Less tire pressure better wear?

prof98801

My local service department told me that if I reduced my front tire pressure from 36psi to 33psi and the rear from 42psi to 39psi that I would see better tire wear. What do you think?

I will assume you have BT-020 tires. If so in the case of the front you will get a less even wear pattern. This after experience with about three bikes that loved to cup the fronts and the NT with the Bridgestone is one of them. In each case several service departments of local Honda MC dealers said raise the pressures of the fronts to slow down the cupping. In the case of the NT they recommended going to 40 psi perhaps even higher as I recall. I think the max is 42. 40 is what I tried but it was too late to help much as the BT is an extremely soft rubber and once it starts cupping your pretty much down the drain. I have never heard that lowering pressures on a road tire will give you anything except a slightly softer ride.

Last edited:
Bike
Silver NT700V
I have found that running with lowered pressures increases wear and makes handling worse. The increased wear manifests mainly in the flattening of the rear tire and cupping in the front. Handling is improved by running at the pressures recommended in the manual. Same is holding true of BT023s as well as the original BT020s.

Ruby

Same here, with a little over 5k on tires and a recent service at 4k I noticed cupping of the front tire and more wear in center of rear tire.
I am going to try a little less also to see if the problem can be corrected. Has anyone replaced tires yet who can post what they got out of the first set?

Bike
Silver NT700V
I got 12,500 miles on the OEM BT020s. The rear was quire flat in cross section and just down to the wear indicators. The front was cupped but had plenty of rubber left. I replaces both with BT023s to keep a matched set.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Has anyone replaced tires yet who can post what they got out of the first set?

Brian, I replaced my OEM tires at 6,004 miles. The rear was pretty-well squared off. I live out in the scenic flat part of Colorado and spend probably 90-95% of my miles going in a straight line. The front probably would have lasted another 2-3,000 miles, but I was leaving on 4100 mile trip and didn't feel like having to spend a day tire hunting. The front was begiining to cup pretty badly at 6,000 miles.

My 2nd set of tires were BT-023s and I got 10K from the front and 8K from the rear. I replaced them with a set of Metzler ME-880s, a radial front and a bias-ply rear. I did this after a conversation with Bob Higdon of the Iron Butt Association. He had 30,000 miles on his NT in 10 months (ended up trading it in on a 2nd '10 ABS at 36K miles). He said that the Metzlers were made out "pure carbon" and would last forever. I got 15,000 from the front and 12,000 from the rear but they have been replaced with another set of BT-023s.

BTW, I run 36 and 42 psi.

I got 12.5k out of the OEM BS BT020 but the front looked like a knobbie by then from cupping and the rear was worn into the wear bars with a noticable excess wear on the left side. I am about 6k into a set of RoadSmarts and they have only a slight flattening of the rear and the front looks great. I do keep 39-40 in the front and 40-42 in the rear.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I got a little over 8000 miles on the originals and I should have changed them out earlier. I have to admit that I could have kept on top of tire pressure a little better.

Ruby

Thanks guys for all the great information on pressure and wear. Looks like I am running about the same pressure as you all and from the looks of my tires should get between 8000 and 10000 miles out of them. I have heard good things about the Metzler tires from some riders at work, I may have to give a set of those a try in the spring.
Thanks guys!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Brian, Which Metzlers are they talking about? I tried the ME-880s and they lasted well and gave me all the grip I needed. But I have to admit that the BT-023s I've got again feel better. I'll probably try a set of Dunflop Roadsmart 2s or Michelin Pilot 3s next.

When I went to a 'track day' at the local closed circuit track (2.5 miles) the racing gurus told me to lower the pressures in the tires to 36 and I did and I haven't changed it back. On the first set of OEM 020's I think I got about 7000 and replaced them with BT 023s and have been very happy with them.

Terry

OP
OP

prof98801

Did you put 36 in both front and rear? The front already states 36psi.

Ruby

Phil ,
Believe it or not I used to sell auto tires, I know little of motorcycle tires. Brand is important but composition and how you ride is also a big factor.
Most of the guys at work either ride Wings or Sport bikes(nice ones). They have alot more cash and can aford the higher priced tires like the Metzler brand (from my online shopping observations) I did not ask them details on the model of the Metzlers they run, much different tire than what the NT runs I am guessing.
I ran Bridstone on my Magna and those served me pretty well 8k-10k.
I have a few thousand miles to do some more research but I will look into the BT 023 also though. I am also thrifty but not cheap especially with my bike, safety, performance.
Thanks for the info.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Brian, My Honda dealer (Sun Enterprises in Denver) has the BT-023s for less than any of the other of the major sport-touring tires (Dunlop, Metzler, or Michelin). I don't know if Bridgestone gives them a deal or not, but the BT-023s are $280 a pair; the others are above $325. Obviously, there are online sale prices that are lower on all tires, but the BT-023s are pretty close to the online sale prices.

Ruby

Spoke based on my search for my previous bike tire size. Assumed Magna or Sport bike tire price on the Metzeler was going to be the same.
Not too bad a difference on the NT sizes, My apologies to Metzeler brand.

Ruby

Do you mount your own or let them do it? I have been studying the Honda NT Service manual. Pretty confident I can R&R the rear wheel if I have an hour or two.
I used to change my magna tires with some elbow and some ivory soap, I used 1 coated bar to start the removal then all hands off and back on. Never had a problem. I am a little afraid to take it to the local Honda dealer because there are no other NTs in the area,(everyone that sees mine compliments on it or says when they first saw it thought it was a BMW 800) although it will go to them for the 8k service in a few months. hopefully some experience by then. BTW I have been posting alot lately but I really like the forum and the great data sharing.
PS - check out that pic of my 11 yr old on the NT, I have a feeling she will take it away from me in a few years! She loves to ride.
Thanks

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I let someone else change my tires. I could do it myself, but I've had five knee replacements and the getting up and down takes it out of me.

Top Bottom