LED Bulb Replacements?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'm contemplating replacing my incandescent turn signal and brake lamp bulbs with LED's. Does anyone know if the turn signal flasher on the NT is a thermal or electronic device. If it is thermal then the LED's will not impose enough of a load to cycle the flasher, hence my question.

Many Thanks!

Mike

Re: Does anyone know.....?

Yeah, but I'm kinda anal about stuff like that and it would drive me crazy with one non LED in the circuit. I can probably cobble together a ballast resistor of some sort to fool the flasher into action. Thanks for the reply tho'

Mike

Yeah, I read that. The ones I'm looking at are cylindrical and have led's facing rearward and to the sides. I'm hoping that the side mounted led's will allow the light to impinge on the reflector giving me the brightness I desire.... we shall see... thanks for the input.

Mike

I think someone else mentioned they had installed an LED brake light. They removed it because another rider told them it was barely visible. Most of the light on the stock bulb comes from the reflector behind it. LED's don't really take advantage of the reflector, since they have a fairly narrow area of illumination in the direction away from the reflector.

Paul,
That was me. LED Brake lights are no way to go. Sylvania Silverstar makes 1157 bulbs for tail/brake lights that are really bright. They also make the single filament bulbs for the turn signals--although I think our turn signals are plenty bright.

Does anyone know if the turn signal flasher on the NT is a thermal or electronic device.

Based on my experience replacing the stock flasher and installing the Kisan SM-3R Turn Signal Canceller I think the flasher is electronic... The SM-3R adds "Parade" mode flashers and 4-Way Emergency flashers and a Brake Input that would be tricky to do with a thermal flasher involved...

Looking at the flasher it is potted with an epoxy matierial so it is very likely electronic. I would pull one bulb and verify it still functions properly. If it does the lesser load from the LEDs should not be an issue.

Brad

Based on my experience replacing the stock flasher and installing the Kisan SM-3R Turn Signal Canceller I think the flasher is electronic... The SM-3R adds "Parade" mode flashers and 4-Way Emergency flashers and a Brake Input that would be tricky to do with a thermal flasher involved...

Wayne:

Thanks for the reply, but in looking at your link to the Kisan thread, I'm even more confused. On my bike, the front running lamps are on all the time the bike is running but flash brighter when the turn signal is activated which I assumed was accomplished using a dual filament bulb ala 1157. In looking at my service manual schematic however, the diagram indicates that the front bulbs are a single filament. This is either an error in the manual or Honda is using a reduced voltage to the single filament bulb and then pulsing it with a full 12V when the turn signal is activated. Do you know which it is?

Mike

Mike,

The front turn signals are definitely single filament bulbs. On my NT there is not a Turn Signal Based "Running Light" feature from Honda, the Turn Signals are not lit at all unless the Turn Signal is blinking. I'll need to find my original flasher to confirm that.... I do have the "Position Light" in the Headlight assembly lit if you want to call it a "Running Light...:D

The "Running Light" feature of the Kisan causes the dash turn signal indicators to stay lit all the time due to the single filament wiring setup of the Turn Signals... The Turn Signal lights did not flash any brighter than the "Running Light" when the turn signal was activated, they just went on and off at the same intensity... For that reason I do not believe Honda is using a low voltage Running Light and a higher voltage for the Turn Signal... I ended up turning off that feature as it was too visually over powering having the bright Green lights on all the time...

Mike,

The front turn signals are definitely single filament bulbs. On my NT there is not a Turn Signal Based "Running Light" feature from Honda, the Turn Signals are not lit at all unless the Turn Signal is blinking. I'll need to find my original flasher to confirm that.... I do have the "Position Light" in the Headlight assembly lit if you want to call it a "Running Light...:D

Hmmmmm? If my remembery is correct, Scoot's turn signal lights are on whenever the ignition is on and flash brighter when the turn signal is activated. I will check this out later today and report back. P'raps Honda made a running production change and didn't bother to upgrade the schematic.

Mike

I'll need to find my original flasher to confirm that....

Well after digging through several boxes of Honkawyamazuki miscellaneous parts I found my original flasher unit and reinstalled it to test. And I do have "Running Lights" with the original OEM flasher installed....failing memories will get you ever time...:doh1: :redface: But they do not appear to be any brighter, in my darkened garage, when flashing than when solid Running Lights. It seems as if the OEM flasher is only interrupting the voltage to the bulb. The only way to positively confirm that assumption is with a Volt Meter on the light socket...

Wayne:

Mine "appear" to be brighter but I could be mistaken. Honda could be using a pulse width modulation scheme to dim the bulbs when used as running lites and using a full on voltage for the turn signals. I will have to study the schematic more to see if I can find any gizmos that are acting as a PWM device. The PWM scheme while elegant seems to me to be much more complicated than a dual filament bulb.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom