Lewis and Clark Trail - 2017

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
In looking at my states visited map, I have a big gap in the Pacific Northwest states. What better way to visit those states, I sez to myself, than to plan on retracing Lewis and Clark's route from St. Louis west? So, God willing, in May of next year, that is what I will do. Has anybody on the forum taken this route before? If so, chime in and let me know what to see and what not to see. If possible, I'd like to meet up with some of you as I pass nearby.

Mike

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Chris:

It would likely be the last two weeks of May, but based upon your post, even that sounds "iffy".

Mike

Bike
2011 NT
Kind of like guessing weather or not Bear tooth pass is open in the middle of June. A couple of years ago my nephew and I was trying to go around Crater Lake, Or the last week of June and some areas were still covered with snow.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Hmmmmm..... maybe August is a better timeframe then....

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
In the high country the weather can be pretty ragged almost anytime. I remember getting a few FEET of snow in the mountains of Idaho on August 27. When I woke up in the AM I noticed the ridge pole of my big tent was lower than it had been the day before, but it was still up. I was on horesback and the horses had difficuty. That was in about 1965.

I hit rain, wind, snow, lightning, and a little hail on top of Bear Tooth Pass right after NATSTOC a couple years ago. I had good heated gear on, but some Harley riders with their leather vests and dew rags didn't look happy.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Mike,
I like Daboo's idea of making Spearfish part of the route. I am not familiar enough with Lewis and Clark routes (yet) but I think making the Spearfish rally heading west is a good idea. Bring your maps and a general idea of what you want to see and you will have more than enough people to help you fine tune. It can be warm in the west that time of year but a evaporative vest works well (large zip lock bag to store and recharge). Aug and Sep can be complicated by fires and smoke.

Look at Spearfish to Red Lodge MT via Big Horns; Cody WY via Beartooth, Chief Joseph Hwy; Cody morning ride on BB Cody Scenic byway to Yellowstone Lake Lodge breakfast (In afternoon Yellowstone roads fills with RVs); then ... north to Glacier NP (Going-to-Sun road) or south thru Teton NP.

Do you have access to military places? Camping or Motels?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Shoot, I might be willing to join you for some of that, if you want company.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I made a reservation at the Red Lion in Post Falls Idaho for the BMW MOA Getaway on September 16-18.

I almost didn't ask if they had a military discount. I'm glad I did. The military rate was 30% off. Nice...

Chris
Chris ... I'll be at the Reno Air Races that weekend or I would be there.

If you like camping ... one of the MOA guys is going to this:
http://www.valleybmwriders.com/index.php?option=com_jem&view=event&id=6112:last-chanceq-camp-n-ride-oroville-wa

Canadian Chapter camping in WA. Everyone welcome.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
mike, MONG THINGS NOT MENTIONED IS THE bUFFALO bILL mUSEUM IN cOEY wt, iT NEEDS A FULL DAY AT LEAST! MORE IF YOU REALLY TAKE TIME TO READ ALL OF THE DATA JUST IN THE WINCHESTER, COLT ETC AS THEY HAVE A FANTASTIC COLLECTION OF FIREARMS OF THE OLD WEST, there IS A NICE koa JUST A COUPLE BLOCKS UP THE STREET FROM THE MUSEUM.

nother interesting stopis just outside of Baker city ,Oregon at the Oregon Trail Memorial a four - 6 hour visitation.

Eldon

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'm actively planning my Lewis and Clark adventure and I will make a detour to visit Spearfish as was suggested. I have written each State in the journey requesting a copy of theor latest road map so I can most closely approximate L&C's route. The best State by far is South Dakota who has cleverly numbered their routes. Route 1804 retraces L&C's journey West while Route 1806 retraces their return journey East. The most disappointing state is Washington (sorry Chris's) who does NOT as I can determine offer a free state road map. They will kindly sell me one for eight bucks though! If they can't afford to send me a free map, maybe I can't afford to visit their state. In any event, I will plan on my departure from home to coincide with an arrival on Wednesday in Spearfish. I still haven't decided whether to try and book a room at Bell's or use the campground. Also, I'm not sure I will be at Spearfish for the whole event as I only have a limited amount of vacation time. I will advise further details shortly. I'm looking forward to seeing y'all.

Mike

Top Bottom