Left lid stuck; anyone with intructions about how to get it open?

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
There are lots of discussions about lids that won't close, but I have the opposite problem. After reading the service manual, looking at the left side and trying every approach I could think of, the lid remains tightly stuck. The latch release simply bends and the cable does not move. I'm riding across the desert and really need access to my evaporative vest, which is in the left pannier. Can someone offer some specific steps before I beat the cover off with a rock? I'm mostly joking, but I'm at the end of my patience. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Ken

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Is it unlocked? Sometimes the lock is sticky too and the lock must be unlocked.
You can insert a long thin implement (or a stick about 1/4" diameter) in the top vent hole in front of the lock. Insert the stick with a blunt end into the hole about 8 or 9 inches and try to catch the latch lever and push rearward. Aim the stick for a spot about an inch or so below the lock. It may take some groping to hit the latch lever, but that should open it. Often a bump or blow the the pannier lid will allow the latch to release. Try light pressure on the latch lever while striking the lid toward the center of the bike.

After you get it open I recommend un-bolting the seat latch mechanism. That way if (when) it happens again you can simply remove the seat and operate the latch by hand.

Good luck

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Try lifting the lid from the bottom, and pushing in at the same time pulling lever. This take the pressure off the latches. Might have to work at it. I got caught in a sand storm and the mechanism got all gritted up from the dirt and sand. After you get it open unbolt the seat latch so if it happen again you can reach in under the seat and pull the latching bar with your hand. When you get time, thoroughly clean out the Honda grease, with a spry solvent (WD40) And re lube with a spray lube. I use a Silicone spray about twice a month. Then When closing in the future be gentle. Do not slam lid. Hold passenger rail with one hand and gently push lid closed with other hand. Placing hand between the latches. I have never had any more problems with my lids. Hope this technique works for you. Same thing happen to me on my first Shake down trip. http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?1252-Now-amp-Then’s-Shake-down-Cruise&highlight= Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Last edited:
Bike
Bonneville T120
I'm sorry that this will be so vague, but it's been a long time. I think you can access the cable that goes between the two sides if you take the seat off.
Like I said I'm sorry I can't provide more but I think it would be worth taking the seat off and looking around.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I'm sorry that this will be so vague, but it's been a long time. I think you can access the cable that goes between the two sides if you take the seat off.
Like I said I'm sorry I can't provide more but I think it would be worth taking the seat off and looking around.
Yeah, but ...

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Taking the seat of helps If it isn't the left lid jammed. you can reach in between the seat hold down loop and the passenger handrail bolt and pop the lid by pushing the push rod. if it is the left one you will have to go thru the front vents with something fairly stiff to push the latch open.

The cure as mentioned before is to clean off the factory grease and use a dry lube so sand or stone dust in my case won't bind up the latches.

OP
OP
ken

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Thanks for the help. I cleaned and siliconed (?) all the moving parts and, just in case, disabled the seat latch. As always, this forum is a font of information. Soon I'll be home to the liquid heat of Louisiana. Ken

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I'm going to bump this one up because I just experienced the same issue today at work. Left lid stuck closed, got it to release a couple of times by lifting up on the cover while nudging the lid inward, etc. When opened up and the seat off, the 2 latches and linkage seem to work freely. My issue seems to be in the left side lid release lever -- something is out of whack either between the key and the lever, or the lever and the latch/linkage mechanism. There's resistance in that little plastic under-rail latch lever.

2010 NT770VA with only 2900 miles, purchased new in 2015, and I treat my stuff gently, including closing the lids gently since seeing Sountechguy's videos on Youtube early on. Well, glad I hit this snag locally and not on a road trip. Now I know a bit about how my bike works. Nice to know from this forum that you can jimmy it open through the vent holes.

Will post more as I dig into this.....

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
If you want to separate the issue to the lock or the latch I believe you can disconnect the cable from the lock mech. That leaves just the latch in service. I have never disconnected the left side but the right was pretty easy to get to if I remember right.
Good luck in the inner workings of one of the NT's not so finer points.

Brad

Top Bottom