Is everybody running 10W-30 or....

Igo

My owners manual says to run 10W-30 but I called the Honda dealership and they said their bulk tank for servicing motorcycles is 20W-50 and that is what they use by default at the dealership. All this and I was thinking 10W-40 for a hot Las Vegas summer in a new engine.

My Honda dealership carries a slew of flavors. They carry the Honda GN4 10w-40 which is what I purchased. The owners manual calls for either 10/30 or 10/40. I don't know about 20w-50 though. I'd look elsewhere or wait for input from folks here to see who's using what.

Thank you Cool.
Yeah. 20W-50 seams a little pasty to me. Especially if I won't be riding in 100+ degree temperatures. I do like the idea of 10W-40. Have you heard anything about about Valvoline's motorcycle oil? It meets Honda's requirements to a T as for temperature range and JASO MA and API SF/SG/SJ.

Thank you Cool.
Yeah. 20W-50 seams a little pasty to me. Especially if I won't be riding in 100+ degree temperatures. I do like the idea of 10W-40. Have you heard anything about about Valvoline's motorcycle oil? It meets Honda's requirements to a T as for temperature range and JASO MA and API SF/SG/SJ.

Igo,

As long as it meets Honda's specification as stated in the owner's manual, you're good to go. However, I have not heard of it.

I'm not particularly choosy about brands of oil, or synth vs dino. But I try to stick with either the manufacturer's suggested weight, or a weight that includes those weights.

I change my oil several times per year, and I live in a climate that has seasonal variation, so I do use different weights for different seasons. I would never use 20w50 if the manufacturer says to use 10w30 for that season.

Valvoline's 10w-40 motorcycle oil is excellent. I've used it in my prior rides, and FWIW the clutch and gearbox seems to work more smoothly than the Honda oil.

I'm putting it in the NT on the next change. Just checked the bottles I have on my shelf, it meets Honda's specs.

Autozone stores sometimes have it on sale, too. Make sure you buy the 4-stroke oil and not the ATV oil. They both come in the same black bottles.

Brad

Cool, an oil thread!!!

I use Mobil 1 10W-40 for motorcycles (4T I think).

20W-50 V-Twin for the Guzzi (air cooled likes the thicker oil). And don't have to worry about a wet clutch.

I use RotellaT6 5W40 in all my vehicles including the Turbo Diesel Suburban and the inboard Diesel in Ariel III. Snow Blower and Lawn Mower get the same treatment. I get the stuff by the case.

AMSOIL 10W30. The NT has never shifted better! It was so smooth. I wondered was I getting that good at shifting or was it the oil? I believe it was the oil........

Just changed mine in the NT last week, using the Valvoline 10W-40. Never shifted better. Personally I like this oil much more than the Honda oil.

Try it, you'll like it!

Brad

I think any will work. Anyone ever had an engine go bad that was due to premature wear or lubrication under normal circumstances?

I don't think it's so much about engine life or wear. Regular oil changes are the key to long engine life in any application.

I'm an auto technician in my 9 to 5, so I get to see on a regular basis vehicles that should have had an oil change umpteen miles ago. Sometimes it ain't pretty. Sometimes there's loud noises involved. Sometimes a tow truck is needed.

But getting back to the subject, and I know this may just be a seat of the pants judgement, but the Valvoline oil really makes the shifting and clutch smooth. Maybe it has something to do with additives or unobtanium or sunspots or karma, but I can definitely notice a difference. I've used Honda oil vs the Valvoline in 3 other bikes, same results, better shifting and clutch.

Soapbox now put away.

Brad

I have always figured that if you're going to skimp somewhere, Oil is the last place to do it. I'll stick by the Mobil Racing 4T full-synthetic 10W-40. For what it's worth, I put it in the NT as soon as I got it back home, and the engine and tranny are MUCH smoother and quieter. It's a bit more expensive, but I figure overkill is better than not-quite-good-enough.

Thanks to the gang here on the forums, I switched to the Rotella T6 for all my vehicles and will not likely switch back.

Agip 10w40 very smooth seamless gear shift once the eo breaks in aft travellin 2k kilometres

Back
Top Bottom