Liking the national cycle V-stream

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had several different windscreens in my 145K miles on two '10 NTs. The V-Stream is by far my favorite.

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
It's soooo big. In the lowest position the bike looks like a bagger sans the top case.
Makes a nice clean pocket of air in any position.
Put on this Trans AM sticker, took 2 attempts (purchases)!
20220218_160821.jpg
I love my V-Stream shield mine is modified with 2.5 inches higher mounting holes to make it lower with cut off the bottom instead of cutting the top of the shield. cooler in the summer but plenty high and wide enough for me in cold weather use.https://www.nt-owners.org/forums/attachments/20200802_122517-jpg.17485/

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
It is good in the So Cal Winters. Not so much for the Summers, though.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"So Cal Winters...Brillot2000"

You mean when it drops below 70 F. :rofl1:

As a born & raised Angelino who's lived in Ohio since 1990, I couldn't help that dig. My sister lives in Canoga Park and when she complains about the cold winter days, I try not to chuckle too much.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
"So Cal Winters...Brillot2000"

You mean when it drops below 70 F. :rofl1:

As a born & raised Angelino who's lived in Ohio since 1990, I couldn't help that dig. My sister lives in Canoga Park and when she complains about the cold winter days, I try not to chuckle too much.
I was born in Panorama City and spent the first five years of my life in Pacoima. I was then raised in the Antelope Valley. My Grandparents lived in Sun Valley, 1.5 miles from where I live now.

I will let you know that the San Fernando Valley Winter lows have consistently gotten down to 36° for the last several years. That is freezing for most of us out here.
🥶

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Bruce - yes, I know about the sometimes-dramatic changes in weather out there because of my sister and other relatives. :)

ps. after 2-months of a brutal winter in OH, a daytime high of 36 means I'll walk to my mailbox wearing shorts, t-shirt and sandals - all a function of acclimatization.

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Bruce - yes, I know about the sometimes-dramatic changes in weather out there because of my sister and other relatives. :)

ps. after 2-months of a brutal winter in OH, a daytime high of 36 means I'll walk to my mailbox wearing shorts, t-shirt and sandals - all a function of acclimatization.
As a kid back in 1977 or 1978. I could remember seeing snow on the San Gabriel Mountains above Sylmar. I also remember torrential rains that would flood the streets and thunderstorms. I can remember my mother walking me to school to the elementary school there in Pacoima. Streets are flooded I wore rain boots and a raincoat. I was terrified of the lightning in the thunder. When the 1980s came, the Weather pattern changed significantly.

To get back on subject. I only install my V-stream windshield during the colder winter months.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Yeah... we would have liked it... ;)

Parcel arrived Friday morning, me at GF's place in the afternoon, I grab my toolbag out the van, walk up to her bike, unpack the bubble-wrap on the screen... and started packing it again...
Bug-splash on it and a nice 3" crack at RHS upper mounting hole... :rolleyes:
Someone had returned a damaged "used" one, fools at the warehouse didn't check and shelved it...

Returned it at the store today, in back-order, 3~4 weeks...

IMG_20220923_172957.jpg

OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
NT700v, MG v85tt, KTM 690
Can you share where you got that awesome trans am sticker? Thanks
Not sure, fleabay err ebay if I recall. I had to order twice as the first instalation I botched. They come in many sizes maybe like 6 or 7 inches. Just search Trans Am stickers

Bike
2010 NT700V
The V-Stream is great. The NT's height adjustment mechanism, not so great. With enough speed and strong enough headwinds I've seen the V-Stream lower itself from highest position all the way down.

Conditions need to be pretty extreme for this though. At the time I was on I-40 in NM (east of Albuquerque) heading west 85-90mph. Winds coming at me were probably 25-45 mph.

Just ordered one of these windscreens. Fingers crossed I won't be looking right through the top of it. Could always cut it down as others have done.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Well, gonna have to "update" my GF's '06 NT to a '08...

In upper position she's looking right through the screen...

In the lower position the V-Stream won't fit...

IMG_20221022_142947.jpg

Had to trim the darn thing...

IMG_20221022_152433.jpg

Now on the search for the adjustable windscreen mechanic of a '08 onward...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Now on the search for the adjustable windscreen mechanic of a '08 onward...
Great, managed to source the parts (both slide rails and the garnish cover) for under € 300,- at a dutch breaker... :cool:
(stopped checking prices on new parts when it went beyond eye-watering € 1000-... :eek: )
We'll see how the transplant works out...

Success!! Can't even describe how happy I am right now. In over 20 years, I've had one bike that had clean, quiet air: A BMW R100T with vetter fairing and a giant windshield. Had a BMW R1100RT that was pretty good, too, but not great. In the past 15 years or so I've tried different windscreens on every bike I've owned, trying for zero buffeting. I've spent thousands on windscreens, and in almost all cases just took them off and made the bike as "naked" as possible. ALL of them had too much buffeting. The National Cycle screen arrived earlier today and I just took the bike for a spin. Absolutely ZERO buffeting in ALL positions! In the lowest, I'm looking well over the screen and getting good airflow. At the highest position I'm looking through it, but it's the cone of silence I was looking for. I can ride very comfortably at all speeds without earplugs, which is just fantastic. I'm a musician and very protective of my hearing.

I absolutely love this bike. Hard to believe I paid so little for it. Every time I ride it I enjoy it more and more. If I had storage I swear I'd buy a spare.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If I was a musician, I'd still wear earplugs, even if I was using the National Cycle screen. I'm not and I do. I will never ride without earplugs. I've got tinnitus and wear hearing aids when I'm not riding.

If I was a musician, I'd still wear earplugs, even if I was using the National Cycle screen. I'm not and I do. I will never ride without earplugs. I've got tinnitus and wear hearing aids when I'm not riding.
On long rides I will, but it's great to not have to for shorter ones. With the windscreen and my Schuberth helmet, it's really very quiet. Trust me, I'm very aware of the dangers of noise. One of the things I do for a living is noise surveys and occupational noise dosimetry studies.

Top Bottom