Is everybody running 10W-30 or....

Anybody running synthetic in the final drive? I plan to change it soon, and we stock Mobil Synthetic 75W-90 at work. It looks like the fill quantity is small, only a few ounces.

Your thoughts?

Brad
2010 NT700V Red
1981 CM400A Hondamatic - still keeps going
1982 Suzuki GS300L - gone AND forgotten. Too many electrical problems!

Just out of curiosity, some of you change the oil every 4k miles. Any reason why? Service manual says 8k.

Just out of curiosity, some of you change the oil every 4k miles. Any reason why? Service manual says 8k.

Oil is cheap and recyclable, motors are neither.... An "Old School" mentality that makes me change my oil every 5K miles on all my vehicles. Plus the miserable traffic patterns in Atlanta qualify for the Severe Duty Schedule some manufactures list. It doesn't cost me much and adds a comfort level that I prefer.

Anybody running synthetic in the final drive? I plan to change it soon, and we stock Mobil Synthetic 75W-90 at work. It looks like the fill quantity is small, only a few ounces.

Your thoughts?

Brad
2010 NT700V Red
1981 CM400A Hondamatic - still keeps going
1982 Suzuki GS300L - gone AND forgotten. Too many electrical problems!

Yes I have changed to synthetic in the final drive. It does not cost that much and it can't hurt anything.

Most of my oil changes have been prior to a long trip, or annually. I think I have around 11k miles on my NT and I have owned it since April of 2011. I remember doing it at 600 miles, ~4000 miles (first 2 months of ownership - first big motorcycle trip), and then at ~6400K (8 months later prior to another big trip). I will have to check my records but I think I changed it again around 9K after the oil had been used for big trip and all winter long (lots of short cold trips- possible high fuel dilution).

If I rode the NT more I would definitely go longer and up to 8K on the Rotella T6. Many of the above miles were when I only had one bike. Now that I have two and the other one usually gets picked for the short trips I will probably just do annual changes on the NT. I simply cannot imagine not going over certain things in a years time even if it only traveled a couple thousand miles. This year that may be all I get on the NT.

Last edited:
rc_heli_nut,
I started using the Valvoline Motorcycle oil way back in my 1975 CB400F cause I was working part time in a car parts store and could buy it at employee cost. Made the little Four shift much smoother and picked up a few top end mph. I switched every bike I have owned to it and change often enough I have not missed using a synthetic. The NT700 is watercooled and I don't ride in 100 degree weather so the oil does not get beat up like it did in the air cooled CB400F turning 10,000rpms to keep up with my riding buddies on 750's and bigger. I used 20w-50 in the CB400F in summer, but now it would seem a bit thicker than needed, but probably would only hurt the gas mileage and not the engine. And I would believe that Valvoline has made significant improvements in the nearly 40 years since they introduced a motorcycle specific oil. The synthetic Rotella T-6 others mentioned above is good oil. Ran it in the turbo diesel Sprinter work truck and got longer turbo life than what the dealer used in the beginning. Great oil for cold winter starts.

beoll,

Valvoline advertises "superior wet clutch protection" right there on the bottle. I know it's advertising, but works for me.

I first started using it in my 82 Suzuki Gs300, a bike that had a troublesome clutch release mechanism as part of the front sprocket cover. It always seems to have shifting difficulties. The Valvoline cured it.

I'm sticking with it.

Brad

Back
Top Bottom