Left lid problem

Deleted member 540

I hate to beat dead horse but here goes. Most of this has been covered in the thread "OEM Pannier Lids - Lesson Learned '. My left side cover would not shut while in a parking lot so I used a strap to keep it closed till I got home. After looking at it I took off the seat and pushed on the rod under the seat to reset the latch. Problem solved.
I've had some difficulty with that side in the past and I decided to disable the seat latch so I can access under it in case the lid does not want to open.
Has anyone else disabled the seat latch? And are you seeing any problems with seat with the latch being disabled? I am going on a ride this weekend and would like to access under the seat if need be. Thanks,
P.S. I am in the process of re-lubing and filing the rough edges of the latches.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Rick, That's good info. My latches work much better since I cleaned off all the grease and lubed everything with NAPA Silicone Spray. I know Wal Mart is less expensive but it is a 50 mile round trip to the nearest one.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had my seat unlatched (unintentionally) a couple of times and, as Rick points out, it's pretty easy to slide back. If you do that on a hot day, you'll notice a bunch of heat that will get on your thighs and "crotchal" area. And it would be real easy to lose the seat if you didn't have it weighted.

I like for the seats on my bike to be a solid part of the whole machine.

johnha

Hey Rick,
Since you said that the grease collected a lot of spooge, did you see any way that you could possibly seal the area?

Top Bottom