Is the 2014 CTX700D the NT700V replacement?...for North America?

Johnny Canuck

I'm headed out for a test drive on a 2010 NT700V today...in Toronto. That means the bike has been imported into Canada as these NT700V's were not available to Honda dealers in Canada. This particular bike is offered for sale through a non-Honda dealer. I also did a test drive on a 2010 NT700V in PA last week while enroute to North Carolina for some golf. It was a very clean bike with low mileage and is on my radar. I'll have to deal with the importing costs, however I've imported a Buick and a Ford F 150 from USA into Canada and the process is relatively simple. It shouldn't be too much different for a motorcycle.

HOWEVER....when I look at the Honda web site, I now see the new CTX700 series as the potential replacement of the NT. Is this correct? There's a "touring" version (CTX700D) that has a full windshield. I'm intrigued with the what seems to be a push towards automatic transmissions. And the pricing seems very attractive. Lower than what the NT's were selling for it seems - I could be wrong.

SO...does anyone have any information on the CTX series? Are they replacing the NT's? I'm hoping the CTX will be available in Canada as I may wait for their "spring 2013" arrival and test drive one as well. Seems it's the same CC displacement, however the motor is now a parallel twin, not a V twin. Is there a downside to that?

Your comments are appreciated.

Johnny

Bike
2010 Red NT700
JOhnny

The NT is a great machine and I love mine. I dont know if the CTX is replacing the NT, but if you've waited this long, I would have a look at a CTX before deciding on which to get.
The CTX is not as pretty as the NT, but its an interesting bike with current day technology in the engine.
The NT engine is tried and true, but this next gen of Honda twins looks like the wave of the future for midsize Hondas, anyway
If I didnt alreay have an NT and my budget was under $10K, I would have a good look at this one before making a decision
I have always privately poo-pooed the idea of an automatic tranny...but I'm starting to see where it might be very neat

I would have to have panniers etc

YOu cant go wrong with the NT

ALL IM saying is, have a look

Last edited:
OP
OP

Johnny Canuck

Well...it seems like the CTX series of bikes will indeed be available in Canada. I'm heading to my local dealer today to see if they have any idea on pricing or delivery date.

Johnny

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The CTX is a completely different bike. It's been well received and you can get a "touring" version. But it's definitely not an NT. It's a much lower output engine (something in the high 40s for horsepower. The panniers available for it have 29-liters [/U]total capacity, so much less than the NT big lid panniers that many of us have. It's lighter, but doesn't have the weather protection. I've looked at one, but haven't ridden one. It wouldn't be the bike for me now, but maybe later. It's designed, I think, as an attractive entry level bike to attract people who haven't been attracted to motorcycles in the past. It seems to be succeeding. My dealer has sold all they've had, but they haven't developed any appreciation for it. But then, they never appreciated the NT either.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The NT has no replacement since it didn't do well in this market. That doesn't mean I don't like or even love my NT because it's what I wanted and does everything nicely - not too slow nor too fast, can do short or long trips, has great reliability, and sips gas at a slow rate. It was aimed at a market segment that has proven to be too small to consider again.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Oh, yeah, Chuck, you're right. My comments were about the NC700X. The NC has the same engine as the CTX, from what I understand, and I've seen pictures of the panniers and they're no bigger than the NC700X panniers from what I can tell.

slider

I think Yamaha has clearly replaced the NT market with the FJR :rofl1:

I mean it's 68 lbs heavier but you gotta put those 65 horses and cruise control somewhere. :doh1:

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chris, they sold quite a few, but they didn't sell them all. Obviously, that has been a factor in why they haven't continued to import it. But a lot of us remember the Pacific Coast, a "different" kind of bike that never sold that well either. Honda produced at two different times before giving up. It just never caught on. But it was a bike that came to be loved and revered by an admittedly small group of people. PCs are still selling for good prices and there are some people who'd buy a good one in a minute.

My guess is that that will be true of the NT for many years. The new 700cc twins Hondas making are totally different kinds of bikes in performance and capabilities. They won't get many of the kind of buyers who would want an NT. I don't think you'll be stuck with an NT if you buy one. You might be upset when you wear it out at a 250,000+ miles and can't find a low-mileage replacement.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Remember when riding the NT in the mountains keep the motor wound up. It runs great but don't be afraid to wring it out a bit. It likes the higher RPM's

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It likes the higher RPM's
It seems to me that the perception is that V-twins are low-revving torque producers. Not the NT. I wouldn't dream of giving it full throttle below 3,000rpm and you don't really get the power hit until about 5,000. People worry about its high revs at more elevated cruising speeds, but it's in a zone at 75-85 mph (5300rpm-6000rpm). It's perfectly comfortable at autobahn speeds. Red line of 8500 = 120mph). I've never had mine that fast, but some people have. I'm guessing that they had a tailwind to get there. The fastest I've been was 108 and acceleration was not brisk at that speed, but up to about 95, it's adequate. A downshift to 4th helps with faster passing.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
And we are all eagerly awaiting the "Tale of the Epic Ride" and mungojerry's IBA adventure.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
It's perfectly comfortable at autobahn speeds. Red line of 8500 = 120mph
On level ground I've never been able to get mine to even flirt with the redline. I suppose it would only do it going downhill
I have done a wind assisted 117, but don't remember revs

OP
OP

Johnny Canuck

All great comments...thanks! You've convinced me that the NT's and CTX's are substantially different bikes....at least technically. For my purposes, I'm looking for the commuter bike that can handle the odd weekend tour. To that end, either the CTX or the NT should be pretty adept at handling these needs.

Interestingly (or not), the non-Honda dealer I visited yesterday for a test drive of their "imported" NT700V did not check their emails...after exchanging and conversing on email the day prior, telling them the day time I was showing up for a test drive. How disappointing. I suppose I should have telephoned to confirm. So....no test drive. The dealer principal was not on hand to remove the bike from the showroom floor - it was kind of jammed in there with the other 40 or so bikes on the floor . Oh well....as Dad used to say, "Don't stand in line to spend your money!"...and I won't. Let's see if they call me.

For any Canadians reading this, as I learned from my Honda dealer, the CTX bikes will in all likelihood not arrive in Canada until July at earliest. Pricing will be in the $9,000 range. I've also learned the larger windscreen'd version is an after market modification - or option. It's a fixed windshield, so no upping and downing like you can on the NT's.

I'll say the search continues.

Oh...the current pricing for an FJR in Canada is $18,000. I wish we had "American" pricing in Canada. My friend is taking delivery of his today. I'll be out to see it next week. More on this later.

Johnny

Bike
Silver NT700V
While I agree with the notion "don't stand in line to spend your money" it might be orth an extra coordination to get that test ride. Too bad the dealr won't let the sales staff move stuff around. Here it is about to cost them money. From the thread, it seems the NT might work for you (not that any of us are biased LOL).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I have done a wind assisted 117, but don't remember revs
Since the speedometer is a little off at speeds above 80, I'd be willing to bet that your tach was reading between 8200-8250. We get 10mph for every 708.333 rpm in top gear.

Top Bottom