Just bought a new helmet Arai Signet-Q

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I don't have my new bike yet, but I just bought a new helmet. My old RF-200's were about 25 years old, so I went helmet shopping last week. The Shoei was never quite comfortable after about three hours.

I started at webbikeworld for basic research. There, I discovered that I have a somewhat unusually shaped head (long narrow). Next stop was the local Yamasaki shop. They had a lot of helmets from about $100 on up past $600 (HJC to Arai and Shoei). My first choice was a modular with a built-in sunscreen. I spent about 2 hours trying on helmets.

HJC - inexpensive, inexpensive fit and finish, and it didn't fit my head. Bell - head shape was too round. The Shoei RF-1200 fit like my old RF-200. The Shoei GT-Air, though really more than I wanted to spend, was an "almost". I'd rate it at 9.0, maybe 9.5 out of 10.0. Worked my way through the Arai models. The Signet-Q fit like it was designed for me.

So although it isn't modular, it doesn't have a sunscreen, and it is more than $600; it fits perfectly.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Re: Just bought a new helmet

Yep, fit is most important.

I kinda wish they had some fitting that could be done, like ski boots.

Having said that, I have been know to 'modify' helmets to fit. Usually all it takes is to add a small pad someplace, or grind away a small amount of foam at the hot spot. Why didn't I try it first? Well, I did. But, wearing a helmet around for an hour or so just doesn't show up all the problem areas. One helmet (an HJC) fit perfect in the store, and for a couple of weeks riding. Then it started with a small spot the he forehead that rubbed wrong. It was the molded 'ridge' that was the problem. So, a little bit of work with a dremel and it fit great. Just made the transition more gradual.

In the old days I had a Bell M-1. It took some surgery around the temples.

My Shoei fit well except the cheekpads. Even their small ones were too big, so, yep, pulled out the foam and thinned it a bit.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural

One of the few things more personnel then a motorcycle is a helmet or none helmet. Heads are different shapes, and pressure points are not the same on everyone. It is a good thing there are so many manufactures, and styles.
I like modular as I do some bicycle support and need to be able to talk to people, and in the heat I can open it in traffic lights etc.
I like the Shark Evoline, as I can have it open and not get the wind pushing on the chin guard. My son likes one with the chin guard removable for MotoRefing.
I like to wear a under skull cap type, due to my bald head. It is suggested 5 years as on a helmet, I guess that is what the inside life span is.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5

I did try that with my Shoei. None were thin enough. So, surgery fixed it.

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950

I ended up with a new HJC CL-17 full face. The helmet is far and away better, in fit and finish, than the HJC's I have owned in the past and is 95% of a Shoei Qwest in quietness, has great ventilation...and the price is so low that I spent the difference on a new tent and sleeping bag.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5

Sam,

Make careful note of where the hot spot is and trim in VERY small stages. I found that as little a 1/16" taken off can make a huge difference.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700

I have an Arai head too. I have an XD-4. Most Arai helmets have removable pads of varying thickness to further improve fit. I wore mine so much that I eventually squished the cheekpads down to much and just ordered new ones.

Not only does the Arai fit great and wearable for many hours, but mine is very cool. In the winter it is too cold to wear because it has too much air flow.

My next helmet will be another Arai. Expensive, but what can you do. I used to get irritated with my old helmets and it makes such a huge difference and really improves your motorcycle experience to have a helmet you like.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5

Yep, at least a week of riding before I do surgery. Sometimes more depending on how bad it hurts.

OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300

Update:

I signed up for the MSF Beginner Course a week ago. Spent two days straight in the helmet. I don't need to change anything.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red

Update:

I signed up for the MSF Beginner Course a week ago. Spent two days straight in the helmet. I don't need to change anything.
I like the MSF Beginner Course and take it every Spring. It is amazing how "Rusty" you get over the winter. Besides you get to do your initial ride on someone else's bike. Pilots take a refresher course annually. I find that it helps me get the juices flowing.

I have been fortunate that the N-102 Nolan and the Bell Evo Revolver both fit me well. I also have an HJC Open Face for the really hot days.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

Helmet technology jumps forward quickly so although it's expensive, I make it a point to get a new helmet about every 3-4 years. And each time I get a more modern offering, I'm always amazed at the upgrades. I currently wear an HJC RPHA and it's my third modular (flip-front) HJC. And yes, I had to make a few internal mods to relieve areas that coincided with lumps on my head but that's an old story for me so I know the drill!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red

Modulars are nice. I particularly like the Bell Revolver because it has a really (in my view) well designed drop down sun shade that flips up quickly with the flick of a lever. The Nolan's sun shield is a bit Mickey Mouse-- although the new ones have the internal shield as well. The Nolan is six years old and should probably be replaced. Our H-D, Honda Dealer has HJC and Arai. I'll look at the HJC modulars. For some reason I get claustrophobic with a full face helmet. I also like to drink water at my stops and like the fact that I can just flip the chin piece up.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro

I purchased a Bell revolver Evo last week and had my first ride wearing it today.

First impressions are good and if you are looking for a modular this helmet should be considered. The only down side for me is that it is a little noisier than I anticipated (but I do not think it is any noiser than my previous full face helmet which is a Nitro brand). I had read some reviews saying the helmet was a little noisy so I was not surprised.

The recommended price in Australia is $249 and I mentioned to my local Honda dealer they were on sale elsewhere for $225. They ordered one in for me from the Austrlain distributor (Monza Imports) and I only paid $200 so I was quite happy with the price too.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I, too, have the Signet Q and it is the most comfortable helmet I've ever had. But now, in it's second year I'm getting a little leaking in very wet riding. Maybe it is just me or maybe I'm riding in more rain this year. It is going back to Arai at the end of this season because I think something might be wrong with the shield mechanism or seals.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I saw on a TV show th other day ARAI is making a helmet that has a tinted screen that is on the outside of the face shield and also helps with aerodynamics when in the up position

Top Bottom