Kaoko Throttle Lock

bankerbob

Just installed the Kaoko throttle lock on my NT700 with heated grips. I bought it from Twisted Throttle, for $120. Good buy and nice unit , works great. Instal was easy,except for taking the bar end out. I managed it by screwing in the weight bolt, applying a vise grip next to the nut and tapping it out with a light hammer hitting the vise grip. Not clean but it works. The Kaoko kit comes with a small sheet of brass. I needed to cut a piece to wrap around the locking nut to shim up the fit. It needs to slide in very snugly.All toll about a half hours worth of work.
Bankerbob

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Just installed the Kaoko throttle lock on my NT700 with heated grips. I bought it from Twisted Throttle, for $120. Good buy and nice unit , works great. Instal was easy,except for taking the bar end out. I managed it by screwing in the weight bolt, applying a vise grip next to the nut and tapping it out with a light hammer hitting the vise grip. Not clean but it works. The Kaoko kit comes with a small sheet of brass. I needed to cut a piece to wrap around the locking nut to shim up the fit. It needs to slide in very snugly.All toll about a half hours worth of work.
Bankerbob
I also installed one and my story is the same as BankerBob's. I would say however that I have yet to master the technique of actually turning it on while riding. I find holding the throttle and using my pinky finger to turn it on is challenging. I find it easier to reach over with my left hand to turn it on although this is not the safest method. Looks like I need a little more practice. Got any tips ?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
No experience with the Kaoko unit, Warren (although if I'd known about it when I bought the Throttlemeister, I'd have probably bought the Kaoko).

With the Throttlemeister, I hold the throttle as best I can with my index finger, while I roll the TM on with the other three fingers of my right hand. I usually don't get it locked without losing some or all of my throttle, but once it's locked, it's easy enough to roll the throttle back on.

If I'm slowing down, say for an exit, I'll roll the TM off. If I just need to slow down fast, I'll roll the throttle itself off as fast as I can and then unlock the TM when things get a bit more slow-paced.

I'm not that different than Phil on this one. With my Throttlemeister, I accelerate faster than I want to go, pull in the clutch, reduce the throttle, lock the cruise control, increase the throttle and let out the clutch and adjust the speed. It's actually pretty easy after you've done this a few times.

Terry

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I have Manic Salamander throttle lock and have the same issue. I usually use the left hand reach method.
It sounds like several people here have had a difficult time removing the NT bar end internals. Honda did a good job of hiding their internal latches. They are not that obvious until you get them out. I think there is a picture of the latch posted somewhere that would help if you had it before trying to remove the old ones. Just need to push in the latching ears thought he hole in the bars.

Brad

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The two handed approach is why I like the Vista Cruise. A bit uglier but works one handed without any unusual movements. Once I get out on the interstate or open highway I flip it "on".

I WILL get a real cruise control one of these days. :)

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I installed a vista cruise on my old Concours and liked it but I never came up with a clean way to install on this bike so I went the Salamander route. On the Connie I bent some 1/4 inch SS tubing and anchored it at an unused mirror mounting hole to keep the vista from turning. It was clean and polished up looked like it belonged there.

Brad

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
So there is a reason why they don't recommend these for the novice...

Nomad

Issue (1) Removing original NT bar weight: I unsuccessfully labored with this following Kaoko's instructions. Finally, I asked a friend to help and we found 3-hands made it an easy job. One guy prys-in the tabs (per Kaoko's instructions) and the helper pulls-out the bar shaft. If you have trouble with the suggested method, you are likely forcing-in one, or both of the tabs too far, thus distorting the remaining part of the clip and preventing removal of the shaft. The tabs don't need to be pushed-in deeply.
Issue (2) Using the Kaoko throttle control: Having used Kaokos on other bikes for many years I can attest they are quite easy to set/adjust with the throttle hand -- once you develop the technique, it becomes automatic. Unlike the Throttlemeister (which has tight tolerances), the Kaoko allows considerable movement prior to engagement. If you remove this "play" by adjusting-out the slack prior to, or during riding, it is easy to slide the baby finger over the control and add resistance as you roll-on the throttle. Once you've mastered this technique, you'll find it quite easy to pre-adjust the proper tension.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Bought a Crampbuster which helps a lot. However, the Kaoko has a clean looking installation, and I would like to rest my hand for a while on the highway. Do owners of the Kaoko like it enough to buy it again? Is it worth the (high) price? Thanks for your opinions.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I never bought a Kaoko since I'd put a Throttlemeister on my NT when I bought it. But I was in conversation with the Kaoko factory in South Africa about whether or not the same Kaoko that fit the ST1300 would work on the NT and they borrowed an NT from the South African distributor to do a trial installation. Then they let me know that they'd had to make a few mods to make it work on the NT but that they'd tested it on both heated and un-heated factory handlebars and that the same Kaoko worked on both.

I was impressed with their responsiveness and readiness to do some work just to be able to answer a customer's question. Especially when that customer had told them up front that he already owned a Throttlemeister and probably wouldn't buy their product. It would have been easy for them to just ignore my question.

Now, I've got a Rostra Electronic Cruise Control on the bike, but I still appreciate having the Throttlemeister there as a backup. Once you get used to not having to constantly grip the throttle, it's hard to appreciate going back to that need to manually maintain a speed while droning down the road.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Kaoko is much nicer than a crampbuster. I'm not sure it is the best throttle lock out there, but it works and looks good. The rest is personal preference.

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I would buy and install one again, but it does not work any better or worse then the old suicide throttle locks we used back in the 1980's and 90's. It does look a lot better then them, but takes some getting used too to engage.

Having used a Brakeaway on several cruisers I really wish they made one for our NT700's.

Top Bottom