Lake Michigan circle tour

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Not Michigan, but I am hoping to do a Lake Superior loop in August.

MIke

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
A friend and I had such a ride planned for this year, but decided to go elsewhere. Neither one of us was interested in riding through Milwaukee, Chicago, Gary, Benton Harbor, Holland, or Muskegon. That is the whole south half of the lake. The north part of the lake is a good ride with lots of attractions along the way.

It is possible to cut off the south half by taking the ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon. I haven't taken that ferry yet, but I hear it is quite different from the SS Badger (the steam ship from Manitowoc to Ludington). The ride around Lake Michigan is totally different that the one around Lake Superior.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I did parts of Lake Michigan and Lake Superior in 2010. I had been at a Concours Owners Group National Rally in Tomah, WI, and when I left there, I rode to Oshkosh and spent a few hours at the Experimental Aircraft Association Museum and then rode to Manitowoc and caught the USS Badger which took four hours to get to Ludington. Then I rode up to Cadillac where four other NT owners and I met. Katherine (Elzilla on the Forum) is the only one who's still active here. The next morning we all rode up to near Sleeping Bear Dunes, where we met a couple who had an NT and an ST and they rode with us to the Dunes. Then we all rode up north, ate lunch, rode through Traverse City, and went north some more before the rest of the group split off to head back south to their homes.

I rode on up to Mackinaw City and spent the night before crossing the big bridge the next morning. Then I swung west into the Upper Peninsula before crossing to the north, stopping at Tahquanemon Falls State Park and riding up to Whitefish Point and the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum (that's near where the Edmund Fitzgerald sank and was a very interesting museum).

Then I rode in one of the few rainstorms I've ever been in where I got wet while wearing my Aerostitch back to Sault Ste Marie, where I spent another night. The next day, I went to the locks and watched a 40' sailboat lock through before crossing into Canada and following the Trans-Canadian Highway to Nipigon where it meets CA-11. I rode back into Ouimet Canyon Provincial Park and then down to Thunder Bay for the night. The next day I went Duluth to visit the Rider Wearhouse and see where my 'Stitch had been born before breaking away from the Lake and heading for St Paul, MN, to visit an aunt and uncle there.

It was a great trip.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I purchased my NT by taking the Lake Express Ferry across, the dealer (used NT) picked my up, and then taking the NT back. So a nice round trip, if you do I suggest you get the upgraded seats (I did not). The LEF supplies straps for rigging, if you do take the coal fired ferry you have to bring straps.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
if you do take the coal fired ferry you have to bring straps.
I'd forgotten that. I didn't have any and was glad that they had them for sale at the ticket office at about the same price I would have bought them for at parts store.

Is the Badger still running? I thought I'd seen something about the EPA forcing them to change fuel from coal to something less smoky and that there was uncertainty about whether the cost of changing fuel would be economically unfeasible.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Badger got a way to keep running, EPA had been trying to kill the ship for years. I think they keep the coal on the ship instead of dumping it as they use to. Badger takes twice as long, but it has more history ride then modern much faster catamaran. I hope to sometime take the Badger, but the Lake Express is fast and on my trip very smooth. A couple of years ago, I had a plan with my little boy (he is 40, 6' 2' 220lbs) to take the Lake Express across and then ride up the UP and back down. The lake was ruff so the canceled the day, I was very glade using Bookings they help me cancel the motels I planned. We then road to Anamosa, IA, and just so happen it was the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln Highway: and the Museum was a stamp stop for old cars. Lots of old cars stopping to get the stamp and we had a few nice conservations with the owners of the cars. If you've not been to this museum, plan a stop on a trip by.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'll put Anamosa on my list. Sometime I want to follow as much of the Lincoln Highway as I can.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The biggest issue, among many, with the EPA vs the SS Badger was the dumping of coal ash in the lake. I think I heard they have that resolved. The coal burner is still a coal burner with all the associated emission issues. But the ship is steam powered and silent when under way. It is much larger than the Lake Express. I've crossed on the Badger in pretty high seas with no problems. The Lake Express is rough in those kind of seas or just cancels. I'll choose the SS Badger any day, although I wouldn't mind trying the catamaran.

The social atmosphere on the SS Badger is great. There are always other riders to talk to during the crossing. Phil would be in his element on the Badger. My sister-in-law met her significant other (Gold Wing rider) on the Badger about 10 years ago and they are still together. I got stuck talking to some obnoxious drunk riding a very loud V-Rod. Justice was served when he fell over at about 5 mph while unloading at the dock.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700va
We also are thinking about leaving the northwest side of Chicago and heading north to one of the ferries and crossing to Michigan and then circling around to Wisconsin and back home, thanks for the info guys

Top Bottom