Left pannier stuck shut

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Just got the thing home yesterday, so this is my first tech question.

I opened the left side pannier to check the function prior to purchase, but now I'm home with the thing and the pannier seems stuck shut.

Is there a secret key-turn or knee bump called for in order to open the the cover?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Just got the thing home yesterday, so this is my first tech question.

I opened the left side pannier to check the function prior to purchase, but now I'm home with the thing and the pannier seems stuck shut.

Is there a secret key-turn or knee bump called for in order to open the the cover?

Thanks in advance,

Rick
Insert ignition key and rotate clockwise. You will feel resistance. It should rotate about 90º and then stop. Open the lever under the left side grab handle. This is how it is "designed" to work however over time crud builds up in the mechanism and it will seem balky. It is a good idea to clean and lube the mechanism from time to time. If you've done that and it still won't open, get a ~1/4" wooden dowel or long screwdriver about 15" long and insert it in one of the vent slots on the front body of the pannier base. You will need to go by feel but you will at some point contact the latch mechanism with the tip of the dowel/screwdriver, Push the dowel toward the rear of the bike and you will hear a "click" and the pannier will open. It may take a few minutes of fiddling to find the latch but you will find it. Now that you have got it open, take the dowel and repeat the process except that when you make contact with the latch, mark the dowel with a Sharpie at the point where it enters the vent slot. Now you have an emergency tool that shows you how far to insert the dowel to contact the latch meachanism should this ever occur again. Keep the rod with you when you travel. Hope this helps!

Mike

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Insert ignition key and rotate clockwise. You will feel resistance. It should rotate about 90º and then stop. Open the lever under the left side grab handle. This is how it is "designed" to work however over time crud builds up in the mechanism and it will seem balky. It is a good idea to clean and lube the mechanism from time to time. If you've done that and it still won't open, get a ~1/4" wooden dowel or long screwdriver about 15" long and insert it in one of the vent slots on the front body of the pannier base. You will need to go by feel but you will at some point contact the latch mechanism with the tip of the dowel/screwdriver, Push the dowel toward the rear of the bike and you will hear a "click" and the pannier will open. It may take a few minutes of fiddling to find the latch but you will find it. Now that you have got it open, take the dowel and repeat the process except that when you make contact with the latch, mark the dowel with a Sharpie at the point where it enters the vent slot. Now you have an emergency tool that shows you how far to insert the dowel to contact the latch mechanism should this ever occur again. Keep the rod with you when you travel. Hope this helps!

Mike
Thank you sir! I was able to get it without using the dowel technique, but I plan to make one up and stash in the top box for unexpected snags.

Top Bottom