Just found a 2010 NT700 V for sale

Bike
1997 Yamaha Seca II
A guy has one for sale in Kirkwood, MO., (that's close to St. Louis, MO) that's about 2 hours north from me.
According to him, and I have no reason to doubt this yet, he bought it from a Harley & Indian dealer in 2016. Apparently it had been sitting on their showroom floor for 6 years. It's got about 1000 miles on it. At 986 miles or so the instrument cluster died(?) and he had it replaced along with new tires installed and all fluids changed last October. He said he hadn't been riding it much since then for health reasons. Sounds like a deal for under $4k.

The instrument cluster died ? That is the only thing that would concern me, since I don't ever remember seeing anyone having problems with that. However, look the bike over good. Head pipe coloring will usually tell you if it has very many miles on it. Like mikesim said though, worth a look.

I wonder why he even mentioned the instrument cluster. ??
On a conventional analog replacement speedo the tenth digits are depicted in red to let the buyer know that it is not the original speedo/odo. Perhaps there is some sort of designator on the NT digital odo that identifies it as not original? This is just a supposition as I have never seen a replacement in service.

Mike

On a conventional analog replacement speedo the tenth digits are depicted in red to let the buyer know that it is not the original speedo/odo. Perhaps there is some sort of designator on the NT digital odo that identifies it as not original? This is just a supposition as I have never seen a replacement in service.

Mike
Is there any way to know if a bike came from a flood area?

Is there any way to know if a bike came from a flood area?
I don't know if this procedure is nationwide, but it should be. In Missouri, if a vehicle is considered a total loss by the insuring company for whatever reason when the settlement is made, the insuring company converts the original title to a "salvage" title. This alerts subsequent buyers that the vehicle was at onetime considered a total loss and the buyer should beware. The salvage title does not convey the reason for the total loss however. Sadly, in the case of motorcycles, sometimes mere cosmetic damage causes the total loss with no real harm to the bike. If the buyer knows what to look for, salvage bikes can be a great bargain..... but as always, caveat emptor.

Mike

I don't know if this procedure is nationwide, but it should be. In Missouri, if a vehicle is considered a total loss by the insuring company for whatever reason when the settlement is made, the insuring company converts the original title to a "salvage" title. This alerts subsequent buyers that the vehicle was at onetime considered a total loss and the buyer should beware. The salvage title does not convey the reason for the total loss however. Sadly, in the case of motorcycles, sometimes mere cosmetic damage causes the total loss with no real harm to the bike. If the buyer knows what to look for, salvage bikes can be a great bargain..... but as always, caveat emptor.

Mike
That's where DIVA is at.

Here in California, the procedure is very similar. However, you need to register the bike and jump through a lot of loops to do so. A CHP VIN Inspection, Brake/Lamp Inspection are required and a mountain of paperwork for the DMV. It was more hassle than just buying another bike. Again these bikes are quite rare in California.

Bringing in a bike with an out-of-state title is just as much as a hassle and DMV charges you what they call a "Use Tax", which is basically Sale Tax of the purchase price determined by your county. In my case, the tax rate would be 9.5%.

What Mikesim said..........here in BamaLand, the insurance company decides to "total" it or not. If they do total it, it will typically be sold at an auction with a Salvage Title. Alabama also has another title "Certificate for Destruction" (??) where the bike can only be parted out, never re-registered and put back on the road (legally). If the bike has a Salvage Title, in order to get it changed to an "Alabama Rebuilt Title", one must sacrifice their first born, their left testicle, and promise never to buy another motorcycle again.........the bike has to go thru mounds of paperwork where an "Alabama Licensed Rebuilder" fills out all the forms, has copies of receipts for the parts purchased to repair, and pretty much signs his name away saying the bike has no frame damage, etc (i.e. Liability Insurance). A normal Joe Blow cannot get a Rebuilder License unless he can prove to the State that he does it for a living (a business). So, when everything is submitted, the Salvage title now becomes a Rebuilt Title, and can be tagged for the road.
Every state has its own title laws (some are identical). Also, Alabama will not issue any kind of Title for a bike over 35 yrs old.........all you have to do is register it with DMV to get a tag. So, I assume (??) a Salvaged bike in Alabama can be tagged for the road after 35 yrs without filling out all the forms..........(not sure about that??).

Missouri marks titles as salvaged and it is impossible to get that removed in State. That doesn't exclude the bike coming from a different state however. I looked at the pics of that bike and it appears to be well used. I moved past this one and found another.

Back
Top Bottom