Is there one 12V power supply?

Igo

It seems like I read that there is one 12V cigarette outlet 12V power supply already on the NT some place. Is there? I think I'd rather run my GPS this way rather than batteries.
Thank you in advance.

elizilla

There are no cig lighters pre-installed. I think what Karl means is that there are lots of possible spots to tap wires. Or maybe he is talking about the official accessory wiring plug buried in the fairing, waiting for you to buy an expensive Honda accessory socket kit that plugs into it.

I put a cig lighter inside my right fairing pocket. I plug my GPS in there - the wire routes out of the pocket and the lid closes on it easily enough. I panel mounted it inside the pocket but if I had a do-over I think I would get a cig lighter on a cord and cable tie it vertically in the corner of the pocket - having a device plugged in, in the middle of the pocket, makes it hard to put other stuff in the pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When my dealership installed my heated grips, they put a cigarette lighter plug into the front "wall" of my left fairing pocket. If I were to plug anything into that, I would lose most of the useful space in the locking fairing pocket. I'll never use it, because I carry my spare glasses, my owners manual, and my registration and insurance information. There should be another better place and there probably is. I've got my twelve-volt needs covered by wiring my GPS to my Fuzeblock, an SAE plug zip-tied to the preload adjustment knob shaft for powering my air compressor and connecting my battery tender, and by direct wiring my Heatroller for my 'lectric jacket to the battery. Plus, I've got MCL's bar clamp with the powerlet outlet that I've never connected.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
What are you looking for Igo? an electrical connector, types of connectors powerlet/ cigarette lighters. A hidden power socket not listed in the owners manual.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA, #227
Kuryakyn makes a chrome power outlet with cigarette lighter and weather cap that mounts to the brake reservoir or clutch housing that I have. Looks good, works good. Search for Electrical Power Point on their site.

OP
OP

Igo

What are you looking for Igo? an electrical connector, types of connectors powerlet/ cigarette lighters. A hidden power socket not listed in the owners manual.
Somehow I had imagined that I read there was a 12V socket already wired on the NT in one of the pockets or somewhere. I filled the locking pocket on day two or so. Up untill now I've had no electrical farkles because I've had no electrical need but neither of my GPS will light up under battery power and I would like to power them up from the bike battery. I'll add up the power usage for both and direct wire to the battery of block. I have the adaptors for these and can make it cleaner than Sockets and Plugs. I just thought that if one existed I could save some wiring time.

MAC

It seems like I read that there is one 12V cigarette outlet 12V power supply already on the NT
I just look through the Honda Shop Manual at both the 700 V and 700 VA wiring diagrams. The only thing I saw was a " option " plug. I did not see any cigarette type plugs any where.

OP
OP

Igo

Yeah. I would have found a live outlet if there was one. Don't know what I was thinking.

Bike
Silver NT700V
As my plans evolve, I want to put a cigarette plug in the left pannier. It would be used to power an air pump if needed. I know there is a thread on here somewhere but cannot find it. (
But I will I am sure)

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

OP
OP

Igo

Yeah. Another thing I wasn't going to do but it looks like I'll be needing auxiliary power too. I just landed a really great RAM cradle for my TomTom.

elizilla

Here's another picture showing what the cig lighter looks like from inside the pannier:

And a repost of the picture Rick linked to, above:

Last edited by a moderator:

maupen

Igo, if you want a CHEAP Power Outlet, you can use this one from Radio Shack, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3896268 . It includes an Inline Fuse and I had installed in my Left Pocket bottom, leaving space for my gloves, etc. I'm out of town right now, but I can post a picture Friday. The Power Outlet includes wires long enough to reach the Battery space.

OP
OP

Igo

Well, I had thought that I had read that there was an outlet up front already. I don't know why I thought that. To get more than 4 hours life out of my TomTom, I will need to wire it to the battery. To illuminate my Garmin, I will have to wire it to my battery. I may or may not put additional lights on my NT. If all this does happen, I would also put an outlet up front. The fuse box would be the way to go for all this. I am a mechanic by education so I would work on other peoples bikes mechanically. I am not an electrician so I will not work on other peoples electrical systems. But I believe I can muster up most electrical installations to NT might need. There are a few thousand combinations but the math is always the same. For my GPS or anything else I might used regularly, I won't want a cigarette lighter type outlet. I'll want a very short and direct pigtail to keep the wire mass around the dash quit trim and small. Might be time to read Ricks electrical farkle threads.

OP
OP

Igo

I'm now thinking about installing your fuse block. Oh, and I got the manual in the mail today.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I ran my GPS from a non switched circuit on the FuzeBlock and spliced the wire into the appropriate Garmin Power Plug for my Street Pilot 2720. I've got an SAE two-prong plug wired directly to the battery and then zip-tied to the Preload adjustor shaft so I can use it to plug into my air compressor or battery tender. The only other thing I've got wired to the battery is the connector to the Heattroller that controls my electric jacket. Since that one is 90W, I decided to wire direct to it and not go through the FuzeBlock, although if my mental calculations are right, the jacket shouldn't draw more than 8 watts, and that wouldn't blow a 10A fuze...unless the battery was depleted and I had the jacket on high.

I don't think I'm likely to pull the jacket off and leave it plugged to the heattroller, even if I were to forget and leave the heattroller turned up. Especially not since I'd have to take my 'Stitch off and the chances of doing that while the connection to heattroller is still hooked up without pulling the cord out of the 'Stitch's side vent. And surely if I have to unplug the jacket from the controller, the cord won't be transmitting anything to the air.

Top Bottom