps drop the water becomes ice quickly.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The Denali lights are the greatest thing since sliced bread. When I HAVE to ride at night, I am a lot less paranoid. There are just too many critters here in Maine.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've got the original D1s and can second what other say. They light up the edges of the road, cast a great deal of light out beyond the range of the low beams and amplify the light of the high beams. I rarely if ever get flashed for being too bright. Plus, when I'm driving day or night, they create a noticeably different image that seems to catch people's attention. I've got mine fender mounted and get told regularly by people around town that they make quite a difference in their ability to "see" me.

They sure make a difference in my ability to see stuff at night.

I had a bad relay in my wiring harness for a couple of months. One light would shine (dimly) and the other one usually was just out. When I finally had my mechanic at Sun diagnose the problem, TT was quick to send me a new relay. Of course, there'd been a change in the wiring harness for the D1 and the relay they sent me wasn't the right one, but as soon as we figured that out, Kevin had me the proper relay in two days. I'm happy with Twisted Throttle's product, their knowledge and their ability to stand behind what they sell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom