Latches

Plarki12001

Hello,

I finally have my own latch problem to report. I think I may have overstuffed the case and when I went to close the cases after taking my items out this morning the rear left latch seems to not have gone back into place. Can someone direct me to how I can fix this in the parking lot? I looked at the other threads but did not see any pictures or a very good description on moving the latche back so it hooks the case.

thanks,

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Just for clarification:
Are the bags stuck shut (they are closed and you can't get them opened) or will they not lock shut (they are open but will not latch sufficiently to all you to remove the key)?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Hope it's not too late to help.

If the case is open (I assume) simple pry the latch to the open position with a screwdriver while holding the release lever in the "open" position.

I hope you have it solved already.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Hope it's not too late to help.

If the case is open (I assume) simple pry the latch to the open position with a screwdriver while holding the release lever in the "open" position.

I hope you have it solved already.
Agree. Usually the catch just goes back shut. It should be easy to do also, do not pry too hard. If you hold the latch button, you will see the catch pull back.
I have found that closing the lid carefully has eliminated my problems with the latch. A friend tried to slam the lid closed before I could catch them and then had to do this same fix to get the catch back open. Once open I've had no problems, so far. Hope these reports help you.

DJ

Bike
1999 Kawasaki Concours,
So for those of us who are still on the fence regarding purchasing an NT, do you guys and gals think this is enough of a problem to cause someone not to buy this bike. A touring bike with unusable panniers is kind of useless. Or is it not that big a deal? Opinions?
Thanks

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
So for those of us who are still on the fence regarding purchasing an NT, do you guys and gals think this is enough of a problem to cause someone not to buy this bike. A touring bike with unusable panniers is kind of useless. Or is it not that big a deal? Opinions?
Thanks
Since I quit over stuffing the panniers (started using inner bags) and close them gently (pushing them till I hear the click) I have not had a problem in nearly a year. Just saying. Love my NT...

DJ

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Since I quit over stuffing the panniers (started using inner bags) and close them gently (pushing them till I hear the click) I have not had a problem in nearly a year. Just saying. Love my NT...

DJ
I agree with this.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
There is still no middleweight bike with integral bags and final drive so the Deauville is still the best choice.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro

DJ
After reading all the posts on this problem I have also purchased inner bags and adopted this procedure and I am not anticipating any problems.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
No problems here after the clean and silicone the cables procedure. Open and close them gently and keep the latches and cables lubricated and do not over stuff and they work fine. I did fill the voids around the lid latch screw hole with a paste style epoxy to beef up that weak looking latch mount area.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
Same as others, after reading about the latch problems on this forum, I cleaned out the factory heavy grease and lubed the mechanism with silicone spray, got the liners from MCL, and close them gently. They were a little bit stiff when I first got the bike with 2200 miles on it, but no problems lately. Just be very gentle with them.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
No problems after nearly a year of ownership. If you take pressure off of the latch by gently pressing in on the lids, the release mechanism works quite easily. This is especially good for the left bag since it faces down when on the side stand and items can press outwardly on the lid.

Gently closing the lids is also a good practice. Similar issues have been had by GL1800 owners which uses similar latchings. Using the same technique (releasing pressure on the latching mechanism) looks to solve any latching issues.

This is definitely not a reason to avoid the NT. The bags work just fine.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Rob -Yes +1 on gently pushing the lid to relieve pressure on the latch. I have also put a little plumbers grease on the inside or the lid latch with a q-tip and that makes it really open and close easy.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have had my 2010 for 2-1/2 years. I ride it everyday as a commuter. I calculate that I have opened and closed the left lid over 4,000 times with no issues. Perhaps my day will come but so far so good.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Had my bike since Nov. 2010 and have had no problems since I gave the latches the Silicone treatment. I also use inner bags.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, same here with the stock lids. I have even overstuffed them by quite a bit and they stood up to my abuse. Close by pressing them shut (not slamming) and there isn't a problem.

PS Honda rates each site at only 11lb capacity. Not bad for typical things like clothes, computer, etc.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Yep, same here with the stock lids. I have even overstuffed them by quite a bit and they stood up to my abuse. Close by pressing them shut (not slamming) and there isn't a problem.

PS Honda rates each site at only 11lb capacity. Not bad for typical things like clothes, computer, etc.

Close by pressing them shut (not slamming) and there isn't a problem. #1 on this.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I confess. I've been very bad. I slammed mine. That's why they're broken.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
HMMMMM, I think there may be more to this than Phil is stating here,:rolleyes1:g

Top Bottom