LED Driving Lights????

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Needed opinions on some good motorcycle driving lights, they for the most part will be for day light conspicuously use , I hardy ever ride at night but do on some long trips in fall and spring when it gets dark early.
Now I don't know much about LED lighting so that be the main reason I would need some help picking out a good set my last set I bought was about 15 years ago the old 55 watt Halogen lamps. ran two 4" 55w on my CBR. What LED wattage do I look for to equal the 55 Halogens or better it, I'm looking at some 25 watt LED's around 3" diameter, what do you think will work for me? Here's what I'm looking at for starters. Would this maybe be a good brand? https://www.amazon.com/Samlight-Driving-Motorcycle-Wrangler-Tractor/dp/B07H3VBF5Z?

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Daryl, I had the original Denali on Dudley for 135K miles. I mounted them on the fender, going for the biggest triangle of lights when viewed from the front. There are lots of more powerful lights available now (look at Clearwater's range), but I've been happy with the Denalis. Horse has what look like smaller Denali LEDs but they may be just as bright. These are mounted on a plate Frosty installed just below the front edge of the main cowling. I haven't ridden with them yet so I can't offer an opinion. The ones you are looking at look pretty good.

Justin Phillipson, the Rally Master for the How the West Was Won Rally (HW3) which I attempted to ride in '18 and was on the staff for in '19 was marketing LED lights at www.ledrider.com. His X-30 looked good to me, but it's not in stock. He still shows these (https://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=CIL-OP110) and they look good, too, especially with the Skene controller option he sells. But the controller and the Cyclops lights add up to over $350. Just a tad more than the ones you're looking at on Amazon.

The only trouble I can see with ordering some of those from Amazon is that you don't really know what you're getting. If you order Denalis, Clearwaters, or what Justin's selling you know you're getting something that's been tested and approved of by a bunch of riders.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I mounted a similar set of those lights on the front fender side mount on the 2015 BMW F800GT for visibility. As I remember, I also bought a wiring harness for under $12 that included a switch. I modified it and wired them thru the fuzeblock.

I want these lights on to be seen. I live so far north and ride in the Summer mainly. For those reasons and critters, I rarely ever ride after dark.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I had the denali 2 and liked them. They are 10 watt each. I mounted mine under the tip over covers.

Brad

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Daryl, I had the original Denali on Dudley for 135K miles. I mounted them on the fender, going for the biggest triangle of lights when viewed from the front. There are lots of more powerful lights available now (look at Clearwater's range), but I've been happy with the Denalis. Horse has what look like smaller Denali LEDs but they may be just as bright. These are mounted on a plate Frosty installed just below the front edge of the main cowling. I haven't ridden with them yet so I can't offer an opinion. The ones you are looking at look pretty good.

Justin Phillipson, the Rally Master for the How the West Was Won Rally (HW3) which I attempted to ride in '18 and was on the staff for in '19 was marketing LED lights at www.ledrider.com. His X-30 looked good to me, but it's not in stock. He still shows these (https://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=CIL-OP110) and they look good, too, especially with the Skene controller option he sells. But the controller and the Cyclops lights add up to over $350. Just a tad more than the ones you're looking at on Amazon.

The only trouble I can see with ordering some of those from Amazon is that you don't really know what you're getting. If you order Denalis, Clearwaters, or what Justin's selling you know you're getting something that's been tested and approved of by a bunch of riders.
Thanks Phil for your input, you may have something about ordering of Amazon like the lights I showed here and the ones you mentioned are the highest of quality but for deep pockets. I think I may go somewhere in the middle of the road sort ah speak I'm now looking at some Hella Value Fit line lights I can get two of theses for around $70 and I can get a wiring kit from Hella to.https://www.carid.com/hella/valuefit-3-5-18w-round-spot-beam-led-light-mpn-357201001.html

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I have some cheap Chinese LED driving lights and they work really well. They cost me about $30 as I recall. They've lasted 7 years so very pleased with them. At night they augment the terrible low beam headlight and add enough light to be able to use the bike safely at night.

I have mounted them under the tip over wings.

Top Bottom