It Wasn't What We Planned, But It Was Good

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My friend Ken and I had planned to ride to McCook, NE, for a ride to eat with some friends from the LD List. We were going to meet at Sehnert's a James Baird award-winning restaurant. But last night, the forecast was for strong thunderstorms with very high winds, and damaging hail. We've both had all the experience we ever need with damaging hail, so we revised our plans. Instead of me meeting Ken and his BMW G310GS in Fort Morgan at 7AM, Ken met me here in Greeley at 8AM. We rode some local back roads through Ft Collins and stopped at the junction of US-287 and CO-14 so Ken could get gas. Then we rode up US-287 to Laramie and stopped again there so Ken could have a snack. [Since I'm on my diet, snacks are very limited for me. I had one of Ken's peanut butter crackers.]

From Laramie we went south on WY-230. The first 20 miles or so we were in the eastern end of the Laramie Plains. From about 1880-1890, the Laramie Plains, which stretch almost to Medicine Bow, were the richest cattle lands in the world. Quite a few of the ranchers were British and they had sunk their family fortunes into their American ventures. But it all came to an end with a monumental blizzard. I've read that snow was 20' deep across the whole basin and when the spring thaw came, it was said that you couldn't walk anywhere in the whole basin without walking on dead cattle. Now there's not the lush grass and there are more horses and pronghorn antelope than cattle.

This is the south end of the plains as they ease into the mountains that are along the Colorado/Wyoming border.

We rode to Walden, the "capital" of North Park. In the mountains, a "Park" is an area surrounded by higher mountains, and in Colorado, we've got North Park, Middle Park with Granby and Kremmling, and South Park with Fairplay. We found a good BBQ spot that hadn't been there the last time I was in Walden and ate a nice lunch before heading east on CO-14. From Walden, at 8100' you follow 14 east while climbing through ranches and Colorado's biggest population of moose, until you cross Cameron Pass and just a little over 11,000'. From there back to US-287, you ride through Poudre Canyon, alongside the Poudre (pronounced "pooder") River, a wild and scenic waterway. We were lucky in that traffic was very light and we could ride at a comfortable and challenging speed. There are several areas in the canyon where narrows so much that there is nothing but road and river between cliffs.

We managed to ride nearly 300 miles (Ken rode 400) and "enjoyed" a strong headwind for at least 250 of those miles...all while riding a circle. Ken says it's some undiscovered law of physics that makes that possible.

Attachments

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
A bit more about our ride: Ken made it home to Ft Morgan just before the thunderstorm got there. I don't know what the weather was like on out toward McCook, but I did learn that Justin Phillipson (organizer of the How the West Was Won Rally) who was riding moto-journalist Jerry Smith to the RTE had issues. Justin was on a Goldwing with a "taildragger" auxiliary fuel tank mounted to a trailer hitch. The hitch broke and boogered up his "dark side" rear tire and he had to have it towed back to Greeley.

Ken had got gas about 40 miles after we left Greeley while I started with a full tank. He got gas again in Walden, but I knew I had enough to get across the mountains and back to Ft Collins. When we got there, I might have had enough to get home, but decided not to chance it. Since I put in 4.5 gallons and still had 38 miles to go, I was glad I got gas. Ken had gotten pretty low mileage on our way to Walden. He says: "Lots of up-hill against the wind and the bike was getting lower mileage...got 50.08 mpg going uphill to Laramie, and then pushing the head wind out in the prairie coming from Ft. Collins--home it got 57.25 mpg. But we gassed up in Walden at 9,000' elevation and came over Cameron Pass and then downhill the 95 miles to Ft. Collins, and we even had some bit of somewhat-sideways tail wind. and the little wimp-motor BMW got 81.68 mph on that leg of the journey. I get mileage in the 70 mpg range riding out here on the flat-lands back roads, but 81.68 mpg is the best I've gotten with that bike so far."

Here are some more pictures from Ken's and my ride.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Personally, the BMW looks to me like half of it is missing! :eek:
After the NT, it looks skinny and fragile.
Yes, Dudley is still a handsome Gentleman.
My fuel consumption does increase into a headwind but only about 10-15%, possibly because we travel at lower speeds here.
Even a strong tail wind will only help by about the same amount but as Phil said, the Laws of Nature will ensure that you will almost NEVER have a tail wind no matter which direction you are heading.
Slip-streaming is something I sometimes do if I can find a suitable "tow vehicle" but I don't get too close, just close enough to feel some advantage.
It is interesting to watch the coolant and oil temperature changes when moving in and out of the "stream".
They don't always correspond as you might expect them too.

Macka

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Macka, Ken is an interesting guy. He's been riding for a long time and has been to a lot of interesting places. He's ridden most of Europe, to Inuvik (in the NW Territories of Canada, and to Prudhoe Bay. He was in the ski business for years, then worked restoring old cars and building hot rods, and just retired from teaching auto mechanics at the community college out in Ft Morgan, where I was the United Methodist pastor for 18 years. I met him when I moved to Ft Morgan because he was married to a woman I had known from my time in ministry in Casper, WY, back in the early '80s. When I started riding he was riding an airhead BMW R100GS. He rode one or two long trips a year with ski industry buddies who by then were onto R1100GS's. They'd do things like the Inuvik trip and Ken would set up the logistics, have the bikes, supplies, and spares shipped to their departure location and then be their mechanic.

They were doing the Trans-America Trail (basically coast-to-coast on dirt) back in the early 2000's when the final drive on Ken's R100GS failed (imagine that!?!). They were somewhere in Montana and there wasn't an R100GS final drive in the US. Ken only had about 38K miles on the bike. He was so disgusted that he bought a KLR650. He loved it, but it wasn't fast enough to keep up with the R1200/1250 GS's his ski buddies were riding by that time. But he managed to ride with one of those guys to Alaska and needed tires in Anchorage. When he went in to the dealership in Anchorage, they just happened to have a KTM 1190 with panniers for sale cheap. So he bought it.

He does most of his riding on eastern Colorado/western Nebraska dirt roads which have lots of ruts and sand. He liked the bit KTM, but it got to be handful in the sand and it had a lot of heat. Ken had suffered heat stroke once and doesn't tolerate heat at all well. So he sold the KTM and bought a BMW R80GS that had some ridiculous amount of engine work done. Seems like it had been bored and stroked and was about 1000cc and the bike was immaculate. Ken got it cheap and liked it, but it didn't like sand that much either. Then he got the little G310GS and loves it. He can fix flats on without too much trouble and can pick it up easily. It's not that fast on highways, but his ski buddies aren't riding much anymore and he's happy.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
As you point out, Phil. If HE is happy with the bike it doesn't matter what I think!
Interesting point you mentioned about the final drive failure in the BMW. I know several owners who have had the same problem, some of them more than once.
I have only ridden a couple of BMWs and just did not like them.
I also have a friend who had a KTM 990. It also produced a LOT of heat. Sitting next to him in traffic I could feel the heat coming off his bike but my NT would not even have the fan running yet. He blew the LH fork seal when the KTM had only 2200km on our first trip to the Flinders Ranges in South Australia. The oil ran down onto the disc which made it interesting. The nearest KTM Dealer was in Adelaide, several hundred km South but the nearest fork seal was back in Melbourne where we started from 2 days earlier. We abandoned the trip and returned to Melbourne a week early to get it repaired. KTM refused to do the repair under warranty as the bike had "been offroad". He now has a Suzuki DL650!

Macka

Top Bottom