Long miles between valve adjustment

Bike
2010 silver NT700
HondaFan - I made this homemade extension specifically for the front cylinder's right exhaust rocker. The left rocker was OK to do and perhaps part or most of that is related to my being right handed? Anyhow, having the extra-long handle allowed me to come in from outside the fairing and have almost a straight shot. This way, I had a much more natural feel to how much drag I was feeling at the rocker arm.

P7140545.JPG
That is a good idea....I will give it a try. I broke my wrist 10 years ago and it was wired and in a cast for 9 weeks. Although I went to PT, I never got the full range of movement back. It makes some tasks in tight places hard to do. I always had trouble getting the front valve cover on and off. I am going to try your tip of opening the front exhaust valves first. Makes sense.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
I found the front exhaust virtually impossible to adjust from the rear. I took the radiator out and did them from the front....much easier and more accurate. Changed the anti freeze at the same time.
Ditto...
Gave it a complete overhaul when I got my GF the used '07 with 36,000km... (you never know what POs had omitted/neglected...)
Also inspect the cam-chain tensioners & guides (they've wear indicators, visible when valve covers are off...)
I thing I'll do the next full inspection of this kind at 60,000km...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
HondaFan - During my last valve clearance check, I had an "ah...haaa" moment which is rare for me!

I always do the valves on the rear cylinder FIRST because it's so easy to access once the airbox is removed. Once those were done, I reinstalled the rear cover then I turned the crank until the mark showed "TF" which means TDC front cylinder and this was when the lightbulb in my pea brain came ON.

With the crank at "TF" both exhaust rockers are UP making rocker cover removal difficult. So I continued to turn the crank about 1/4 turn so the exhausts would open (with rockers DOWN), then I had plenty to room to get the cyl head cover past the frame crossbar. With the cover removed, I turned the crank almost of full rotation to get it back to TF and checked the valves. And of course, once that was done I did the 1/4 turn of the crank to get the ex rockers down so I could reinstall the cyl head cover. ;)

ps. I've never removed the radiator to do a clearance check and have always devised "workarounds" to avoid radiator removal because anti-freeze draining makes such a mess...at least it does for me!

Last edited:
Top Bottom