Landing Gear NT700

OP
OP
ted007
Thanks Phil.

BTW do you , or anyone, know what types of video files are allowed for upload.

Update III
It would seem that the electric actuators that I have, (the fastest I could find at reasonable cost) are marginal & not as confidence inspiring as I had hoped. They will let you down easy. What is needed is a steeper lead angle on the internal screw, but this would give slower operation.

I'm now moving to air cylinders , with a small compressor & storage tank(s). The ~3"dia x 10" tanks will fit nicely inside the fairing if the bottoms of the storage pockets are modified, how much is TBD.
A 3 way solenoid will give a locked position ( up and down) when used with a momentary pressure switch.

If any one out there is well versed in pneumatics, I would love some help/advice/insight.

100_3319.JPG

100_3316.JPG

The new cylinders will be 6" stroke vs the current 4" & if necessary I'll go to 8". This will get the wheels up more than 2" extra.

More to follow, right now waiting on parts.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Many years ago when I was an active engineer I did some work with pneumatic cylinders for actuation of devices on the equipment we manufactured. I'm an electrical engineer so my knowledge of pneumatics was virtually nil. Bimba (bimba.com) is a major manufacturer of air, vacuum, hydraulic and electrical actuators and they had a handy dandy book for engineers that assisted you in the selection of actuators for your application. Every engineer in my department had a copy of the book and it was our go to resource for design. I would contact your Bimba rep and see if that book or the modern equivalent is still available.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I don't know the forces involved but I would think you would need a large piston or high pressure to have the security you need. I haven't done any work like you are doing but I did work on control valve actuators for an electrical generating plant in a previous life.

Brad

OP
OP
ted007
Many years ago when I was an active engineer I did some work with pneumatic cylinders for actuation of devices on the equipment we manufactured. I'm an electrical engineer so my knowledge of pneumatics was virtually nil. Bimba (bimba.com) is a major manufacturer of air, vacuum, hydraulic and electrical actuators and they had a handy dandy book for engineers that assisted you in the selection of actuators for your application. Every engineer in my department had a copy of the book and it was our go to resource for design. I would contact your Bimba rep and see if that book or the modern equivalent is still available.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Mike

Thanks very much

Ted

OP
OP
ted007
I don't know the forces involved but I would think you would need a large piston or high pressure to have the security you need. I haven't done any work like you are doing but I did work on control valve actuators for an electrical generating plant in a previous life.

Brad

Brad
If my calcs are right.
110 psi gives 84 lbs force with a 25mm bore cylinder,
110 gives 137 lbs with a 32mm bore.
I just need to find a compressor that will recover fast enough, this is where a pneumatics guy comes in , or trial & error.

Ted

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Brad
If my calcs are right.
110 psi gives 84 lbs force with a 25mm bore cylinder,
110 gives 137 lbs with a 32mm bore.
I just need to find a compressor that will recover fast enough, this is where a pneumatics guy comes in , or trial & error.

Tedtge
The volume of air needed for a duty cycle can be calculated using the bore and stroke of the cylinder. What needs to be determined first is whether the storage tanks that you can fit on the bike have enough capacity to deliver the CFM at the desired PSI. Also the air solenoid also has to be able to deliver the required air flow/pressure when commanded. Once the command is sent and the valve opens a pressure drop will occur and it must be ascertained that the pressure drop will never drop below the design pressure needed. Finally, the compressor must be sized to recover the proper pressure to the tank before the next duty cycle is needed. I can envision that in heavy traffic, this could be a difficult problem to overcome.

Mike

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I’ve had shoulder replacement surgery and I can say do the rehabilitation exercises religiously. That will assure you get maximum range of motion. Every one is different, from my 10 year ago memory I recall it took 3 months for full recovery and 6 to 9 months before I did not even think about the shoulder when going through my day. I got very good range of motion out of my replacement. My physical therapist attributed that to doing th at home exercises without fail.

OP
OP
ted007
The Landing gear project got as far as 25mm dia, 150mm stroke air cylinders. Recently found out my wife can't get on the bike with her hip.
Hoping for better out come with the 2014 CTX700, after she has some physio.
So my NT has been sold, delivered today.
The system was removed & will be boxed up.
I would be happy to help anyone who would like to take up the quest (we were so close ).

Thanks for all the help & support.
There is a cell phone mp4 video of the air system cycling available, it is unfortunately 90deg out of the correct orientation.
I will send it to anyone who provides an email address.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Thanks for the update Ted. Sorry your project didn't materialize as you had hoped. Good luck with the CTX and God speed for your wife to recover quickly. Just because you don't have the NT any longer doesn't mean that you can't hang around the forum any more. Stay in touch.

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I’ve had shoulder replacement surgery and I can say do the rehabilitation exercises religiously. That will assure you get maximum range of motion. Every one is different, from my 10 year ago memory I recall it took 3 months for full recovery and 6 to 9 months before I did not even think about the shoulder when going through my day. I got very good range of motion out of my replacement. My physical therapist attributed that to doing th at home exercises without fail.
Few do what you (and I) did but you are 100 percent right. Shoulders are hard and many never completely recover, but in all my medical troubles, home PT CAN work and do wonders. Is it boring? Does it supp? Yes...its a PITA...but that is why I have a functioning back today. and if I keep it up, tomorrow.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks for the update Ted. Sorry your project didn't materialize as you had hoped. Good luck with the CTX and God speed for your wife to recover quickly. Just because you don't have the NT any longer doesn't mean that you can't hang around the forum any more. Stay in touch.

Mike
My brother electron chaser is right as usual. Please stay around....

Top Bottom