[How To] Installing Honda Wind Deflectors Set 08P70-MEW-100

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Just the hands. But they do an amazing job of that. They're ridiculously pricey if all you think about is manufacturing cost, but I'm willing to cut them slack because either: 1) they spent some wind tunnel time and money, or 2) they paid a smart aerodynamicist to think them out.

Last edited:

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Is anyone using these wind deflectors with the HeliBar risers, and do they still do a good job with the new handle bar position?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Richard, I'd think they'd work fine with the Heli-Bars. I've got MC Larry's bar risers and my hands are well covered by the knuckle busters.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I agree that they are wicked pricey, but they sure do the job well. They look pretty decent too. There appears to be a lot of engineering in those things. I would suspect that the same amount of engineering went into the Honda OEM undercowl. That seems to work nicely as well.

Bike
NT700va
Seeing I am the new guy, could you list the Torx sizes needed in your tool kit for the NT? I don't remember seeing this item listed on recommend tools
Thanks Russ

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Seeing I am the new guy, could you list the Torx sizes needed in your tool kit for the NT? I don't remember seeing this item listed on recommend tools
A good set ranging from T-10 to T-60 should handle anything on the NT. I bought a 11 piece set at Sears that uses a 3/8 inch drive for around $25....

plumberdave

I've been meaning to post on here that I too installed the wind deflectors on my NT. I was a little worried about the adhesive pads sticking in the wrong place but everything went well. Also like everybody is saying they do work. I very seldom use any other glove than my thin summer gloves.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
The wind deflectors are pricey...but...they are easy to install AND they do work. Keeps the rain & the cold blasts of air off my hands!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I used them one day when there was freezing mist and they way they collected ice was "interesting" and helped me understand the aerodynamics behind their effectiveness. That effectiveness was going away as the "slot" between the fairing and the wind deflectors filled up with ice.

Bike
Silver NT700V
These were one of the first things I put on the NT. I really like the appearance, they enhance the look of the bike. I have always wondered about the little slot. Seems it has a real function.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I have always wondered about the little slot. Seems it has a real function.
Chuck, the little slot is what makes the wind deflectors work effectively. High-lift wings (the Boeing 727 is an example many people have seen; North American F-86 Sabrejets, and many others also have them) use aerodynamic devices called slots, slats, and flaps to help air flowing around them stay laminar (attached to the wing) rather than turbulent.

The slot on the wind deflectors gets enough air behind the slot to rejoin the flow of air coming off the fairing a couple of inches out beyond the outside edge of the fairing and keep the turbulence from wrapping back around into the region of the grips and hand controls.

As far as material cost goes, I'd be amazed if Honda had more than 3-4 dollars in material cost in the materials and production tooling for the wind deflectors, but wouldn't be too surprised if they spent a few hours and much more money in a wind tunnel somewhere.

Hank From NM

Does anyone know if these deflectors are still available from Honda? I'd like to get a set for 'Lil'Putt'. Thanks!!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Of all the overpriced, official Honda accessories for the NT, I felt the Wind Deflectors were the best. With the standard windshield, it helped push air up and around my helmet which I honestly didn't expect and the difference was noticeable. :)

Bike
2011 Black NT700
Installed mine yesterday. It was a piece of cake even for me.
Ride safe, Clint :black1:

Hank From NM

Bob, thanks a lot for the info. I'll check with my dealer, and google or bike bandit.
Ride Safe!!

Top Bottom