LED position light

Edd

Bike
2010 Red NT700v
Trying to attach pic

Swapped out the "pilot light" with a amber/yellow LED. (ANTLINE Super Bright 194 168 2825 W5W T10 175 9-SMD).

I wanted a bi-color white/yellow effect for a more distinctive look to oncoming traffic.

Nice, snug fit into the rubber socket. Also is slim enough to fit through the headlamp assembly hole with no problems.

Last edited:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
That may cause you problems with your local law enforcement types... looks cool.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
It is a leftover from the Europe spec bikes I believe.
Kind of strange that Honda gave us the position light but removed other features. You'd probably have to be in the meetings where stuff like that is decided to know why.
Probably easier/cheaper to leave it and not need it than redesign the removal of the light.

Brad

OP
OP
Edd

Edd

Bike
2010 Red NT700v
You know, many years ago I had a bike that had a "pilot light" inside the headlamp housing. The bike had a single incandescent headlight bulb.

If my old brain recalls correctly, the "pilot lamp" was on the top and was positioned back farther than the Nt700.
I recall reading that it was wired on a separate circuit and was basically a backup light in the event the headlamp bulb went out....you'd have enough light to pull over and be seen by oncoming traffic.

The bike also had the taillamp on parking feature, but the "pilot light" didn't illuminate when the parking feature was on.
For what it's worth...

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Be advised that the bottom light reflector is the High Beam. When is on it will wash out the positioning light and it won't be noticeable.

I went with a white LED in the 5000K range on my bike.

In some countries it is required that you have "parking" lights turned on if you are parked along the street after dark. On bikes that are sold in that country the ignition switch has a position that turns on the dim tail light bulb and the "pilot" light in the headlight. They use small power lights in an effort to keep the battery alive as long as possible. When these bikes are sold in the US, the ignition switch does not always have the switches in place to operate the parking lights.

I once owned a 1970 Porsche that was sold in Germany and then brought over to the US. The turn signals worked normal when the car was running - but when the ignition switch was off the turn signal lever would illuminate a small light in the front turn signal and a light in the rear turn signal - you would move the turn signal lever to whichever side was parked toward the street. When I compared the same US spec car - the turn signal lever did not work the same way, and the front turn signal housing on the US car did not have the extra bulb that the UK spec car did.

So I believe the little bulb in the NT700 housing is a "parking light" for use in those countries that require it....and the US does not require it.

OP
OP
Edd

Edd

Bike
2010 Red NT700v
Be advised that the bottom light reflector is the High Beam. When is on it will wash out the positioning light and it won't be noticeable.

I went with a white LED in the 5000K range on my bike.
Quite right. I'm in a metro area most of the time and hardly use the high beam lamp. I installed this one primarily for the color change.

Top Bottom