Installing lowering kit to nt700

Some time back (I think on this Forum or perhaps the old one) there was a thread/post explaining how one could remove the rear wheel without having to remove the rear fender or the exhaust system. If I remember correctly a block of timber was placed under the centre stand to give more height, and the rear wheel could then be dropped out. I have searched but cannot locate the post. Can anyone help?

OP
OP
Thank you SPACETIGER, I appreciate your reply, however this web site is for the 650 Deauville. On web sites for the NT700 they advise removing the rear fender and exhaust system which is a major job!. One I want to avoid if possible.
The POST I was referring to was specifically for the NT 700 and from memory the writer explained how he was able to raise the bike by placing it on the centre stand on a block of timber which allowed the rear wheel to be dropped out.
I have read posts on this Forum for Rear wheel removal but such posts show that the exhaust system has been removed.
Are there any Forum members who have removed their rear wheel in the manner I have described above? if so would appreciate your comments.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Given the parameters you've described (rear fender & exhaust system intact), I doubt if you could raise the rear high enough with blocks to pull the rear wheel away from the bike.

spacetiger

Sorry Charlie, I should have added more info.

There are threads on the NT700V and Youtube on doing this (but the youtube didn't have the bike raised I think).
fender: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CN7blhpQYk&feature=related
exhaust: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNmhwUqS2pw&feature=related
wheel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxBodVg9KVU

I sent you the NT650V link as I thought many of the items would be the same or similar. I know the swing arms are different, but I thought it might be of use since they had the bike up on some wood to raise the bike up a bit (maybe 3/4 at most), but it seemed to be enough to get the job done on the 650 without removing the real fender and exhaust system.

I would have thought if the bike was a bit up, removing the axle, then final drive (easy) would allow you to cock and tilt the wheel (bottom of the wheel to the left side) and pull it out the back. You would not have to mess with the fender or the exhaust system - but the key is removing the final drive. This is held on the swing arm with 4 14mm bolts. This is easier than messing with the exhaust and fender on the right side.

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I have taken off the rear wheel to change tires without removing any plastic or the exhaust. Look at the gallery labled maintenance platforms.
What I have done is a plywood platform with a droppout section under the wheel. Mine is large so you need room to store it. You may be able to do the same with a work stand with droppout. It is tight to get the brake caliper moved out of the way and back into position but I think working the caliper is much easier than plastic and the muffler.

ARKNT

mat0000

This week I had a flat tire, and went to repair the tire shop, with all indications to remove the wheel.
The manager of the tire shop looked at me and said: "This is my work." He put NT on the edge of a stair, pull back the center stand, and took the wheel down in no more than 5 minutes.
It can be done.
regards
Matias

Suggest you get a tyre place to remove it first time. The bolt holding the rear caliper assembly doesn't get lubricated at the factory. Mine took 2 hours to get out. Since being lubed it's not a problem.

Minnesota

I have tryed to find a link to Honda via e-mail. They do not publish anything, if you have one please post it. I need to know how a suspension lowering kit effect the Honda warranty on an NT&00V. I'm thinking that if it voids the warranty it would make little sense to purchase the extended warranty. In fact it might not make sense to buy a new bike verses an used one without a warranty. i need to get the seat height down so that I have better control at Stop signs. The Corbin seat option would be my first step, but if the lowering kit is needed it would be nice to know the consequences beforehand.

Thanks for any help.

elizilla

I doubt it would affect the warranty in any way, unless you were trying to get the bike warrantied for something that went wrong due to the lowering kit - like if you lowered it so much that you bottomed it out, and then tried to get the scrapes fixed under warranty.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
A lowering kit won't affect the warranty. In fact, one of our Forum members' dealer installed the lowering link before he picked up his new bike in the last month or so.

OP
OP
Had a local m/cycle repairer fit my LOWERING KIT last week. He had never previously worked on a NT 700. and he found the alteration a simple matter. He did not touch the rear fender, or the exhaust system. The rear wheel was easily removed using the drop down trap door facility on his bench. The complete job took two hours including adjusting the front forks by 10 millimeters. I have since learnt of the rear wheel being removed by placing the m/cycle at the top of a stair and using the "riser space" to allow "drop down". The Owner witnessed its removal by the Tyre Repairer which took all of 10 minutes.
Having ridden a few trips round town, and yesterday a 230 klms.trip with fourteen other riders, over twisty and undulating roads and found absolutely no effect on the bikes performance. MINNESOTA, go for it, the resulting confidence in knowing the control you now have over the bike when stopping has to be experienced to be appreciated.
JOHN GRINSEL, Your comments are hardly worth a second thought. It is only four weeks till my 77th birthday, am not at all "shaky" and I enjoy riding approx. 500kms. a week on a bike that now suits me perfectly.

Bike
Silver NT700V
On other forums I have heard of lowering being accompanied by adjustments to the side and center stands to maintain the correct relationships. Otherwise the bile can sit up too straight on the side stand and become unstable and getting on the center stand can be difficult or impossible. Seems a good shop should be able to make the adjustments.

Keep the shiny side up,

Top Bottom