Kaoko Throttle Lock Cruise Control

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I emailed the US distributor with an inquiry about this and got a real quick response.

"Phil, Thanks for the note. We can get them however to date there has not been one inquiry. We can try to do a group deal to get them introduced into the states. thoughts? thanks, Andrew"

In my reply to that, I told him that there would need to be some variation between the ones with stock or Honda heated grips. Chuck Henderson has already figured out that ST1300 bar end weights fit the NT with no problem, so I told him that, too. I won't change out my Throttlemeister (and I didn't tell him that!) but it does look like an interesting alternative.

Check it out at: www.adventurersworkshop.com and www.kaoko.com.

I've emailed Kaoko to ask them if it fits both Hondaline heated grips and the stock grips.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I emailed Kaoko and learned that Adventurers Workshop has never ordered a Kaoko from them, but that Twisted Throttle is also a US distributor. The guy at Kaoko sent me this lengthy and interesting reply:

Dear Phil Tarman

Thank you for your email and interest in our cruise control product range for your forum members.

To answer your question; yes – we do have a cruise control purpose designed for the NT700V/A models. The product is HNDNT, and is available globally through most of our Distributors.

Which of the KAOKO USA distributors have you discussed the idea of generating some interest on the NT-Owners forum with?
I have just pulled a report and see that the only KAOKO USA distributor that has ever purchased our HNDNT controls is Twisted Throttle (www.twistedthrottle.com)

One thing that the NT owners will need to understand is that the fitting of our HNDNT product is slightly more complicated than fitting the balance of our product line to most other bikes.
We do still manufacture our product to OEM bar end weight specs, and the fitting is done is a similar fashion to the balance of our product line – it is just a little more difficult. This because after your OEM bar weight has been removed, there is a rubber mounted threaded insert located inside the handle bar tubes (in the ID). On most other Honda products this insert is easily prized out as it is located at the end of the handle bar tubes. On the NT700, it is located about 10mm from the edge of the handle bar tubes, making it significantly more difficult to remove the insert. Most people with perseverance will be able to remove this insert, but some will give up leaving the job frustrated and possibly with KAOKO’s product. We have had no feedback of this as yet, but I expect it too come at some stage from a customer or two located in one of our export markets.

What I advise the best solution to this problem is that if members on the NT-Owners forum want to purchase a KAOKO HNDNT control, that they take their bike into their HONDA OEM dealer and have the workshop staff remove this insert for them. Honda will have specliased tooling for this job and won’t take more than a few minutes to do. Following the removal of this insert consumers can easily fit the HNDNT product. However, some of the OEM’s don’t like nor encourage the removal of OEM components – this for liability and warranty reasons.

I don’t want to scare you and the members of the NT-Owners forum off using a KAOKO HNDNT control – all I am saying is that the fitting is a little more difficult than on the balance of our product line; and I think it only fair to advise the members of this in advance and prior to their ordering and purchase of the product.
What is also important for your members to understand is that KAOKO is always prepared to provide assistance and advise on a fitting difficulty / problem. We prefer assisting prior to forum members looking for advice from other sources or forum members.

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you

Kind Regards
Nic Mentis

Last edited:

CoolNT

Phil, a very interesting twist. BTW, when I was installing my heated grips, it appeared that this insert (that the bar ends screw into) were welded. Somebody correct me or refresh my memory please.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Ron,

Surely you don't expect me to refresh anybody's memory!?! My rememberer isn't that good these days. I honestly don't remember. It seems like there was something in there that came out that the OEM bar end weights screwed into.

BTW, I got another reply from Mr Mentis at Kaoko:

Dear Phil

Regarding the Honda Line heated grips – I do not have an answer on this yet; but since we manufacture to OEM specs most our products are suitable for use with OEM aftermarket products.
I will follow up on this though.

Thank you

Kind Regards
Nic Mentis

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Further email from Nic at Kaoko in South Africa:

<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Phil

The HNDST is purpose designed for the ST1300/A; and the HNDNT is purpose designed for the NT700V/A.
The parts are not interchangeable.

Do you have a product code for the Honda Hondaline heated grips for the NT700?

I will arrange a set from Honda SA for development on.

<<<<<<<<<<<

I sent Nic the part number and it sure sounds to me as if they are working on a product that will be very useful for all of us who haven't already found the "perfect" cruise control/throttle lock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
More info from Nik:

>>>>>>>>>>

HI Phil

Please see below reply from my mate that works at Honda South Africa.

No stock. They can be fitted to NT700, ST1300, VFR800
08T50-EWA-800C GRIP HEATER (12A) R1.622,63
08T50-MEW-800 HEATED GRIP ATTACHMENT R676,91

He will send out a bulk email to all Honda dealers country wide to see if any of them have stock. He is very confident that none will have stock though since our country?s weather does not really permit the need for heated grips. But we?ll wait and see what he comes back with.

I may need to bring these items in from Japan through Honda SA.
However, I do know that our HNDST control works fine with heated grips on the ST1300/A, and since they are the same product I am pretty confident that the HNDNT will work fine on the NT700V/A with the above listed heated grip product. I would like to confirm this prior to marketing the product as suitable for the use of same.

If one of you guys would like to test this out on one of your NT700 forum member bikes, product HNDNT can be purchased from Twisted Throttle in RI, and someone from their company will make contact with you shortly.

Please advise if I can be of any further assistance and I look forward to your reply.

Thank you

Kind Regards
Nic Mentis

>>>>>>>>>>>

This guy is working hard to get our business. I'm tempted to go to Twisted Throttle and buy one, but then I'd have multiply-farkeled handlebars and I don't need that. Why don't one of you guys go for it?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
This would be the one I'd buy if I didn't have a fully-functional Throttlemeister.

Pabill

I was not able to install the kaoko on my NT700 because the sleeve on the Kaoko is the same diameter as the plastic shell of my stock hand grip I assume that this thrust sleeve is intended to fit inside the end of the grip

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I was not able to install the kaoko on my NT700 because the sleeve on the Kaoko is the same diameter as the plastic shell of my stock hand grip I assume that this thrust sleeve is intended to fit inside the end of the grip
Have you talked to Twisted Throttle (assuming that's where you bought it)? They were helpful with fitment issues on equipment I've bought from them.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The sleeve "should" be the same diameter as your white plastic throttle sleeve. The larger flange on the sleeve butts up against the outside of your grip. I just installed mine on Sunday and it works fine. I have the Honda heated grips. When in use its the flange pushing against the outside of the grip that holds the throttle in place. While I had some initial problems removing the internal bar weight once that was done installation of the Kaoko was very easy. I think this is the nicest and easiest to use throttle lock I have seen.

Top Bottom