Landing Gear NT700

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I searched & did not find anything much.

I was wondering if anyone out there has a landing gear set up on an NT700.
A search on the web turned up some for Goldwings, NC700-750, BMW, HD & some others.
None of which will work on the NT.

I'm about to build a prototype & would love to get some input.
Automatic lowering & raising is out of the picture for now, as I'm a mechanical designer &
the automatic requires electronics linked to speed.
If any electronics types out there want to participate in the second generation , please feel free
to contact me.

Also if anybody can tell me how to post an mp4 file, it would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ted, as an old fat cripple I'll be watching your progress with interest.

As to inserting an mp4 file, your best bet might be to insert a link to that file. The link button is in the row above the typing area next to the text formatting buttons (or you can use Ctrl + K). You might also try the insert image button (or Cntrl + P).

OP
OP
ted007
Ted, as an old fat cripple I'll be watching your progress with interest.

As to inserting an mp4 file, your best bet might be to insert a link to that file. The link button is in the row above the typing area next to the text formatting buttons (or you can use Ctrl + K). You might also try the insert image button (or Cntrl + P).
Phil

Thanks for the interest. Parts are on order, hoping shipping is quick.
Check the top left corner of this entry, there is a small picture of the concept showing up & down positions.
If there is a way to send me your personal email , I can send you the mp4 file.

Ted007

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
An interesting idea! I'm looking forward to seeing how your project progresses. I'm assuming hydraulic actuation vs pneumatic?

Mike

OP
OP
ted007
An interesting idea! I'm looking forward to seeing how your project progresses. I'm assuming hydraulic actuation vs pneumatic?

Mike
Mike

Air & hydraulic both have the disadvantage of leaking, & are expensive relatively, requiring a compressor or pump.
I have chosen a linear actuator which is self locking when the power is off, & doesn't leak ( I hope)

Ted

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike

Air & hydraulic both have the disadvantage of leaking, & are expensive relatively, requiring a compressor or pump.
I have chosen a linear actuator which is self locking when the power is off, & doesn't leak ( I hope)

Ted
Good choice! I hadn't considered the LA.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ted, my email address is ptarman (one -- insert the numeral without the parentheses) at msn -dot-com.

As far as the automatic part goes, if you can find someone who is versed in designing with Arduino, it shouldn't be too difficult to cobble together a system that will read the speed directly off the speedometer wiring (I believe the speedometer accepts electric pulses rather than the old style spinning cable) and output a signal to a relay that would actuate/deactuate your linear actuators.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Mike

Ted
Those can be costly. I am just saying.

Are you planning on stepper or servo motors? The pricing is significantly different between them.

OP
OP
ted007
Those can be costly. I am just saying.

Are you planning on stepper or servo motors? The pricing is significantly different between them.
I don't really know the difference, but which ever is the lower cost.
I'm guessing servo , as they have internal limit switches to shut off at end of travel.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I don't really know the difference, but which ever is the lower cost.
I'm guessing servo , as they have internal limit switches to shut off at end of travel.
Servos are the most costly of the two. Variable frequency drives, full encoder feedback, and what else not.

I found this website, Electric Linear Actuators. The pricing is as little as $69 USD and up.

Good luck with this project. Be sure to provide up with some updates on your progress.

OP
OP
ted007
ACTUATORS arrived.
One cycles at reasonable speed, one cycled out only. So now the setback of return & replace, and/or changing supplier & consequently mounting . Will mean redesigning & remaking some components. The old saying still holds true:
" You can have it fast.
You can have it good.
You can have it cheap.
PICK TWO."

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
While at a rally, I saw a guy jump on his large BMW K LT bike and deploy the electric center stand. I was amazed. I understood why, just not how.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
The impressive part is that he was just back from the showers and was wearing flip flops!

OP
OP
ted007
The impressive part is that he was just back from the showers and was wearing flip flops!
UPDATE

Proof of concept is assembled ( minus the wheels ) & on the bike.
Test wiring powered by an old 5A battery charger.
Built, machined & welded all myself except for the aluminum mounts for the actuators.
100_3279.JPG

100_3280.JPG

The welds are ugly, but strong enough for testing when the wheels arrive.
There is a short video of the operation but I can't find how to upload it.
Seems the site won't take ".mov" files,
But I will email it to those who request it

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Hmmm... Looks like there could be some cornering interference issues due to the width of the apparatus. I can get my bike way over in a turn. I'm just saying.

Otherwise, it looks good from this angle.

Why don't you upload your video up to YouTube and post a link in your update?

OP
OP
ted007
Hmmm... Looks like there could be some cornering interference issues due to the width of the apparatus. I can get my bike way over in a turn. I'm just saying.

Otherwise, it looks good from this angle.

Why don't you upload your video up to YouTube and post a link in your update?
Bruce
Yes there is reduced cornering clearance, I don't carve corners any more, especially with someone in the "Queen seat ". But do need the help sometimes at a stop in certain conditions,
which is why I designed & built this.
The thing is not finalized & the "vertical" tubes will be cut shorter at the bottom, when I determine the right position. ( I won't do that without the wheels installed )
Theoretical corner lean comes out to ~39 deg. , at 45 most people crash..

BTW, when final , the thing will be removable in about 5 min. ; so you can ride her to "The Dragon " , remove it & ride the dragon without her, put it back & ride home.

Thanks for the u-tube suggestion but I don't want to go "viral " yet

Ted

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Well Done! The first important steps are learning what does not work.

Top Bottom