Is there one 12V power supply?

OP
OP

Igo

Thanks Rick. You're a good guy.
I'll look further into all of this this weekend.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
My NT came with an SAE plug wired to the battery with a fuse. It is located under the seat on the left side just over the rear suspension adjuster. When not in use, it tucks under the seat. I can plug in a Battery Tender, Compressor, or any accessory needing 12V that is equipped with an SAE Plug. I don't know if the dealer put the plug on to keep the battery up or if it came stock with the bike. Right now the Battery Tender is plugged in.

OP
OP

Igo

Powerlet has a dozen configurations of plug extensions. I saw a 36 inch fused SAE extension. I already have a dul lighter socked and automobile accessory wires for running both my GPS. I can get into this for $6 until I see what it is I really want to end up with.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I don't know if the dealer put the plug on to keep the battery up or if it came stock with the bike.

It's not stock. But it's a good arrangement. I've got one, too. I guess I really ought to put a fuse in it -- don't have one and never did with my Connies either.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I don't know if the dealer put the plug on to keep the battery up or if it came stock with the bike.
That was dealer installed. I had to spend $4 for another battery harness to use my Battery Tender on the NT as I left the old harness on my trade-in. It is a great little accessory point!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Igo

I have a heavy duty and fused SAE plug on my NT. It came with the bike. I'd LOVE to find a 3 feet SAE to two USB out cable and just come in from the side of the right glove box with a bulkhead gourmet and let the little pig tail live in there with my wad of ear plugs. Very minimal and I won't need any new cables for my two GPS and I won't have a mass of Cig Lighter junctions in there either.

elizilla

The difficult thing about putting USB outlets on the bike, is that you need additional electronics to step them down to 5v. One of the UK guys posted a link to a kit, but it was eBay UK and they didn't ship internationally. I could put together my own setup, I know where to find everything I would need, but it's just complicated enough that I haven't bothered. Maybe on the next bike I will do it.

For now, well, Belkin makes a single USB on a small cig lighter adaptor that works out to almost like a flush mount - that's what I have. I only use USB to charge my Sansa MP3 players, and it's no hardship to do them one at a time. If I needed two USBs, the truck stops have larger cig lighter lumps with two USBs on them - just FYI.

I tried charging my phone off USB but it didn't work. (Maybe my next phone will charge from USB - I'll find out soon, because my existing phone didn't take kindly to being laundered, sigh) Same with my netbook - I have a car charger but it's a cig lighter lump, not USB. My GPS might charge from USB - I haven't tried that; I probably should.

Someday I could see all these devices charging from USB, and when it does I'll definitely cobble something to provide it, since it's so much smaller and more elegant than these stupid cig lighter lumps. But for now I still need cig lighter outlets for such things. I have two of them - one in the right fairing pocket and one in the left saddlebag.

And for the plain 12V power items like battery tenders, tire pumps and CB radios, I convert them all to powerlet since I think it's the best choice for 12v stuff. I only have one powerlet outlet, the one on the MCL handlebar clamp, but I don't need to use all those things at once, so one is fine.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I'll have to look for this tomorrow.
Looked but did not find. No socket pigtailed off the battery.

On a side note, I did manage to remove the small body side panel and replace it without breaking anything. (Baby steps):)

OP
OP

Igo

The difficult thing about putting USB outlets on the bike, is that you need additional electronics to step them down to 5v. One of the UK guys posted a link to a kit, but it was eBay UK and they didn't ship internationally. I could put together my own setup, I know where to find everything I would need, but it's just complicated enough that I haven't bothered. Maybe on the next bike I will do it.

For now, well, Belkin makes a single USB on a small cig lighter adaptor that works out to almost like a flush mount - that's what I have. I only use USB to charge my Sansa MP3 players, and it's no hardship to do them one at a time. If I needed two USBs, the truck stops have larger cig lighter lumps with two USBs on them - just FYI.

I tried charging my phone off USB but it didn't work. (Maybe my next phone will charge from USB - I'll find out soon, because my existing phone didn't take kindly to being laundered, sigh) Same with my netbook - I have a car charger but it's a cig lighter lump, not USB. My GPS might charge from USB - I haven't tried that; I probably should.

Someday I could see all these devices charging from USB, and when it does I'll definitely cobble something to provide it, since it's so much smaller and more elegant than these stupid cig lighter lumps. But for now I still need cig lighter outlets for such things. I have two of them - one in the right fairing pocket and one in the left saddlebag.

And for the plain 12V power items like battery tenders, tire pumps and CB radios, I convert them all to powerlet since I think it's the best choice for 12v stuff. I only have one powerlet outlet, the one on the MCL handlebar clamp, but I don't need to use all those things at once, so one is fine.
I saw an $8 gizmo at Walmart today that was male lighter to female USB adapter. USB being 5V and and system power being 12V there must be a resistor in the hot line or people will fry every 5V device on a 12V system. What is Powerlet using as a step down? The only wire going into my TomTom car GPS is a lighter to USB made by TomTom. I suppose if TomTom makes a proprietary cig lighter to USB adapter that there would be a resister in the lighter side. Maybe the resisters or other step downs for any of these devices are in the devices themselves? Dummy proofing?

OP
OP

Igo

Anyway, I don't have any problems stuffing a couple lighter sockets in the right glove box. It just seems like SAE and USB would be much cleaner. I can run my Garmin for 25 hours on 2 rechargable AA.

OP
OP

Igo

Looks like what we need. What I really should do is go back and read the threads where people are putting GPS on their motorcycles. LOL.

elizilla

Yes, Rick, that's part of what I might do if I were to do this. But I'd tuck that thing down inside the fairing somewhere, and attach it to this, so I'd have my elegant panel mounting. :)

elizilla

Rick, the easiest would be something like this. You plug one end into the powerlet, and the other end gets tucked into your tank bag with your phone.

Another alternative would be to get this. The bulkhead mount gets permanently installed in the tankbag, and the patch cord runs from the powerlet to the tankbag. Then you plug one of these in, inside the tankbag. Much more complex, and more expensive, but this would allow you to avoid having to route a cord out through your zipper opening. If you care. :) I did this once, when I set up a fancy tankbag with all my audio stuff in it, before I decided I preferred having it all mounted in the bike. It worked well, but I got tired of having to take the tankbag off and carry it around because it had $700 worth of stealable gadgets in it!

A third alternative would be to install a panel mount cig lighter in one of the fairing pockets, or in the sidecase, and just plug your phone in there - skip using the powerlet for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

elizilla

Interesting! I too have noted how hot those pockets get, but my main response to it has just been to avoid putting chocolate bars in there. :) I like the idea of insulating the pocket.

I have not had any trouble with overheating the gadgets stuffed in the space in front of the pockets. I don't have any on the right but the left side is getting pretty full, with the Flash2Pass, the Amplirider, the Heat-troller control box, and a whole lot of coiled up wire.

OP
OP

Igo

SAE 36 inch extension and SAE to twin cig socket adapter came in today. I'm mounting a GPS and a Trip computer.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Just one thing to remember when buying USB socket or 12v USB adapter is to get one rated at 1000ma.

Most of the new Smart Phones on the market need at least 700ma to charge/function and will not work with the old 500ma USB adapters.

Don't ask me how I know this :)

OP
OP

Igo

When I travel I charge my phone at home, turn it off and never turn it on again until I get home unless there is an emergency. But on 90% of my adventures there is no cell phone signal anyway. I won't be making any considerations for phones on my NT.

Top Bottom