Likely the Best Ride Ever

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
One would think after 44,000 miles in three years on the NT alone, I would have already had the best ride ever. And I likely have thought that until Sunday the 7th of September.

I was taking off on a week long vacation, heading down to the Roanoke, VA area to meet a good friend, do some riding, kayaking and more riding.. I wasn't able to leave town till Sunday morning. I hit the road a little after 10am and headed out east on Rt.47.

I rode Rt.47 East to Linn, WV where I went east on U.S.33 to Weston, WV. All twisty filled two lane. From Weston to Elkins, WV it is expressway however once in Elkins I chose to ride the twisty filled U.S.250 all the way to Monterey, VA.

At Monterey I headed south on U.S.220 through Warm Springs, VA and all the way into Covington, VA. The weather was cloudy with a huge chance of rain. I hit damp roads once on U.S.220 south of Warm Springs, however I quickly ran out of that. At Covington, I took Rt.18 south to Paint Bank where I jumped onto Rt.311 and carved the turns across Potts Mountain on my way to Salem, VA.

I kept thinking, "Wow, can't believe that"... Several times that came to mind especially once I pulled off Rt.311 onto the little back road headed to my friends house. What makes this the best ride ever? Well, in all those miles, I never got slowed down from my 5 over pace, never had to pass a car although three cars pulled over to let me by as quickly as I got behind them. One rider on a Harley waved me by in the twisties on U.S.250 south of Huttonsville, VA and it was open road the majority of the way.

An un-interrupted 300 mile ride full of WV and VA twisties ! ? How can it get better than that. I doubt that will ever happen again..

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Twisties and light traffic, the riding gods were good to you. I have a favorite stretch of road along Lake Michigan, when there is no traffic you can cruse along over the speed limit. Just a nice ride down to one of my favorite hamburger places Redamark, old fashion wax paper wrapped burgers (only issue lots of Chicago area tourist at times).
I hope to enjoy some of those roads in just a few days in WV. Michigan does not have anywhere near the quality of roads you find in the eastern mountain region.

OP
OP
WVRider

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Twisties and light traffic, the riding gods were good to you. I have a favorite stretch of road along Lake Michigan, when there is no traffic you can cruse along over the speed limit. Just a nice ride down to one of my favorite hamburger places Redamark, old fashion wax paper wrapped burgers (only issue lots of Chicago area tourist at times).
I hope to enjoy some of those roads in just a few days in WV. Michigan does not have anywhere near the quality of roads you find in the eastern mountain region.
Hope you enjoy the ride here in WV and your trip down and back.

Top Bottom