It followed me home

bicyclist

It's a used 2013 CRF250L with 1530 miles on it. Trailered it home Wednesday, got it inspected and titled and tagged in an hour and a half yesterday. Must be a record! Fun little bike.

Attachments

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Looks good, I am waitingfor one to come available around here. The people I know who have them swear by them, they say they are much better than the 230 when you get to where you need a decent highway machine part of the time,

Eldon

Bike
2010 Silver NT 700v
Nice ! Looked at these pretty hard before I found my NT . Just wanted to do a little more distance and be a little more comfortable. Always had to trailer ATV's to ride location. Love the idea of being able to just shoot down a trail or dirt road while out riding pavement. Most of the " adventure " bikes are just to heavy to fling around off-road . Hmmmmm ? Maybe I should reconsider , could get rid of the 250 R ATC to make room for one . The CRF 250 L is a great bike for the money , especially compared to other makes with a similar model . The biggest plus is it's a Honda.

Last edited:
OP
OP

bicyclist

It's a fun little bike. I enjoy riding it and I'm having fun personalizing (farkling) it. Now I need a pickup truck to haul it out to Utah.:tongue:

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
George,

What all have you done to it ? Did you possibly find a luggage rack for it, I still have not found a used one here, I may pull the trigger and order a new one.

eldon

OP
OP

bicyclist

George,

What all have you done to it ? Did you possibly find a luggage rack for it, I still have not found a used one here, I may pull the trigger and order a new one.

eldon
There's a bunch of racks available for the thing, but I think that it would be easy enough to make one. There's a local metal place that sells cutoffs. I was in there the other day and rooted through their bins, but didn't find the right piece, so I'll go back and look again. Eventually, what I need will turn up. I've made several things with material I've found there. They also have some plastics and I keep an eye out for pieces of Delrin.

As far as the bike is concerned, it now has a good skid plate, radiator guard, GPS wiring and mount, battery pigtail, fork gaiters, tank bag and has shed some unnecessary parts. It needs handguards, a rack and a few other things.

Bike
2010 Silver NT 700v
Here's one , just ride that sucker from Maryland to Utah . Now THAT would be cool . A very tiring and sore butt kind of cool .

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
It's a used 2013 CRF250L with 1530 miles on it. Trailered it home Wednesday, got it inspected and titled and tagged in an hour and a half yesterday. Must be a record! Fun little bike.

Very Cool. My first bike was a TU250 and now I have a DR650. The CRF250L has more power than my TU and is much lighter than my DR650. These were not available when I got the DR otherwise I would have looked at the CRF. It came it about 4 months after I bought the DR new and it was cheaper to boot.

Most of my in town riding is stop light to stop light with a top speed of 45. This would be better with the FI and 6 speed. I use my DR to commute on more than my NT (short trip). I want one. :)

I have done a little off-road stuff with my dual sport and it was fine, but the DR is heavy enough to be daunting in some really rough stuff.

OP
OP

bicyclist

Here's one , just ride that sucker from Maryland to Utah . Now THAT would be cool . A very tiring and sore butt kind of cool .
It would be fun, but I'm more interested in spending the time riding the parks in Utah than spending it getting there. And the tires would be worn out by the time I got there.

OP
OP

bicyclist

I have done a little off-road stuff with my dual sport and it was fine, but the DR is heavy enough to be daunting in some really rough stuff.
I had a 125cc Yamaha dirt bike years ago and had a lot of fun with it because of its light weight, but it needed more power to be road worthy. The CRF has enough power to be useful on the road and is not too heavy for off road use.

kenstone

There's a bunch of racks available for the thing, but I think that it would be easy enough to make one. There's a local metal place that sells cutoffs. I was in there the other day and rooted through their bins, but didn't find the right piece, so I'll go back and look again. Eventually, what I need will turn up. I've made several things with material I've found there. They also have some plastics and I keep an eye out for pieces of Delrin.

As far as the bike is concerned, it now has a good skid plate, radiator guard, GPS wiring and mount, battery pigtail, fork gaiters, tank bag and has shed some unnecessary parts. It needs handguards, a rack and a few other things.
Many Dualsport riders have fab'ed their own racks and pannier mounts with a common use of a cutting board as the flat element of the design.
Have a look around here for ideas
http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php

OP
OP

bicyclist

Have you started looking around in your neck of the woods for places to ride? I've been looking at fire roads and double track and have found a lot of it in central PA and there's plenty of single track..

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/pennsylvania_14311/ride_ca33.htm
Hi, Bob. There isn't much around here. Back in the 70s, I rode miles of power line right of way that was close by and nice trails near the water plant. All of that is gated off now. There's plenty of nice riding, but it's all about 2 hours away. Michaux State Forest in S central PA has lots of nice riding, W VA is great and George Washington National Forest in VA is good.
This is the Versys in Michaux. That's on a gravel road, but there's lots of single track as well.

I've been collecting track files from various sources. I have the tracks for the Trans Eastern Trail and will be exploring that.

OP
OP

bicyclist

Have a look around here for ideas
Thanks, Ken. Yeah, while others waste their time watching "reality" shows, I wa, I mean invest, my time reading ride reports on ADV.:wink: There's a metal supply place nearby that has some 3/16" aluminum that will make a fine rack with some slots for luggage straps. Just gotta get a round tuit.

Top Bottom