Its an ill wind that blows nobody good.....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Big windstorm coming tomorrow...I may be off the grid/web for awhile.....45-60 mph gusts.
In 2015, we had a 70 mph gust....took out two big Blue spruces out of my front yard.....some of my trees were broken in halfa 18th 4.JPG
1667534083962.png
3 dead, 200,000 without power.....
Only this time, I dont have to borrow a Honda generator....Hone-dah!

a windstorm 2015.jpg

Bike
2010 NT700V
As Jim Cantore would say. "HUNKER DOWN". Got so tired of hearing that from every weatherman when we lived in Floriduh.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
As Jim Cantore would say. "HUNKER DOWN". Got so tired of hearing that from every weatherman when we lived in Floriduh.
Four inches of heavy snow last night. Then warmed up to 37 and rain... Minor branch damage....got web back when snow left pine tree branches....
still 45-60 mph tonight.
a spokane small.jpg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Is your internet hookup via a satellite or is it beamed locally?

We're still having fairly mild weather in OH and I rode yesterday. The sun was out and it was in the mid-60s but the cross winds were fierce in spots. :)

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Is your internet hookup via a satellite or is it beamed locally?

We're still having fairly mild weather in OH and I rode yesterday. The sun was out and it was in the mid-60s but the cross winds were fierce in spots. :)
My internet in the country is slightly above morris code,
I have a microwave dish on my roof that point to a tower in someone's yard a mile away. That tower has a repeater on it. The repeater shoots to a mountain top, and then gets sent to the company office. If my power, my neighbors power, or the mountain top power go out, I am back into the 1800s.

54 mph gust last night...took out a few branches. and the power to 20,000 people. 105 mph gust on Rattlesnake ridge.
This guy has an issue
house.jpg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I had that type of Internet too years ago. I think it was called WiMax. I switched to Exede (satellite) about ten years ago and it was an improvement in speed and reliability. Just last year Verizon offered Internet through their cell towers and I went that route. Very reliable, very fast and much cheaper than satellite. If you have a decent Verizon signal, you can get their service.

Mike

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I had that type of Internet too years ago. I think it was called WiMax. I switched to Exede (satellite) about ten years ago and it was an improvement in speed and reliability. Just last year Verizon offered Internet through their cell towers and I went that route. Very reliable, very fast and much cheaper than satellite. If you have a decent Verizon signal, you can get their service.

Mike
I think that is starting to appear in our area....Verizon signal strength is iffy...right now , my verizon phone says I am getting a minus 121 db of only 4G but maybe they install a directional antenna.
When my system works, I get 6-10 meg download, which is fine...I need at least 4-6 to watch HD streaming....Many I have talked with are unsatisfied with satalittes...lattency, or ping is poor. So you need more buffer to watch HD as the time to download from the bird is high. I have excellent ping on the OOkla internet speed test. But then I dont shoot 25,000 miles to the bird.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Latency was indeed a problem with Exede satellite service. We seldom streamed anything for just that reason. In my area, my Verizon signal shows 3 bars on my phone. My download speeds vary from 20Mbps to 50Mbps. The antenna is built into the router. If you go to the Verizon Internet site, they can test your locale to see if Verizon Internet will work for you.

Mike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
What is this latency of which you speak? ;)

I upgraded to AT+T Fiber 500MBS service when thy finally activated it in my area. Prior to that I was on DSL service...as in "Damn Slow Lousy" Service. My Verizon JetPack was good for around 30-50MBS off the cell towers.

Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 11.14.38 AM.png

Bike
2010 NT700V
My son lives in Titusville. Looks like its I and Mom's turn for sleepless nights

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
What is this latency of which you speak? ;)

I upgraded to AT+T Fiber 500MBS service when thy finally activated it in my area. Prior to that I was on DSL service...as in "Damn Slow Lousy" Service. My Verizon JetPack was good for around 30-50MBS off the cell towers.

Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 11.14.38 AM.png
a ping of 5 is like nothin'. Will look into Verizon and see what they can do for me if needed. I wonder what DSL was?
I have been experimenting with needed speed for figure skating events this time of year.
5 meg is an absolute min. 10 is pretty solid.
Once I start watching Japan TV in Dec, I need a solid 10 or I get buffering
But I get 56 channels live and on demand for 2 weeks
I really only watch TV 3 months a year so there is that.....bs -tbs.jpg

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Latency was indeed a problem with Exede satellite service. We seldom streamed anything for just that reason. In my area, my Verizon signal shows 3 bars on my phone. My download speeds vary from 20Mbps to 50Mbps. The antenna is built into the router. If you go to the Verizon Internet site, they can test your locale to see if Verizon Internet will work for you.

Mike
That is good info....I will put it on my to do list. Thanks.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

Mike
OK, I got the message from Verizon that it is not available in my area but I am on a list to be informed if they get it.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Well. This is interesting. I called my little internet provider and they have been wonderful for 10 years to me, BTW. I told him a did a speed test and sometimes I got a full 10 mb and sometimes only 3 right now. He said there was something sucking my download data, so I raised the lid of my laptop next to the tv and turned it off and the drain went away. Anyway, the tech is giving me a free trial for a month of 15 mb download which normally is $25 more a month. 65 vs 90.

Top Bottom