Kawaski EX 500 - What to do?

Bike
2010 NT RED
So, I have acquired a 1993 Kawasaki EX500. The bike has been in storage since 2004 (that's the license plate year) and was not running. It only has a little over 12,000 miles on the odometer.

I pulled the carburetors and cleaned the jets, needles and seats. Put in a new set of spark plugs. The gas tank was almost full, so a dumped in a half bottle of Sea Foam in it. Purchased and installed a new battery.

The motorcycle started right-up. Oiled the chain, put some air in the tires and rode it to the car wash and gave it a bath. The bike runs great, very smooth engine, it's quite quick. I didn't push it to hard because the tires are 20yrs old.

The Bike is not perfect, it has a few problems. It looks like it was dropped on the right side (see pictures), it has a few scratches on the gas tank.

The question is what to do with it. It's not really my riding style. I couldn't do much more than an hour in that seating position. I may want to sell it, or trade it in on something smaller. I would like to have something small and lite to ride around town (Honda Nighthawk 250 maybe).

What do you think??

Attachments

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The EX500 is a really nice bike. I had an EX250R for three years and loved it. There are some things you can do to make it more comfortable such as adding handlebar risers. Apparently the bike owes you nothing. These bikes are reliable and fast--some have even added soft luggage and went touring. If it were me, I would keep the bike,

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT RED
Thanks for your thoughts. The NT is my first motorcycle, so the EX500 is quite a change. I put insurance on the EX500 just this morning. I think I will ride it around town to get a better opinion based on more time riding it.

Have you considered a track day on the EX? Its a Ninja after all. Great way to take your skills to the next level, where ever that may be.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
retail price is $1200-$1500 in excellent condition if that helps you make a decision

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT RED
Rednigel - Thanks, I like the color. The white wheels and stripes are very 90s

NoVa Chris - I have seen lots of youtube track days and read about them. It would improve my riding (I need all the help I can get). And yes I think a track day would be fun. The instructor that gave the MSC is a road racer and gives advanced classes in a track setting.

Warren - I was hoping for more $$ (of course) but thanks for the value. Can you tell from the pictures what you think of this one?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Send it to me :) I'd use it as a track day bike too. And, maybe for those Sunday morning rides when I want the Guzzi to have a day off.

Oh well :D

So, polish it up and sell it. Or, keep it around for a bit. Track days are a good use for it. Also could throw some soft bags on it and use it for errands around town. Or, learn to ride with a backpack when you do errands. Or use a tank bag. That's what I did before I got side cases.

Unless you decide you like it and want to keep it permanently, I would not put any real money into it. Maybe new grips or risers if you feel you need them.

tawilke46

I would vote to keep it. Makes a great second bike and a different kind of ride. Plus give you a motorcycle to gradually fix up and make it real pretty........yeah I like it!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
So, I have acquired a 1993 Kawasaki EX500. The bike has been in storage since 2004 (that's the license plate year) and was not running. It only has a little over 12,000 miles on the odometer.

I pulled the carburetors and cleaned the jets, needles and seats. Put in a new set of spark plugs. The gas tank was almost full, so a dumped in a half bottle of Sea Foam in it. Purchased and installed a new battery.

The motorcycle started right-up. Oiled the chain, put some air in the tires and rode it to the car wash and gave it a bath. The bike runs great, very smooth engine, it's quite quick. I didn't push it to hard because the tires are 20yrs old.

The Bike is not perfect, it has a few problems. It looks like it was dropped on the right side (see pictures), it has a few scratches on the gas tank.

The question is what to do with it. It's not really my riding style. I couldn't do much more than an hour in that seating position. I may want to sell it, or trade it in on something smaller. I would like to have something small and lite to ride around town (Honda Nighthawk 250 maybe).

What do you think??
I will send this over to my son in law and daughter. They are looking to replace my daughters EX500 as they has a lot of miles on theirs..

Last edited:

kenstone

Mine was older...had a belt drive:D
I had the seat reworked at a boat seat shop to remove the step by building UP the front, rider portion, and that greatly improved the comfort level;).
It was a fun bike for me, with no chain, and would move right along if you worked the shifter:)
I two toned the seat so it didn't look like a scooter or flying seat with a motorcycle attached.
Any running bike's value will hover around $1500-2000 if it has good tires/battery and has not been molested/butchered, reguardless of age.
Here's a pic of it when I sold it.
Checkout the highly mod'ed windshield/windshield mount

:twocents1:

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT RED
I took it out this evening for a ride. I can't get over how different it is from the NT. The power band doesn't get going until 6 grand + RPM, when it kicks in you really feel it. The bike does seem to handle the curves. You don't seem to have to "turn in" as hard, just a little counter steer and it tracks through the corner. I began to relax a little while riding and that helped with the seating position. On the NT, when no one is in front of me, sometimes I let go of the bars and sit straight up. Did that on this bike and the front bars/wheel shook like crazy. I am hoping that is the bad front tire. Wouldn't think a steering knuckle problem with 12k miles. I really shouldn't be riding it at all until the new tires come in (I ordered them this afternoon). Thank you all for your input. I thought about posting this on the EX500 forum, but I don't know those people.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I took it out this evening for a ride. I can't get over how different it is from the NT. The power band doesn't get going until 6 grand + RPM, when it kicks in you really feel it. The bike does seem to handle the curves. You don't seem to have to "turn in" as hard, just a little counter steer and it tracks through the corner. I began to relax a little while riding and that helped with the seating position. On the NT, when no one is in front of me, sometimes I let go of the bars and sit straight up. Did that on this bike and the front bars/wheel shook like crazy. I am hoping that is the bad front tire. Wouldn't think a steering knuckle problem with 12k miles. I really shouldn't be riding it at all until the new tires come in (I ordered them this afternoon). Thank you all for your input. I thought about posting this on the EX500 forum, but I don't know those people.
Jeff PM sent.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT RED
Wow Kenstone That's a classy looking bike. I don't know if you can get anything from the 90's to look that good. I like the wheels. I'm kinda fond of the Yamaha SR 400 - kick start only - cool.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I thought about posting this on the EX500 forum, but I don't know those people.
Hey, I didn't know you guys when I first came here. And now there isn't anybody here, met or not, that I wouldn't have a beer with. After the riding day.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Did that on this bike and the front bars/wheel shook like crazy.
Jeff, that was kind of a classic deal with the C10 Concours. It usually was a loose headset bearing. Try tightening it up maybe a 1/4 of a turn and see if it goes away. Someone at the Kawasaki plant in Lincoln let about one if every three down the line with loose headsets.

kenstone

Wow Kenstone That's a classy looking bike. I don't know if you can get anything from the 90's to look that good. I like the wheels. I'm kinda fond of the Yamaha SR 400 - kick start only - cool.
OOPS...wrong model :p
Shudda looked at your pics
My favorite '90's bike, kinda a naked NT :shrug2:
VX800

:smile:

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Not to steal the Thread but since every one is posting pictures of their old classics, here is one of mine that I traded in on my NT three and a half years ago. A 1979 CB650. The forgotten Honda CB. Edit: By the way this is a copy of my First ever motorcycle back in 1982 when I was a lot younger.:rolleyes:

SAM_0227.jpg

SAM_0223.jpg

Last edited:

kenstone

Some have called me a Hoarder

:shrug2:

'83 650 Nighthawk...a shafty:)

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Do they all run and are they reg. and plated? Wish I had the room, but I have a thing about the bikes having to be road worthy. It would drive my OCD crazy to have a garage full of vintage bikes in various stages of running condition. Wish I could do it. I envy you.

Top Bottom