Large Pannier Lids

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
After seeing a few of the large lids at the WV gathering and hearing positive reviews I decided to buy a pair. I found the David Silvers Spares site user friendly. I was concerned about currency conversion and across seas shipping. There was none of that. They had my lids in stock at their Pennsylvania warehouse. The cost was $325 plus $19 shipping (to Jacksonville, FL.) They arrived well packaged in 3 days. The install was easy. These are OEM parts. As a precaution I filled the area around the male portion of the latch with plastaid to reinforce where the two screws connect the metal latch to the plastic.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I think you will like the bigger lids and they don't hurt much of anything in my opinion. Some say they make the bike look fat. I'm not much concerned with that.
Good to reinforce the latch tower area before any issues arise.

Brad

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You can always call your NT Kim Kardashian..... I'm just sayin'.....

:rofl1:

Mike

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Thanks for the belly laugh Mikesim. I never reinforced my "Big Lids" and they are still going strong. Besteem liners and you have a traveling Machine.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Love the large lids, I live a little over an hour from the Hanover, Pa. warehouse location. So, I drove there and picked up the new lids. An awesome place with an unlimited amount of parts as well as a basement full of used Japanese bikes. David Silver buys older bikes in any condition and sells them at auctions. I was taken on a tour while waiting for my lids.

Two things about the lids, both large and small. First of all, I eliminated the latching systems and installed Southco locking draw latches on the outside. Secondly, I make hooks out of S hoods and attached to some of the inter-panel mounting screws and thread Arno straps through them. After I put the Besteem liners in, I cinch the straps across the liners to keep all pressure from pushing against the lids while riding. BB

IMG_2650.jpg

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Bearbait, would you mind posting some pictures of how you did the drawlatch installation and the hook installation?

Bike
2010 NT700V
Bearbait, would you mind posting some pictures of how you did the drawlatch installation and the hook installation?
I did the mod three years ago and don’t have any photos of the process. I simpy took measurements of the latch, then stretched the distance between the latch and hook by 3/16”. Then I made a paper template from the measurements to layout the holes. I used aluminum pop rivits with pieces of stainless steel as backers for the rivits so I didn’t crack the plastic. BB

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Did you remove the inner pannier sections to do the riveting?

Bike
2010 NT700V
Did you remove the inner pannier sections to do the riveting?
I did not remove the inner sections, I was able to slide my fingers in from under the seat. it's tight, but doable. As far as the Southco latches, I contacted the seller on eBay to insure the latches were keyed alike.

I feel the most important mod is installing straps to keep the load inside the pannier from pushing against the lids. BB

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I did not remove the inner sections, I was able to slide my fingers in from under the seat. it's tight, but doable. As far as the Southco latches, I contacted the seller on eBay to insure the latches were keyed alike.

I feel the most important mod is installing straps to keep the load inside the pannier from pushing against the lids. BB
Good news for us Phil if you can fit your fingers in. Bearbait, how far from the edge of the inner section were your mounting holes? With the Franzen combo latches, the holes will need to be very close to the edge.

Mike

Top Bottom