Key stuck in luggage lock

Anyone had success getting a stuck key out of luggage lock for side cases? I have looked on the web n tried all ideas. Is a locksmith my only hope?

Make SURE that you have completely latched the lids or the key will not come out. Also make sure that the little handles that you pull to release the lids has returned to the out position or the key will not come out either. I had this problem when I first got my 700 and it was just that the little pull handles needed lubed so that they fully returned. You can just make sure they are returned outward first.

Cliff

Last edited:
OP
OP
hondafan007
Make SURE that you have completely latched the lids or the key will not come out. Also make sure that the little handles that you pull to release the lids has returned to the out position or the key will not come out either. I had this problem when I first got my 700 and it was just that the little pull handles needed lubed so that they fully returned. You can just make sure they are returned outward first.

Cliff
Wow.....I sure hope that works. So you could never unlock and pull key out in unlocked position? The salesman mentioned owner said to give right lid a good push n key would come out I tried but maybe the release handles werent fully closed. I did take the seat off n noticed alot of old thick grease n thought that needs cleaning and relube...
Ty
Greg

Wow.....I sure hope that works. So you could never unlock and pull key out in unlocked position? The salesman mentioned owner said to give right lid a good push n key would come out I tried but maybe the release handles werent fully closed. I did take the seat off n noticed alot of old thick grease n thought that needs cleaning and relube...
Ty
Greg
Correct. You cannot remove the key in the unlocked position on the bags.

Reactions: ett

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The accumulated grease is likely the culprit. When you have the seat off clean the mechanisms with a spray on parts cleaner and then lubricate the mechanism lightly with a graphite lock lube. With the graphite lube the liquid "vehicle" evaporates leaving just the graphite residue which doesn't attract the muck that heavier greases do. I posted some other info in an earlier thread of yours.

Mike

OP
OP
hondafan007
Correct. You cannot remove the key in the unlocked position on the bags.
I got the key out and cleaned all that gunk I could get to and now understand a bit better of how it works. My right case just wouldnt latch where the lever would go back to to closed position. Noticed that they jb welded those metal tabs on the lid. Figured they weren't pushing the latch enough where it would hook on when the spring would latch on to it. So temp hot glued a little piece of wood on the end of the tabs and closed lid and it latched into place... so off comes the temp n a little jb weld to add just a bit on the end of tabs. Think it will work! This NT forum is great n ty for replying with your knowledge Cliffh. Helped out big time!!!!!

I got the key out and cleaned all that gunk I could get to and now understand a bit better of how it works. My right case just wouldnt latch where the lever would go back to to closed position. Noticed that they jb welded those metal tabs on the lid. Figured they weren't pushing the latch enough where it would hook on when the spring would latch on to it. So temp hot glued a little piece of wood on the end of the tabs and closed lid and it latched into place... so off comes the temp n a little jb weld to add just a bit on the end of tabs. Think it will work! This NT forum is great n ty for replying with your knowledge Cliffh. Helped out big time!!!!!
Your are very welcome, glad I could help. Yeah, Honda could have done a better job on the bag latches....but they nailed it on the rest of the bike.

Cliff

OP
OP
hondafan007
The accumulated grease is likely the culprit. When you have the seat off clean the mechanisms with a spray on parts cleaner and then lubricate the mechanism lightly with a graphite lock lube. With the graphite lube the liquid "vehicle" evaporates leaving just the graphite residue which doesn't attract the muck that heavier greases do. I posted some other info in an earlier thread of yours.

Mike
Yes sir you guys were right...cleaned out hunk n got it working. Appreciate yall

OP
OP
hondafan007
Your are very welcome, glad I could help. Yeah, Honda could have done a better job on the bag latches....but they nailed it on the rest of the bike.

Cliff
Thanks again Cliff! On another note mine came with a sw motech luggage plate. I see you have a top case. Do you like it? My wife wants a backrest n i like the way a passenger backrest looks but then i noticed some top cases that have a pad for passenger. Guess it all depends if you want extra storage space. Wonder if I had a backrest could a top case still fit without removing backrest?
Greg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You're very welcome! BTW, the JB Weld you noticed on the latch hasp bosses was likely done by the PO because the plastic bosses were crumbling apart. I did the same thing to mine when I first noticed the degradation of the plastic as did most everybody else on the forum. The JB Weld fix bought me a few more years of service but entropy being what it is had the final say. I removed the hasps and the mechanisms and replaced them with combination latches.

Mike

Thanks again Cliff! On another note mine came with a sw motech luggage plate. I see you have a top case. Do you like it? My wife wants a backrest n i like the way a passenger backrest looks but then i noticed some top cases that have a pad for passenger. Guess it all depends if you want extra storage space. Wonder if I had a backrest could a top case still fit without removing backrest?
Greg
The topcase on my bike is a Givi that was installed by the previous owner. Must have been installed immediately before I purchased the bike because the mounting prevented the seat from being removed. I had to drill and move the mounting plate rearward about an inch and a half. Since my previous touring bike was a GoldWing, I considered a top case a must have. I've learned to pack much more efficiently. My wife can't ride with me anymore, at least not more than a few miles, due to sciatica. I still enjoy week long trips through the mountains and 200/250 mile day trips.

My only advice for a topcase with passenger pad is to make sure when you mount it, the seat can still be removed. Maybe someone here has mounted what you are looking for and can help you with your selection.

OP
OP
hondafan007
You're very welcome! BTW, the JB Weld you noticed on the latch hasp bosses was likely done by the PO because the plastic bosses were crumbling apart. I did the same thing to mine when I first noticed the degradation of the plastic as did most everybody else on the forum. The JB Weld fix bought me a few more years of service but entropy being what it is had the final say. I removed the hasps and the mechanisms and replaced them with combination latches.

Mike
Mike what are combination latches? Any pics? Ty
Greg

Top Bottom