Interesting differences by Honda on oil

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
My Chev Suburban 6.5 Turbo Diesel has 160,000 miles on the clock. We have replaced two serpentine belts and the glow plugs. Injectors and injector pump are fine. It burns no oil. I change the oil every November. I used Rotella-T up until 5 years ago, when I switched to Rotella T6 Synthetic. The Suburban is a 1995.

I would love to run T-6 in my NT. They don't make a 10W30. The T-6 is 5W40. I ran the T-6 in my Ninja which was redlined at 13000 RPM and it performed flawlessly. Right now I am running Honda Synthetic 10W30. I think that I will change it as per Honda recommendation, every 8000 miles or once a year--whichever comes first. Right now, at 4000 miles, the oil is as clean as when it was put in.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I too love oil threads! Does the NT manual recommend 10W30 that meets the new JASO MA, MA1 or MA2 specs like the Connie C14 manual does? Or do they say simply to use Honda motorcycle oil? Before my five month storage, I take out the old Kawasaki 20w-50 out of my C10 Connie, put in $10 bucks worth of 20w-50 non energy conserving oil (no friction modifiers) and in the Spring, I run the bike a bit and put in the new Kawa 20W-50. Am I wasting 10 bucks? Probably. But it makes me feel good. By the way, there is a report (Fall issue of the Concourier) that the Energy Conserving stamp will be replaced soon by the Resourse conserving stamp, and this oil may contain Moly. The NT has a wet clutch, right?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
the Energy Conserving stamp will be replaced soon by the Resourse conserving stamp, and this oil may contain Moly
I wish it was simpler to really tell what you are buying. Oil is the lifeblood of the engine and has to be right. I'm sure new lables will make it less clear what the oil is good for.
The same seems to be true trying to get the correct coolant (silicate free) also.

Good luck,
Brad

Bike
Silver NT700V
Here is what the book says:

"API Service Classification SG or higher EXCEPT oils labeled as energy conserving on the circular API service label, SAE 10W-30, JASO T 903 standard MA, Pro Honda GN4-stroke oil OR EQUIVALENT" (emphasis mine)

Yes, the NT has a wet clutch.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks Chuck! Very interesting....looks like the JASO standard has taken off, thank goodness. Our only problem is that this new automotive labeling (ie Resourse Conserving) involving Molly may throw a monkie wrench into things for those folks that want to use Non-JASO oil in their bikes....Personally, I am going to stick to JASO oil as I am an old man who doesnt think so good anymore.
Chris who never mixed up JP-4 and avgas in a B-36

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chris who never mixed up JP-4 and avgas in a B-36

As a person who once put diesel in an Olds that said "Diesel Fuel Only" on the fuel gauge, "Diesel Fuel Only" on the fuel cap, but had been re-engined at 8,000 miles, about 90,000 miles before the owner loaned it to me late one night and told me it was nearly out of "gas," but did not tell me that it didn't have a diesel engine.... as that kind of person, I have to say that I'm greatly impressed.

I'm reasonably certain that as much as SAC flew their B-36s when I was a kid that someone must have mixed up the JP-4 and the avgas, probably more than one someone.

What kind of mess was that?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Phil, I remember in aircraft mechanics school we did talk about that as the B-36 was one of about three planes that used both turbines and recips....and that it did happen, but I too wonder what the end result would be? If the AV gas tanks were pretty empty when filled with JP-4, then the engines, even if they started, would have run like crap and I would think that little damage was probably done but a lot of time wasting work was involved cleaning out the fuel systems and engines pressure carbs....if it was alittle JP-4 in alot of gas, and the plane took off, detonation could have hurt the engines....

Trying to run a turbine on avgas produces mixed results...some will actually burn it for awhile...some are designed to....I am gonna ask my other buddies who were wrenches in the service but this is very interesting reading.
http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-287495.html
BTW, I guess a guy at Boeing field last year got Jet fuel in his avgas twin....made it back to the field ok...no one hurt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom