Large Deauville Pannier Lids still available

Bike
NT700v, MG v85tt, KTM 690
After scouring the web I ordered these from a European website and had to wait almost 80 days for them to be manufactured? / shipped.
Finally came today factory color matched and brand new. Took about 45 minutes to replace the set working at a careful pace. So she's a looking might portly... I'll get used to it. The lids were well made and fit perfectly. I'm a happy camper.

Purchased from CMSnl.com

20210301_213110[1].jpg20210301_202902[1].jpg20210301_213257[1].jpg

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I only used the big lids when I went on trips. For my everyday city commuting I used the stock lids due to the smaller width they offered.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I only used the big lids when I went on trips. For my everyday city commuting I used the stock lids due to the smaller width they offered.
It's not like they're wider than the bars, though. So if the bars fit you'll be in the clear. I lane split from LA to San Diego during rush hour back in 2019 without issue with big lids installed.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
These lids should have come stock. I'm not sure why Honda even bothered with the skinny lids. They should have been the accessory lids if made at all.
I am convinced it was a marketing decision. Any focus group would have laughed at the tiny lids.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
What did you pay for yours? When I got mine circa 2011-12, they were $550 IIRC delivered from Honda of Bournemouth, UK. I had ideas of changing out the lids for touring, but once on, I could haul lots more beer and un necessasary groceries with them. Loved them. BTW, everyone else here knows this story but I pondered an NT for two years till I found this forum and even learned there was a way to get big lids, let alone that they existed at all. No big lids, no NT.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I bought my first set of big lids, I paid about $600 from Honda of Bournemouth. I bought another set from the guy who bought Chuck Henderson's NT when he decided to sell the Chuck's old NT with the stock lids. Seems like I paid him $150 for those. They were still on my old bike when I traded it for Horse.

I just looked at davidsilverspares.com, the US half of David Silver Spares grey import operation. They buy bikes in the US, ship them to the UK, then ship new old stock parts back to the US in the empty shipping containers. What they have in hand varies quite a lot, but they're always worth checking. Today they've got two colors of big lids in stock: 1) Pearl Concours Black for $335, and 2) Sasha White for $350. The last time I bought lids from them (I think I've bought 4 sets of big lids in the last 11 years), they only charged $17 shipping. The shipping from Honda of Bournemouth had been over $100.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I kept my little lids for that same reason. But after about four years, I sold them last fall.

OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
What did you pay for yours? When I got mine circa 2011-12, they were $550 IIRC delivered from Honda of Bournemouth, UK. I had ideas of changing out the lids for touring, but once on, I could haul lots more beer and un necessasary groceries with them. Loved them. BTW, everyone else here knows this story but I pondered an NT for two years till I found this forum and even learned there was a way to get big lids, let alone that they existed at all. No big lids, no NT.
The cost was $275 euros plus $42 euros shipped to Los Angeles area.

OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
They do look portly - at first.

But, in my garage, at the time...right next to it, I had a Versys with hard cases on it. I could compare. Even with the big lids, it was only just as wide, and with more space than the (admittedly custom-made) cases on the Versys.

I saved my little lids, at first, not sure if I'd want to go back to them. Now, I'm saving them only in event of an accident or drop.
Yes I saw that other parts of the bike are wider so Im thinking after a while I won't notice the difference. But for now I say it certainly looks the business : )

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Form versus function.

I had mine on all last season. You'll never notice them unless you're packing the garage tight...even then, they're still narrower than the mirrors. In terms of riding, they're the same. Possibly with the added space you could overload the side cases easier, but that's another issue.

I've not yet packed mine for a long trip - I suspect that will happen this summer - but a good rule of thumb is, heavy stuff low; but to fill up the space, pack with light, fluffy stuff. You can get odd combinations, such as dirty laundry in with the tools...but that's another subject...
I got this....
pack3small.jpg

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
After scouring the web I ordered these from a European website and had to wait almost 80 days for them to be manufactured? / shipped.
Finally came today factory color matched and brand new. Took about 45 minutes to replace the set working at a careful pace. So she's a looking might portly... I'll get used to it. The lids were well made and fit perfectly. I'm a happy camper.

Purchased from CMSnl.com

20210301_213110[1].jpg20210301_202902[1].jpg20210301_213257[1].jpg
I'm wondering if you want to sell the small left side lid? The DPO of my bike slid it through an intersection the day before I bought it and while touch up paint masks it well, I'd like to get an unscathed one.

Moto-Kafe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Got an email from DavidSilver.com today saying the expanded trunk lids (Black/White/Red) are longer available from their suppliers.....does that CSM outfit still show (i.e. sell) them?? I found it hard navigating thru their website..........:rolleyes:

NOTE: the lids show up on the DavidSilver Site, but say "out of stock" .......and to email them to find out when they might have some in. That's when I was told the bad news........there are no more to be had from THEIR Suppliers.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I couldn't find the big lids on their website either. Of course, that's no big deal since I already have big lids on Horse.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Got an email from DavidSilver.com today saying the expanded trunk lids (Black/White/Red) are longer available from their suppliers.....does that CSM outfit still show (i.e. sell) them?? I found it hard navigating thru their website..........:rolleyes:

NOTE: the lids show up on the DavidSilver Site, but say "out of stock" .......and to email them to find out when they might have some in. That's when I was told the bad news........there are no more to be had from THEIR Suppliers.
Their supplier is Honda. So I guess unless you can find a dealer with stock, you are SOL.

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V
I was wondering when this was going to happen. Discontinued model reaching 10 years off dealer floors, I'm actually kind of surprised an accessory availability lasted this long. When David Silver had these regularly, you could also find international sellers on eBay listing them. I ran a quick couple searches and couldn't find anything.

On the bright side though, we are in 2021 where 3D scanning and printing parts is a thing. A plastic lid wouldn't be a complicated thing to do. Just would need access to a big enough printer. If somebody needed a replacement bad enough and was willing to pay they could probably have a set made.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Almost two years ago I sent a dinged up pair of big lids to a guy on the Forum and he thought he could manufacture replacements. I've heard back from him once and he was still working on it. His weren't going to be exact duplicates, but he thought he could make them be interchangeable. I haven't heard anything from him in a looong time and naturally I can't remember his name. When I've got several hours to go through all my PMs, maybe I can track him down.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I'm sure there's commerical services that can do it, I just haven't had the need to look into such a thing. If you've ever watched Jay Leno's Garage, especially the restoration blogs you'll see he has commercial equipment in house. He's scanned old valve covers, had them printed in plastic and sent out for casting. Printed his own airboxes. Having someone scan and print a pannier lid shouldn't be a challenge other than cost.

Top Bottom