Jim/Phil needs our help with tire sizes

Bike
2010 Red NT700
All, Just spoke to Phil who is in Tok, Alaska, together with Jim. Jim has a slow leak and may be lucky to get a tire flown in to Tok by tomorrow afternoon from somewhere. Should things not go right, what alternative tire sizes have you tried? Would a VStrom tire fit, for example? Please respond as soon as possible with your ideas. Unfortunately, Anchorage are out of NT rear tires and won't get them in for a week if special ordered......Urgent replies really appreciated. freezingalaskan

OP
OP
freezingalaskan
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Just spoke with Phil again. They have made a decision to order a tire to arrive in Fairbanks by Friday. They should be ok...
Freezingalaskan

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
There was a thread on here about car tires. Can't remember if it was determined if a car tire would work. Might be better than being stranded. (if it came to that)

skiper

Sorry - but I have to ask - What was undignified ? That kind of thing always makes me laugh , when someone finds something undignified. Was it the tires, scooter, swim trunks, swim cap ? I think dignity is overrated. :) I'm toasting for you guys on the epic ride..

skiper

Good goin Man.. Kudos to anyone willing to try that kind of trip on a scooter.. I actually like your avatar. It made me laugh when you said put your favorite girl on the back of the NT dressed properly. It's all in the spirit of fun.. Sometimes writing don't come out as good as speaking..

skiper

Sow what a great story.. and I thought it was you. I live near the glen curtiss museum housing his speed machine. He did 136 mph on the beach in ( 1920's approx. ) and his universal joint was a primitive bent flat steel with pin - no bearings. These guys were very determined or inspired by something. If you ever get inspired to write your recollections of the scooter voyage I think people here would like it..

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Didn't know there was a Glenn Curtiss museum
http://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/museum/glenncurtiss.html
Check out the pic of the bike! The guy is my hero ever since I read "Unlocking the Sky".
Note to moderators....note how I refrain from ragging about the three Wright brothers and their sister who set Amercian Aviation back 10 years.....must practice restraint!:)

Sow what a great story.. and I thought it was you. I live near the glen curtiss museum housing his speed machine. He did 136 mph on the beach in ( 1920's approx. ) and his universal joint was a primitive bent flat steel with pin - no bearings. These guys were very determined or inspired by something. If you ever get inspired to write your recollections of the scooter voyage I think people here would like it..

silverdevil

hate to go back on topic but 160/60 will fit in place of 150/70
this is the size of rear on Ninja 650R which I have and have used on the NT
last year on long trip I needed a new rear tire and the dealer I stopped at in Oregon had a 160/60 but not the 150/70, so I got it.
that was the 3rd time I used the 160 in place of the 150

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Didn't know there was a Glenn Curtiss museum
http://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/museum/glenncurtiss.html
Check out the pic of the bike! The guy is my hero ever since I read "Unlocking the Sky".
Note to moderators....note how I refrain from ragging about the three Wright brothers and their sister who set Amercian Aviation back 10 years.....must practice restraint!:)
Yep, patents are such troublesome things. Too bad they couldn't have made some sort of deal. But, the rest of the world just ignored it and went on anyway. And the irony of a forced merger later on was just icing on the cake. So, instead of both sides sharing profits you have them spend themselves into poverty paying legal fees. Imagine what could have happened if all that time and money had gone into design/development.

Bob,

I think the writeup in IBA of your scooter ride was great reading. I love underdogs :)

Top Bottom