KaokoThrottle Lock install help

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I'm working on installing the Kaoko throttle lock and I'm stuck on trying to remove the right-hand throttle inner handle bar insert. The directions say to use two small screwdrivers to prize in the two spring tabs towards each other and then simultaneously pull out the insert. I can slightly prize the two spring tabs in but can't get the insert to pull out. With a plier on the outside of the insert I can rotate it so it doesn't seem like it is glued in? I've attached two pictures. One showing the top spring clip and the second a picture I got off this forum, showing a picture of the insert. Any ideas? Thank You.20220224_152119.jpgHandle Bar weights.JPG

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got the Kaoko throttle lock on my NT, but I can't help answer your question. I couldn't get the insert out either and a friend of mine did it for me, but I can't tell you what he did. He's fighting cancer right now and I won't bother to ask him.

Did you buy yours from Twisted Throttle like I did? They offer pretty good technical support; you might call them and ask for help.

OP
OP
oldtimer
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
yes, I purchase from twisted throttle. I will give them a call if I can't get it. Praying for your friend!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I had the same problem. I got the spring clip out in pieces. I used FORCE. I made a puller which screwed into the handle bar weight and the other end bottomed out against the end of the handle bar. Then I used the threaded rod which was screwed into the weight and passed through the spacer against the handle bar end and with a nut on the end I tightened until it broke loose. It was really tight. Nothing but the spring clip was destroyed in the process.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I had the same problem. I got the spring clip out in pieces. I used FORCE. I made a puller which screwed into the handle bar weight and the other end bottomed out against the end of the handle bar. Then I used the threaded rod which was screwed into the weight and passed through the spacer against the handle bar end and with a nut on the end I tightened until it broke loose. It was really tight. Nothing but the spring clip was destroyed in the process.
Fudds First Law:. Push anything hard enough and it WILL fall over!

Mike

OP
OP
oldtimer
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I finally got it out. I put a hose clamp around the spring pins to hold them while I pulled. See pic. This may have helped because the rubber sleeves on the insert were all gunked up, and sticking to the inside of the bar. Also, and probably more important, if you look close at the picture with the clamp, there is a 1/8" hole through the top of the bar, where the black rubber is just sticking out a bit. Looking real close, in addition to the protruding rubber there is also a little piece of the spring clip protruding up into the hole. I scraped some of the rubber out, then pushed down on this piece of the clip and out the insert came... 20220224_161325.jpgand out the insert came. Now I'm ready to install the throttle lock when it arrives.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Fudds First Law:. Push anything hard enough and it WILL fall over!

Mike
Mike, I graduated from the Red Green School of Engineering with a Masters Degree Summa Cum Laude. Are you disputing my ingenuity and resourcefulness?

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Getting this out is always a right royal pain in the bum (as everyone else has also confirmed).

The installation of the Kaoko assembly is really easy.

Seagrass

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Mike, I graduated from the Red Green School of Engineering with a Masters Degree Summa Cum Laude. Are you disputing my ingenuity and resourcefulness?
Jim, I didn't get a degree from any engineering school, but I worked in the oil field. Our motto was, "If you can't get something undone, get a bigger hammer."

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Nay, nay O Master of the Hammer Sledge! Your methodology just confirms Ignatius Fudd's First Law of Engineering, push anything hard enough and it will fall over. His second law by the way, is, "If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem" with which of course you are undoubtedly very familiar!

;)

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Nay, nay O Master of the Hammer Sledge! Your methodology just confirms Ignatius Fudd's First Law of Engineering, push anything hard enough and it will fall over. His second law by the way, is, "If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem" with which of course you are undoubtedly very familiar!

;)

Mike
So, my reputation as an ace hammer technician has gotten out. My secret to success is "it's not the size of the hammer you use but how hard you can swing it."

Electrical problems are easy to diagnose. Just hook up the old smoke-o-meter and it will lead you to the problem quickly.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Electrical problems are easy to diagnose. Just hook up the old smoke-o-meter and it will lead you to the problem quickly.
Unless your electrical system was designed by Lucas. If it was all the smoke has gotten out and you can't diagnose squat.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Years ago when I was a pup I worked at a Honda/Triumph/Royal Enfield dealer. Our senior mechanic who was a crusty old Brit bike guy had a glass jar with an authentic looking Lucas label that said "Genuine Lucas Smoke", part # 176839. We thought it was hilarious. I thought nothing more of it until two years ago I visited Baxter Cycles in Marne, IA as part of a Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club tour. They had every Brit bike part imaginable in the original packaging and there on one of the shelves what did I see but lo and behold an exact duplicate of the Genuine Lucas Smoke jar. I asked the owner how long they have had it and said it has been there so long they can't remember where or when they acquired it. Somebody, back in the day, (early/mid sixties) were selling them. I wish I had one.

Mike

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
So, my reputation as an ace hammer technician has gotten out. My secret to success is "it's not the size of the hammer you use but how hard you can swing it."

Back in my early years as an apprentice scale maker (weighing machines) one of the places we used to visit regularly to service their weighing equipment was Queensland Cement & Lime.

The head maintenance guy there used to walk around with a hammer and a pair of pliers. He always told us that if whatever he was called to work on could not be fixed with the hammer and pliers it needed a full overhaul at the on-site workshop.

This guy was obviously another “ace hammer technician” as he could fix nearly anything with that hammer and pair of pliers.

Seagrass

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Years ago when I was a pup I worked at a Honda/Triumph/Royal Enfield dealer. Our senior mechanic who was a crusty old Brit bike guy had a glass jar with an authentic looking Lucas label that said "Genuine Lucas Smoke", part # 176839. We thought it was hilarious. I thought nothing more of it until two years ago I visited Baxter Cycles in Marne, IA as part of a Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club tour. They had every Brit bike part imaginable in the original packaging and there on one of the shelves what did I see but lo and behold an exact duplicate of the Genuine Lucas Smoke jar. I asked the owner how long they have had it and said it has been there so long they can't remember where or when they acquired it. Somebody, back in the day, (early/mid sixties) were selling them. I wish I had one.

Mike
We had a '73 MG-B that was a pretty good car...except for Lucas electrical system. It finally leaked out all of its smoke and didn't run for the next 8 years. We lucked out and found a buyer for it and he thought he had it fixed, but four months later, it died again. He moved away with the MG on a trailer and I don't know what happened after that.

OP
OP
oldtimer
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I got the Kaiko installed today. Seems to work fine so we will see how I like it. It's not real cruise but then it costs bunches less and is much easier to install.

20220310_162904.jpg

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've got a Kaiko on Horse, in addition to the McCruise. The Kaiko is handy from time to time and was particularly helpful when I had the vacuum-operated McCruise which didn't hold a speed above about 60 when I was at higher altitudes or dealing with headwinds.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Getting this out is always a right royal pain in the bum (as everyone else has also confirmed).

The installation of the Kaoko assembly is really easy.

Seagrass
IIRC Frosty helped me with my VFR.....It was a matter of holding your tounge just right.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

Always remember that if you keep putting in a bigger fuse, you will find the problem!
redgreen.jpg

Top Bottom