It's not the most exciting ride....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
But it's one I like anyway. Ken Malone (RedBird on the Forum) and I got together this morning for what may be the last warm day for a couple of weeks and, if the weekend forecast is right, one of my last chances to get out of my garage and alley for a while. We are predicted to get up to 2 feet of snow this weekend!

Ken was on his newish NC700. I think he said that it's a 2018 or 2019. The guy who was the first owner had done some nice customizing: windshield, wind deflectors, Givi crash bars and pannier mounts. It's a good looking bike and Ken managed to stay in close contact with me on my much more powerful 2010 NT700V. Neither of us had seen the other one's new bike. I liked his; he liked mine.

We went up CO-392 to Briggsdale and kept going north on CR-77 to Hereford. There we turned north and went past Carpenter, WY, on our way to I-80. Just before we got to 80, we had an exciting moment 😧 😲, especially for me! There are a series of short, steep little hills that are close together. I was in the lead and knowing how steep those hills are, I should have slowed down since I was outrunning my line of sight. But I hadn't and came over a hill top and there was a herd of pronghorns crossing the road just over the summit. I didn't have time to count, but there were at least 20-30. A little over half the herd had gotten through the fence on the east side of the road and when I came in view, accelerated as hard as they could to the west. I was decelerating as hard as I could. The part of the herd that was still getting through the fence, reversed direction and accelerated as hard as they could in the other direction. For those of you who aren't familiar with pronghorns, they are usually called antelope, but they're not related to any other antelope species in the world. A lot of people out here call them goats, but they're not goats either. They're pronghorns, unrelated to any other animal in the world. They're fast, up to 60mph and have fantastic vision. One thing they don't do is the kind of suicidal things that deer do -- as far as I know they don't double back into the road once they've crossed it like deer will.

https://www.fws.gov/sagebrush/images/photoalbum/PronghornsCrossHighway_Seedskadee_Koerner.jpg

After we got on I-80, we realized how hard the wind was blowing. I was impressed that Ken's NC didn't have any trouble running at 80mph with me, but neither of us was getting very good gas mileage. The instant mileage was showing around 40mpg and a little lower. We were only on 80 for about 20 miles and then got on US-30 just east of Pine Bluffs, the last town in Wyoming. 30 took us to Kimball, NE, and Subway for lunch. After topping off our tanks, we went south on NE-71 until we crossed the Colorado border and were on CO-71. We followed it to CO-14, turned west rode through New Raymer and back to Briggsdale and home to my house. Interestingly (to me at least) the distance between the gas station near my house and Kimball going to Kimball was within 3/10 of a mile as the distance coming back to the same station by a different route. I got 49.4 mpg on the way up and 54.9 mpg coming back. The scenery is...well...scenic in the way that Eastern Colorado is scenic. Not flat, but long vistas and watersheds running mainly east and west. About the time you get west of New Raymer on 14, you start seeing lots of infrastructure built to support the huge amount of oil development done in NE Colorado over the last 10-12 years. We've had a dry winter and so there's not much in the way of color except for dull brown. That may change if the snow storm predicted for this weekend is as big as they're thinking. Our temperatures aren't supposed to be very far above or below freezing.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Phill almost got it right, the bike is a 2017. As this ride was ending my butt was telling me that the Russell sport saddle I have on order will really be appreciated! The stock seat is ok for 2 to 3 hours, but not much more. At least, that is my butt claims.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The butt knows all about saddle quality!

P1150022.JPG

And this is a good saddle! It is a Russell Sport Seat.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I saw on the morning news that CO and other adjoining states will soon receive another supply of the white stuff from the sky.

Here in west-central OH the weather has been kind to us with temps in the 40s-60s and all the white stuff gone. I've ridden for the past three days and today will make it 4 consecutive days!

RedBird - the NC seat is well known for being uncomfortable. I also have an NC!

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I saw on the morning news that CO and other adjoining states will soon receive another supply of the white stuff from the sky.

Here in west-central OH the weather has been kind to us with temps in the 40s-60s and all the white stuff gone. I've ridden for the past three days and today will make it 4 consecutive days!

RedBird - the NC seat is well known for being uncomfortable. I also have an NC!
I’ve seen your posts on the NC forum DirtFlyer. If Honda brings the 2021 model to the US I would be tempted to consider getting a DCT version. The 2017 I have is the non DCT non ABS one. I don’t understand why one is required to get the DCT in order to get ABS.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I would guess that still have plenty of 2020 DCTs leftovers and if so, those prices would be lower than for a 2021 model. And I'm assuming that other than color schemes, the 2021 and 2020 DCT models will be identical.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The 2021's are considerably different. New frunk, lower seat height, different windshield, and some other stuff I'm forgetting.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Yes, and I believe ride-by-wire, although no cruse control. If I remember correctly, they redesigned the frame, lowered the whole bike (shortened the suspension) to get the lower seat height. Found a first look article:

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I’ve seen your posts on the NC forum DirtFlyer. If Honda brings the 2021 model to the US I would be tempted to consider getting a DCT version. The 2017 I have is the non DCT non ABS one. I don’t understand why one is required to get the DCT in order to get ABS.
The most simplest and basic answer is when a rider panics while riding a DCT model, locks up the brakes, and crashes immediately. I believe it this falls under legal liability and not give any attorney a reason to go after Honda. ABS is a built in insurance policy for them and protection to rider under such circumstances.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
JustPassinThru said: "Believe me, hitting wildlife is no fun, even at slow speeds, even if you don't go down."

I know! I've had two deer hit me. The first one when I was on my 2nd C10 Concours, the 2nd one when I was on Dudley, my first NT. I didn't go down either time, but both bikes were damaged to the tune of about $2800. The one that hit me on the NT shattered my left hand with his antler and did about $12,000 damage to it. Plus, I can't write, eat, or manipulate tools without making a mess of things. :-(

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
My guess is that pairing ABS with DCT on some models helps efficency at the assembly factory while having both DCT and ABS available as separate options makes it more difficult. Just seeing a DCT engine bolted into the frame as it comes down the assembly line means it also gets ABS.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
My guess is that pairing ABS with DCT on some models helps efficency at the assembly factory while having both DCT and ABS available as separate options makes it more difficult. Just seeing a DCT engine bolted into the frame as it comes down the assembly line means it also gets ABS.
After having had a factory tour at Kawasaki's Lincoln factory back in '05, and watching the mix that came down the line, I doubt if having options between DCT and manual clutch wouldn't be complicated much by having a choice between ABS or not. At the Kawasaki plant, there would be 3 or 4 totally different bikes on the line at any given time and the part needed for the next bike was delivered to a worker's station just as the bike he was going to work on next arrived. I'd think that the computer that schedules the parts package for a work station would handle the option easily.

Top Bottom