Just made the switch

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I did my 12,000 mi. oil change after work today and finally got around to using Rotella T6. I was at Walmart and they didnt have an M1-108. Since I only do 4000 miles on syn., I crossed it to several other brands on my iphone and decided on a Fram...FYI any of the Fram with 6607 in the P/N will cross to the OEM or Mobil1...Beware though, some of the cross referenced ones are of the too long variety, e.g., the Bosch D3300 is too long
And please, if you are not a fan of Fram, keep it to yourself
I don't need any know-it-alls peeing on my brain
I am comfortable with my choices

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
My major obective w every oil change is to get er done w the least distruption.
My thoughts, too. Thats why I got the Fram filter. One stop shopping. I have read about many ST owners using the Walmart brand when they were still available and being very happy with them, so I'm not worried about good old Fram, no matter what anyone says about them these days.
There was a disruption though. I thought I would be clever, so after I had drained as much oil as I could up on the centerstand, I repositioned my pan forward under the bike and dropped her her down to the sidestand and got some more oil out. A decent amt.
Then when I went to go back up on the centerstand to refill, the front tire hit the previously repositioned pan and slashed gobs of oil everwhere! I spent an 30 minutes cleaning that up. I swear, one of these days I am going to seal that floor

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I always start the oil change on the sidestand. As the drips get infrequent, I then will carefully get on the bike so as not to kick the oil pan, then lean the bike to the right and hold it for a few seconds. Then lean it back to the left and put it on the sidestand. I was surprised at how much oil came out the first time I did this. I do this until all the oil comes out. Only then do I put it on the centerstand to change the oil filter (every other OCI). It takes a few minutes longer, but I think it is worth a little extra time.

I learned the lean trick from my DR650. The drain bolt is in exact middle at the bottom of the engine. So oil collects at the left side of the engine case while on the sidestand. It is actually part of the procedure to sit on the bike and lean it to the right. It seems to work on the NT as well.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I also use Rotella T-6 Synthetic. The reason I use the K&N 204 is that I can change it with the bike on the side stand using a 17mm ratcheting wrench. I also safety wire the filter and oil drain plug. Many years ago, I had an oil plug vibrate loose on my Triumph Bonneville while on I-81. The sound that engine made when it disintegrated is a sound I will never forget. I don't ever want to expererience that again. All of my bikes have since then been safety wired.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I am also sometimes messy with oil changes.
I find it easyer to change the filter on the side stand. That way no repositioning the drain pan.

Brad

skiper

Sailariel - how is the wiring done ? Aviation types have bolts drilled and wrap around castle nut or some such. What do you mean ? Is it an old mc technique or your idea ?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I also use Rotella T-6 Synthetic. The reason I use the K&N 204 is that I can change it with the bike on the side stand using a 17mm ratcheting wrench. I also safety wire the filter and oil drain plug. Many years ago, I had an oil plug vibrate loose on my Triumph Bonneville while on I-81. The sound that engine made when it disintegrated is a sound I will never forget. I don't ever want to expererience that again. All of my bikes have since then been safety wired.
I doubt if you have had many modern bikes that vibrated as bad as that Bonneville. I don't think its likely that the NT's drain plug would ever vibrate loose if installed properly.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I doubt if you have had many modern bikes that vibrated as bad as that Bonneville. I don't think its likely that the NT's drain plug would ever vibrate loose if installed properly.
I'm sure you are right. It is just my own paranoia, and safety wiring is not very hard.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Sailariel - how is the wiring done ? Aviation types have bolts drilled and wrap around castle nut or some such. What do you mean ? Is it an old mc technique or your idea ?
Skiper,
I drilled a very fine hole diagonally into the hexagonal head of the drain plug. The K&N filter already has a provision for safety wire---primarily because it is the favorite filter of racers. I simply wire the two together. When I change the oil, I cut the wire and replace it with new wire when done. Nothing new about safety wiring an mc. It is required on bikes using a track. My Ninja was completely safety wired.

skiper

I like the look of it. Hope your knee and leg are in schedule for spring riding, take care

Top Bottom