Leaving for Texas

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
After listening to the weather (rain tonight, changing to snow, 2-4" accumulation overnight), even though I know the roads are unlikely to get icy or slushy because of the warm weather we've been having, I've decided to head for Fort Worth tonight. I had been planning on riding to Quanah, TX, tomorrow and camping at the Copper Breaks State Park, but don't know what I'll do now. Still don't have to be in Ft Worth till Thursday afternoon, but there's no pressure on me to get there quickly now.

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
Phil, be careful. We all want to hear about your retirement trips.
Wanda P.

The NWS has given the current storm approaching the name Achilles and expect it to be historic. Be careful.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The NWS has given the current storm approaching the name Achilles
Really? They were talking about rain changing to snow in Fort Morgan in the morning, but it didn't sound like it would be cold enough to stick to the roads. But I decided I'd rather ride in warmer moisture. It does sound like I'll hit rain and cool weather all the way to DFW. So I may not camp out tomorrow night either.

Tonight I'm in Springfield, CO. I got away from the house at about 2:45, rode 290 miles and arrived here at 8:00, averaging 55mph with a stop for coffee and some imitation lunch in Limon, a semi-emergency stop in La Junta, then a gas stop there.

The semi-emergency happened when I guy I passed who was pulling a stock trailer came up beside me and started pointing to the back of the bike. I felt to my right and the right pannier was open. Does anybody else remember somebody back in the early days of the Forum who always talked about how stuff fell out of side-opening bags? My right pannier has my tools, my winter gloves, my Geeza bike cover, and my tire repair stuff. Everything was still there when I stopped. I have no idea how long it had been open.

The weather was cool at the start, 53F, warming up to about 57 at Limon and then starting to drop. I stopped and put on my heated jacket (never turned it on) and, naturally, it started to get warmer. It was 77F by the time I got to La Junta, and down to 69F by the time I got here.

I'm in a Mom & Pop motel that is immaculate. Vladimir, the owner, told me that the Longhorn Steakhouse was still open, even if their lighted sign wasn't lit. I went there and had what could turn out to be the best meal of the whole trip. The salad wasn't anything extra, but the steak and shrimp were outstanding. I'll get breakfast there in the morning before I head on south.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Have a safe and fun trip. Be careful of the weather, critters, and crazies. make sure you dodge the tornados and when going through Wichita Falls, TX, say hello and a little pray for it, for me. Enjoy you trip to Texas.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I recall the "check your panniers before leaving" posts and do this as part of my ride checklist. Safe travels Phil.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
yeah that storm - and i have to go to abilene, ks tomorrow for several days and it looks to be in the middle of storm achilles. laughed when i checked the weather there and saw snow and the storm. my new england winter just won't end no matter where i go :p well, i jest, winter finally did end here.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
To recapitulate (I've always wanted to use that word), I'm on my way to Ft Worth to do my niece's wedding on Saturday. I'd intended to ride from home (Fort Morgan, CO) to Copper Breaks State Park, south of Quanah, TX, today and camp out. But northern Colorado is having a major snow event (although I don't think the roads I would have ridden were closed) and I decided to leave yesterday. I rode 290 miles to Springfield after leaving home at 3, then woke up this morning to find that the cold had reached SE Colorado. It was 29F and mist was freezing on my Geeza cover.

I grabbed breakfast at the Longhorn Steakhouse (good, but not as good as the steak and shrimp dinner last night), packed up and headed south. it was never rain, but it was fairly heavy mist. It just stayed cold, creeping up to 30 as I went through Boise City, OK. (Since it was never freezing on the screen, the temperature was probably a little higher than my thermometer was showing). By the time I got to Stratford, TX, and stopped for gas, it was allegedly 40F and the mist had stopped at the Texas line.

Just as I got back on the bike, a HD rider came out of the restaurant and asked which direction I was going. I told him south and it turned out he was too. He'd left Greeley (50 mi WNW of Fort Morgan) about 45 minutes after I left home. He'd taken 287 from Limon and had stopped at Eads. He'd been in the mist all the way to the Texas border like I had. He was wearing leathers with chaps, no electrics, and was freezing. He was on his way to Key West.

I finally got cold, even with the electric jacket and stopped on the eastern side of Amarillo and had some McD's coffee. About 3:30, between Memphis (TX) and Childress, the sun came out and the temperature went from 55 to 70 in a half hour. But the wind was still blasting away, 35-45 from the left. When I got to Quanah, I thought about camping, but the forecast says rain will start at 2-3 AM and I decided, I' splurge and spend another night in a motel. So, here I am.

I only did 356 miles today, but with the wind, it felt like more. I don't feel too wimpy about it, either. I'm about to be a retired person, and I can set my own schedule. So, there!

Well the forecast for far southeast Colorado tonight is snow, wind, and cold with a freezw warning but what adventures don't have their little challenges. Stay safe. Should be quite a tailwind.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Ref: Setting your own schedule.....Good for you! You are gonna LOVE retirement....I cant remember a single time in over 40 years when I said, "Darn, I wished I would have camped out in the cold and rain and snow instead of gone to a motel...."
You go, Phil. Safe journey.

jackgermain

Good luck to you. Not sure I would even take the trip in a car let alone on a motorcycle. My hat is off to you sir !!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
This morning it's 41F and raining lightly in Vernon, TX. And the wind is 22, gusting to 32. Hot-diggity. I'm gonna' go eat breakfast at Mickey D's and head toward Irving at 11, when I've got to check out.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
By the time I left Vernon at a bit after 11, the temperature (according to my bike-mounted thermometer was down to 35. The wind had picked up a bit, but by the time I got to Rhome, TX, and stopped for gas, I was cold. I ate lunch, drank a couple of cups of coffee, bought gas, and just as I pulled out onto the highway, it started raining lightly. That didn't last tool long and just as I passed Texas Motor Speedway, the temp made it to 40F. Then a mile from my hotel, it rained harder than it has the whole trip. But just as I turned into the Wyndham Hotel, it stopped.

177 more miles today; 811 total. My niece's fianc?e's grandfather died this morning so I won't get to meet with them for their pre-marital counseling until tomorrow morning.

Later!

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Not sure about meeting up on Sunday
Gonna see about borrowing a bike...
I guess I can always drive the old Buick over on Sunday
Starting to jones a little. Haven't ridden in almost two weeks
Sorry about missing your call today...not supposed to talk on my phone at work

Top Bottom