Kisan Charge Guard

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I finally got around to mounting the Kisan Charge Guard that Katherine sold me. It's pretty neat. Volts, Amps, Temp degrees F, Temp in degrees C. Mounting was fairly easy.

elizilla

Phil, glad you were able to get it installed to your satisfaction! You'll have to let us know if it tells you anything interesting. :)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It told me the temperature was 72F, 21C this afternoon! Yeahhh! The voltage bounces around between 14.1-14.2 when riding. Turned off, my battery was at 12.9V right after riding, 12.5 after I finished hooking up the Chargeguard.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Very nice looking item. I like to have the temp available for view. I may add one at some point...

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
For wet cell batteries maximum charging voltage should be no higher than 14.4v or gassing will occur. The "resting charge" a couple of hours or so after switching off should be 12.6v. Though on the NT700 with the HISS drawing a little power, 12.5v will be about right. These figures assume an ambient temperature of 22C (the lower the temperature the lower the indicated voltages).

Note that if your battery is showing a voltage of 12v it is discharged and must be recharged before using it otherwise damage to the battery could occur.

Also note that the voltages for gel batteries are slightly lower for maximum charge voltage.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
For wet cell batteries maximum charging voltage should be no higher than 14.4v or gassing will occur.
John, is it normal for charging voltage (as the bike is running, not on a battery charger) to fluctuate by a few tenths? It mostly sits around at 14.1-14.2V, but sometimes spikes a bit higher. I've seen from between 13.9 to 14.9.

If I had been designing this thing, I would have had it average voltages over 30 seconds or so. It seems to be an instantaneous deal.

I'll probably keep it on temperature display most of the time. I did notice the icing warning this morning when the sensor temp got down to 35.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
An update on the Charge Guard: Coming home last night it started acting strange. It would shut off and then start up again, defaulting to the Voltage screen each time.

I got to looking and decided that the problem is the "shunt" which lets it read amperage. It's really jammed in between the batter and the frame rail. I'm pretty sure that one of the rubber cushions on the bottom of the seat pan is squeezing the tiny wires coming out of the shunt.

I'm going to call Kisan tomorrow morning and ask them which wire is the one that does that. Then I'm going to take the other three wires attached to the shunt and attach them directly to the gound post. I'll have voltage and temperature then and that's really all I wanted in the first place.

I'll repost when I see if that works.

Top Bottom